HP printer driver problem (solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP printer driver problem

Post by Slowpoke47 »

jglen490 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:52 pm
Not supposed to ...

Also looks like I copied an extra "ppd" in the suggested chmod command entry. It should be

Code: Select all

sudo chmod a+rwx HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP.ppd
Many thanks for the speedy response. I'll follow your guidance. This has been quite an adventure!
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Screenshot at 2019-12-17 16-10-24.png
Not sure where to go with this...

Scanning still not enabled.
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:13 pm

First: please use the code box to paste you output from the terminal in - it makes it a lot easier to help you and you can provide all the output
How to do this you ask - at the top of the POST A REPLY there are a bunch of incons - the 5th one from the left looks like this </> click on that on you will get two instance of the word code with brackets [ ] past your output between them.

OK the sudo chmod a+rwx should get rid of the

warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP.ppd ppd file
you can run hp-check to make sure

Now the

warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.
I am not even sure why the warnings should stop things from working - they didn't stop my printer from printing or scanning with or without the warnings as long as I had no errors.

So far everything I find on the internet to fix this you have done - it is basically running the chmod commands then the .run files or running the hp-plugin command which has not worked without errors for me but runs OK for others. I am starting to think this is a bug with the HP 1522nf printer. I have removed and reinstalled hplip four time both with the repo version and 3.19.12 with hp-set/hp-plugin and manually and running the .run files from the terminal and have had success except with the hp-plugin command on the repo version and when I tried to install 3.17.11 plugin on the 3.17.10 hplip. Without having an HP 1522nf to test this with and not being real linux expert let alone an HP plugin expert I am out of ideas other than removing any trace hplip to include using the locate and rm commands rebooting and systematically starting from scratch (I have done several times) executing the the three chmod commands and then running the .run files again on a squeaky clean - hplip wise - system.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

majpooper wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:38 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:13 pm

First: please use the code box to paste you output from the terminal in - it makes it a lot easier to help you and you can provide all the output
How to do this you ask - at the top of the POST A REPLY there are a bunch of incons - the 5th one from the left looks like this </> click on that on you will get two instance of the word code with brackets [ ] past your output between them.

OK the sudo chmod a+rwx should get rid of the

you can run hp-check to make sure

Now the

warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.
I am not even sure why the warnings should stop things from working - they didn't stop my printer from printing or scanning with or without the warnings as long as I had no errors.

So far everything I find on the internet to fix this you have done -
Your effort much appreciated. The scanning issue relates to the plugin, because printing, as noted, works correctly. When running that install, via terminal auto-download or local download in folder, each time generates two conflicting messages- 'plugin installed' and 'plugin needed'. I think my next move will be to replace this driver/plugin version with an older one. I don't care about the vintage, just need the scanner to scan. Problem arose because the repo version is not supported with a matching plugin.

Thanks for the tip re the icons. Evert forum I've used does things a little differently...
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:56 pm
Thanks for the tip re the icons. Evert forum I've used does things a little differently...
Hey - you know there is a hplip 3.17.11 and a 3.17.11 plugin

You can try running the 3.17.11 .run files but a couple of things
- Make sure you run all the chmod commands
- May have to uninstall 3.19.12 hplip and plugin

And this just hit me - keep in mind I am a pretty clueless linux hack - but . . . . when I open my HP device manager i.e. HPLIP and click on about it tells me it's 3.19.12 - great. However it also tells me it is powered by python - just so happens I have both python 2 and python 3 installed . I think only python 2 comes loaded with Mint by default - not sure about this but I think so. So I am wondering if hplip is using python 3 for later versions and that maybe the problem. This is just a WAG may have no impact at all.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

majpooper wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:25 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:56 pm
Hey - you know there is a hplip 3.17.11 and a 3.17.11 plugin

You can try running the 3.17.11 .run files but a couple of things
- Make sure you run all the chmod commands
- May have to uninstall 3.19.12 hplip and plugin

And this just hit me - keep in mind I am a pretty clueless linux hack -
Yes, that may be the version I'll try- tomorrow's project. It's about three or so years old. The 3 or 4 most recent versions are all within the last few months. If HP tries enough times, maybe they'll get it right.

