HP printer driver problem (solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP printer driver problem

Post by Slowpoke47 »

brian_p wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:27 pm
Yet another of my typos. It's ppd , not ppp.

Try both the first and third PPDs in the lpadmin and grep commands.

Code: Select all

sudo lpadmin -p testq -v hp:/net/hp_laserjet_m1522nf_mfp?ip=192.168.1.4 -E -P /etc/cups/ppd/1522.ppd
I am not particulary taken by your idea. But it your choice.
In each case, after entry, no further response.
Terminal at 2019-12-19 13-08-16.png
Jusr received this link in answer to a query. Nothing there I understand, but perhaps it would be helpful to others who know what they're doing: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... pages/scan
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

majpooper, thank you for your very supportive post. Supportive not just of me but of Slowpoke47 . We learn from each other; we try to help; we make mistakes in our helping.

I am not that knowledgeable, but I do know that, with the device Slowpoke47 has, an hp:/... printing URI is needed for automatic scanner operation.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:10 pm

No screen output is good. Can you print?

lp -d testq /etc/nsswitch
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

And how about the grep command asked for?
--
Brian.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Thanks both for the help and support. I can't do any more with this until tomorrow- I have to deal with a plumbing problem that won't wait...
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

brian_p wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:31 pm
You (and others) are directed to read
https://wiki.debian.org/Scanner
I've been rereading the thread out of curiosity (I like puzzles) and notice a follow-on article at your link: https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork.

I have long suspected the OP's problem is the network. By my reading, this article says that, for xsane to be able to access the scanner, it (xsane) must control the network. I submit this theory for your consideration, admitting my understanding of networks is pretty thin.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

pbear wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:06 am
brian_p wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:31 pm
You (and others) are directed to read
https://wiki.debian.org/Scanner
I've been rereading the thread out of curiosity (I like puzzles) and notice a follow-on article at your link: https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork.

I have long suspected the OP's problem is the network. By my reading, this article says that, for xsane to be able to access the scanner, it (xsane) must control the network. I submit this theory for your consideration, admitting my understanding of networks is pretty thin.
Thank you! I looked at this briefly but was intimidated by the terminology, just tried studying more deliberately and I get the gist of it. Still not completely clear, but looks promising. If my reading is correct, I may in fact have to go to an older hplip as the installed file is 3.19.12.

I'll be dealing with my aforementioned non-computer problem today, once the supply house opens. Once that's repaired, I'll be back. But the solution to the scan issue might well be on this site.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

The HPLIP version has nothing to do with the network issue. The latter is an xsane issue. Either it has to manage the network to work or it doesn't. One of the reasons I get further with stuff like this than you do is that I don't force conclusions. If brian says, nah, it'll work without managing the network I'll accept that and go back to scratching my head.

By contrast, you've decided the repo version of HPLIP doesn't have a matching plugin and won't hear otherwise. Of course it has a matching plugin. The Ubuntu 18.04 package base has been in service for twenty months. It's simply not possible this problem has been overlooked. Moreover, we know the plugin exists because I've installed it, several times, and posted terminal outputs to prove it. Nope, says Slowpoke the Stubborn, didn't work for me so doesn't exist. Yes it does. From my post in the other thread (terminal outputs snipped for clarity, full outputs at link):

pbear@vbox-mate-19-2:~$ apt install --install-recommends hplip-gui
pbear@vbox-mate-19-2:~$ hp-plugin

Plug-in version: 3.17.10
Installed HPLIP version: 3.17.10
Number of files to install: 42

note: Using PyQt5
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin

Done.
 Plug-in installation successful 

Done.

pbear@vbox-mate-19-2:~$ hp-plugin -i

Plug-in version: 3.17.10
Installed HPLIP version: 3.17.10
Number of files to install: 42

Done.
In both cases, the plugin installed to /usr/share/hplip/scan, just as it's supposed to. Rather than chase HPLIP halfway across the galaxy and back, you should figure out what you're doing wrong with the version you're supposed to be using, 3.17.10. Use the repo version, adding only hplip-gui and hplip-doc. The latter is especially useful, as it's the manual. Installs to /usr/share/doc/hplip-doc a series of HTML files viewable in your browser.

