Suggestions for open source IP camera DVR OS

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dave1775
Level 1
Level 1

Suggestions for open source IP camera DVR OS

Post by dave1775 »

Hi everyone. I recently discovered that the night owl camera DVR system that I have is "obsolete" to the manufacturer. (I got it from BJs years back). They refuse to help me reset the password, so while I can view live camera feeds on the connected monitor, I can't setup the IP access through the network (I recently upgraded my router, and reconfigured all of the device in my lan.
Since night owl won't help me, I was wondering if there was a reliable open source OS for the networked DVR, that I could setup. Ultimately, I don't even really care if it'll record (although that'd be nice). I just want to be able to access the cameras from network devices besides the direct-connected (vga) monitor. I can see the dvr's ip on my router's admin area, but can't login to them to view the feeds.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Suggestions for open source IP camera DVR OS

Post by Hoser Rob »

Searching "linux night owl camera" gets me nothing. They seem to have zero Linux support so it's pretty unlikely. Much more likely they use proprietary code of their own.

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher »

Open Source option is going to be ZoneMinder. That'll run services on your linux machine that will access the IP camera. But are you having troubles with the DVR password or the IP camera password?

I have Reolink cameras and there is a password for the IP cameras as well. If I have to reset the IP camera password then I have to connect the camera directly to the lan via ethernet cable and press the reset switch on the camera for 5 seconds. Then connect to the ip camera via the reolink app and reset that way.

Then I can change the wifi connection on the ip camera to my new wifi broadcast etc etc. And then set zoneminder up to access the ip camera which then in turns allows me to see the camera footage from either the zoneminder host or client iphone via zmnija.

Hope it helps

SpookyWatcher

dave1775
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave1775 »

The cameras aren't WiFi, they're wired to the DVR (I ran the cabling through my attic and installed myself). The DVR is networked (rj-45), which is what shows up in my network still. The DVR is also connected to a tv, via VGA, so I can view the cameras on that. That DVR has a USB mouse, which I can use to access settings, but when you try to do that, it wants you to login. That is the username and password I've lost (setup 3-4 years ago).
Because the DVR is networked, it has a local IP interface, but again, that requires login. If I recall, that interface username and password, and the direct DVR one, are independent (I remember thinking it was a stupid design). I know the DVR has a hard drive (I think 500gb), but I don't know if the OS runs on the HDD, or some other ROM storage.
Night owl support is useless, and ignores me. I was hoping to flash the DVR with something open source, in order to access the cameras locally over the network. The camera/DVR system was from BJ's and had 4 cameras. It's the BJP series: https://support.nightowlsp.com/hc/en-us ... ur-Series-

Return to “Newbie Questions”