You claim to be clueless- so where does that leave me? I probably wouldn't know a clue if it came up wearing a sign and introduced itself.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

jglen490 wrote:
Not supposed to ...

Also looks like I copied an extra "ppd" in the suggested chmod command entry. It should be

This evening, I happened upon an HP troubleshooting page about networked scanners. Not sure relevant, but I thought it's worth passing along.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

pbear wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:55 am
jglen490 wrote:
Not supposed to ...

This evening, I happened upon an HP troubleshooting page about networked scanners. Not sure relevant, but I thought it's worth passing along.
A big thank you- the first scenario on that page looks definitely worth trying- but as a new Mint user, I don't know how to translate the syntax in the example to my own particulars.

(Where the CUPS installed device URI is: hp:/net/PSC_750?ip=12.25.63.142, and the hp: was replaced with hpaio:)

The printer is HP LaserJet M1522nf MFP and the LAN address is 192.168.1.4:9100. Could I please prevail upon you once again to guide me in the translation?

I was going to start over today with an older version of the HP software, but you may have the answer!
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP
-----------------------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: socket://192.168.1.4:9100
This is, as you have found out, a perfectly good URI for printing. It is completely unsuitable for getting your HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP automatically found by simple-scan or xsane. You have been told about this before.
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP.ppd
PPD Description:
This has nothing to do with scanning. Changing permissions on the PPD lowers security and is a waste of time.
Printer status: printer HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP is idle. enabled since Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:37:23 AM EST
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices
This has everything to do with your issue. HPLIP even tells you what the problem is (and you have been told about this before in another thread). pbear has pointed you to an HP solution.

Keep saying to yourself:
I must change the printer URI
for as long as it takes to stick.
--
Brian.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

brian_p wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:25 am
HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP
-----------------------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: socket://192.168.1.4:9100
This is, as you have found out, a perfectly good URI for printing. It is completely unsuitable for getting your HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP automatically found by simple-scan or xsane. You have been told about this before.
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP.ppd
PPD Description:
This has nothing to do with scanning. Changing permissions on the PPD lowers security and is a waste of time.
Printer status: printer HP-LaserJet-M1522nf-MFP is idle. enabled since Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:37:23 AM EST
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices
This has everything to do with your issue. HPLIP even tells you what the problem is (and you have been told about this before in another thread). pbear has pointed you to an HP solution.

Keep saying to yourself:
for as long as it takes to stick.

I'm back reviewing my original thread on this scanner issue to see if my comprehension has progressed. Please understand, my problem is not that I'm dense or impatient- rather it is that the terminology and syntax that is second nature to you and others who have responded on my behalf is a foreign language to me. Compounding the difficulty is that I was not aware of some of the techniques here on this forum, such as using the highlighted code boxes. In the past year, I have absorbed a little of the terminology, etc., but what for you is a simple operation has me scratching my head due to lack of underlying knowledge and/or context of how Mint works.

I have been reading beginner literature and had some "aha" moments, but still largely lost. Perhaps I have advanced enough since you gave up on me on that thread to make some headway. Believe me, it's not for lack of trying. Also, I'm afraid of shooting myself in the foot. I have made a couple of serious blunders and recovered only with help.

As in the past, thank you for your assistance.

EDIT- In looking back I see that the .3 part of the local printer address is now .4. This was not something I consciously did, but that's the current status, I'll just go with that.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:11 am
I don't know how to translate the syntax in the example to my own particulars.
That's why I addressed my post to jglen490.
jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

@slowpoke47

I looked at the reference pbear provided. So there are two basic questions: is the device (your printer) configured to scan, and are you in the "scanner" group.

So let's address the second question first, "are you in the scanner group?" so open a terminal and enter the following:

groups
Copy the output from the terminal and put that output into a CODE box in your reply. The CODE box is added to a response by clicking the </> button on the Post A Reply toolbar. When the two code tags are displayed, put your cursor between them and paste what you copied there.