Having gotten this far, might as well mention one more thing. It's an outrageous imposition on those trying to help that you flat REFUSE to learn how to use code tags. They are very simple. You select the text you want to put in the code box, then hit the </> botton. Alternatively, you can type [code] and the beginning of the text you want to "box" and [/code] at the end. You're something like fifteen pages into this without learning something most newbies get by their third post. Quit giving yourself permission not to understand. It's selfish. Learn to use the damn code tags.
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Hi Pbear,

Yeah this has definitely turned into a cluster and Slowpoke does needs to start using the code tags. Part of the confusion is that Slowpoke started out installing .run files (hplip and plugins) in the terminal that he downloaded from the HP development site and in some places you, me and others were installing hplip and plugins via the hpgui - of couse Slowpoke being a novice pretty much got wrapped around the axial between the two methods. I can say in Slowpoke's defense the HP development site does not list a 3.17.10 plugin only a 3.17.11 pluging - running that with 3.17.10 hplip results in an error - I know I tried it.

Anyway - I can sense your frustration as well as Slopoke's. So I deleted my printer and purged hplip totally from my system and reinstalled it using your preferred method using the repo version installed from the hpgui using the hp-setup and hp-plugin commands and indeed that works.
Idid this

sudo apt install hplip
then this because I needed these dependencies

sudo apt install hplip-doc hplip-gui python3-notify2
then because I always do after I install packeges

sudo apt update
then

hp-setup
and then

hp-plugin
to check everything to fix my error I had to install

sudo apt install python3-dev
and

chmod a+rwx HP_Officejet_Pro_8610.ppd
to clear the warning

I am not really sure if it is necessary to remove all the left over hplip files that I found all over the place but I wanted to start fresh with a clean system. The concern is walking Slowpoke through that process as it is tedious (i.e. locate, rm -rf, updatedb commands and the residual stuff found in the synaptic package manager) until everything is removed. I found when I did the hp-setup it identified some missing dependencies so I had to install those as well (see above). Running hp-plugin ran OK and installed the 3.17.10 plugin just fine. when I ran hp-check I got a few warnings (not sure these even matter) and an error that I needed python3-dev package (not required for hplip but needed for the plugin ? ? ?). These were easy enough to fix, for me, but Slowpoke is not going to know how.

Since I have a different HP printer/scanner that always worked I have no way of knowing where Slowpoke's real issue is.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

majpooper wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:38 pm
... I wanted to start fresh with a clean system. The concern is walking Slowpoke through that process as it is tedious ..... These were easy enough to fix, for me, but Slowpoke is not going to know how.
As it happens, I've spent much of the day puzzling over that very problem. It's particularly acute as he has been at this since mid-October, so the system is now hopelessly tangled. IMHO, the only solution which has a reasonable prospect for success would be for him to do a fresh system installation. From there, installing the plugin, the GUI and the manual is easy. Indeed, I'm sure that's WHY I found it easy, because i was working with a fresh clean system. Whether Slowpoke will be willing to take this approach only he can say.

That still leaves the configuration and networking problems. With those, I'm unable to help. But at least he would have a sound foundation. Then the key would be to use a Timeshift snapshot to preserve the foundation as a safe harbor, so he won't have to reinstall yet again.
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

pbear wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:27 am
majpooper wrote:
... I wanted to start fresh with a clean system. The concern is walking Slowpoke through that process as it is tedious ..... These were easy enough to fix, for me, but Slowpoke is not going to know how.
As it happens, I've spent much of the day puzzling over that very problem. It's particularly acute as he has been at this since mid-October, so the system is now hopelessly tangled. IMHO, the only solution which has a reasonable prospect for success would be for him to do a fresh system installation. From there, installing the plugin, the GUI and the manual is easy. Indeed, I'm sure that's WHY I found it easy, because i was working with a fresh clean system. Whether Slowpoke will be willing to take this approach only he can say.