What we're looking for in the response we're looking for the term "scanner" to show up. If it does, then your user name is a part of the scanner group. If not you can add yourself to the scanner group by entering the following in a terminal:

sudo usermod -g scanner <your user name>
just replace <your user name> with your actual user that you are logged in with. If that gives an error, there is another way to do the same thing, so come back and tell us.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

pbear wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:09 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote:
I thought your post was addressed to everyone reading it. There are other ways to conduct a private conversation,
--
Brian.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Followed jglen490's instructions and copied and pasted <groups> into a terminal. Two lines of text were generated. But when I selected 'select all>copy' and pasted it here this is the result:

I'm back reviewing my original thread on this scanner issue to see if my comprehension has progressed.  Please understand, my problem is not that I'm dense or impatient- rather it is that the terminology and syntax that is second nature to you and others who have responded on my behalf is a foreign language to me. Compounding the difficulty is that I was not aware of some of the techniques here on this forum, such as using the highlighted code boxes.  In the past year, I have absorbed a little of the terminology, etc., but what for you is a simple operation has me scratching my head due to lack of underlying knowledge and/or context of how Mint works.

I have been reading beginner literature and had some "aha" moments, but still mostly lost.  Perhaps I have advanced enough since you gave up on me on that thread to make some headway.  Believe me, it's not for lack of trying.  Also, I'm afraid of shooting myself in the foot. 
Here's a screenshot of the terminal window:
Screenshot at 2019-12-18 13-18-57.png
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

brian_p wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:23 pm
pbear wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:09 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote:
I thought your post was addressed to everyone reading it. There are other ways to conduct a private conversation,
Recreational outrage much? The point was that I hadn't addressed it to the OP, in part, because I didn't want to have to explain it to him.
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

jglen490 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:50 pm
@slowpoke47

I looked at the reference pbear provided. So there are two basic questions: is the device (your printer) configured to scan, and are you in the "scanner" group.
Being in the scanner group is a red herring and will lead Slowpoke47 into doing something which is completely unnecessary. For a start, he is not using USB. You (and others) are directed to read

https://wiki.debian.org/Scanner
--
Brian.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Reviewing this post: viewtopic.php?p=1700156#p1700156

Checked the CUPS site- already did this, looks ok. Then, the second line of command code cited by brian_p. Since, as mentioned, the printer LAN address now shows as .4 instead of .3 (?) I ran the command both ways:
Screenshot at 2019-12-18 13-48-21.png
Is there further to go with this?
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

Recreational outrage much? The point was that I hadn't addressed it to the OP, in part, because I didn't want to have to explain it to him.
I left off replying to the response to your helpful post because I thought some assistance and guidance would be forthcoming.

From previously:
A big thank you- the first scenario on that page looks definitely worth trying- but as a new Mint user, I don't know how to translate the syntax in the example to my own particulars.

(Where the CUPS installed device URI is: hp:/net/PSC_750?ip=12.25.63.142, and the hp: was replaced with hpaio:)

The printer is HP LaserJet M1522nf MFP and the LAN address is 192.168.1.4:9100. Could I please prevail upon you once again to guide me in the translation?
PSC_750 has no spaces. HP LaserJet M1522nf MFP has spaces. Replace them with an underbar ( _).

The LAN address is 192.168.1.4 (not 192.168.1.4:9100). Port 9100 is a socket connection. This is exactly what is not wanted.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:49 pm
Reviewing this post: viewtopic.php?p=1700156#p1700156

Checked the CUPS site- already did this, looks ok. Then, the second line of command code cited by brian_p. Since, as mentioned, the printer LAN address now shows as .4 instead of .3 (?) I ran the command both ways:

Screenshot at 2019-12-18 13-48-21.png

Is there further to go with this?
The second command needs to send the output somewhere. Add > output.pnm to it.
--
Brian.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

brian_p wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:53 pm

PSC_750 has no spaces. HP LaserJet M1522nf MFP has spaces. Replace them with an underbar ( _).

The LAN address is 192.168.1.4 (not 192.168.1.4:9100). Port 9100 is a socket connection. This is exactly what is not wanted.
So I will use: <xsane hpaio/net/HP_Laserjet_M1522nf_MFP?ip=192.168.4> upper/lower case like example on HP site, this exact command?

EDIT: Just noticed I omitted a colon after hpaio- so <xsane hpaio:/net/HP_Laserjet_M1522nf_MFP?ip=192.168.4>
Last edited by Slowpoke47 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Newbie Questions”