That still leaves the configuration and networking problems. With those, I'm unable to help. But at least he would have a sound foundation. Then the key would be to use a Timeshift snapshot to preserve the foundation as a safe harbor, so he won't have to reinstall yet again.
Agreed - he really should start with a clean system - I don't mess with VMs but I think I will set up 19.2 Mate in virtualbox (I could use a little hands on with vm anyway) and see what the steps reveal - I know you did that but I am curious what dependencies pop up as well as warnings and and errors on a fresh 19.2 Mate system.

But you are spot on once he has a "good" foundation then there are some serious network folks on this forum that can help with networking issues.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

brian_p wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:33 am

Also give the output of

grep NickName /etc/cups/ppp/1522.ppd

grep at 2019-12-22 09-56-06.png
Just now able to get back to this. Dealing with plumbing crisis last couple of days.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

brian_p wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:27 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote:

lp error at 2019-12-22 10-02-44.png
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Please don't interpret my attempts with this problem as stubbornness. And I don't yet know the details of the workings of this forum, also not out of stubbornness, rather out of shortcomings in my computer skills. Operations that you all take for granted are not in my repertoire. I have to blunder along in the dark and hope for sufficient bits of understanding to be able to avail myself of the guidance here.

For instance, I didn't understand that the repo driver pkg does in fact have a matching plugin until today when I read the posts submitted over the last couple of days, when I could not spend time on this issue. I would not have started this whole line of inquiry had I known that, and if that fact was mentioned here earlier, I didn't "get" it, again due to not being conversant with the terminology. I would be more than satisfied to go back to the repo file version. It was only recently that I realized what the code boxes are for.

I do "get" that the xsane question is not related to the driver version, but it seems that before anything else I need the driver/ plugin installed. I plan to study the posts made since last Thursday, and I expect what I will see there is assurance that I can get full function for this all-in-one with v. 3.17.10. If that is so, I'll try to get them installed.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

majpooper wrote:
Hi Pbear,

Yeah this has definitely turned into a cluster and Slowpoke does needs to start using the code tags. Part of the confusion is that Slowpoke started out installing .run files (hplip and plugins) in the terminal that he downloaded from the HP development site and in some places you, me and others were installing hplip and plugins via the hpgui - of couse Slowpoke being a novice pretty much got wrapped around the axial between the two methods. I can say in Slowpoke's defense the HP development site does not list a 3.17.10 plugin only a 3.17.11 pluging - running that with 3.17.10 hplip results in an error - I know I tried it.

Anyway - I can sense your frustration as well as Slopoke's. So I deleted my printer and purged hplip totally from my system and reinstalled it using your preferred method using the repo version installed from the hpgui using the hp-setup and hp-plugin commands and indeed that works.
Idid this

sudo apt install hplip
then this because I needed these dependencies

sudo apt install hplip-doc hplip-gui python3-notify2
then because I always do after I install packeges

sudo apt update
then

hp-setup
and then

hp-plugin
to check everything to fix my error I had to install

sudo apt install python3-dev
and

chmod a+rwx HP_Officejet_Pro_8610.ppd
to clear the warning

I am not really sure if it is necessary to remove all the left over hplip files that I found all over the place but I wanted to start fresh with a clean system. The concern is walking Slowpoke through that process as it is tedious (i.e. locate, rm -rf, updatedb commands and the residual stuff found in the synaptic package manager) until everything is removed. I found when I did the hp-setup it identified some missing dependencies so I had to install those as well (see above). Running hp-plugin ran OK and installed the 3.17.10 plugin just fine. when I ran hp-check I got a few warnings (not sure these even matter) and an error that I needed python3-dev package (not required for hplip but needed for the plugin ? ? ?). These were easy enough to fix, for me, but Slowpoke is not going to know how.

Since I have a different HP printer/scanner that always worked I have no way of knowing where Slowpoke's real issue is.
[/quote

Thank you for your step-by-step. My Mint beginner book tells me that to remove a program completely, I should command

apt-get --purge remove hplip3.19.12
(substituting the file name, of course, for the book which says <package name>. I think I did the code box correctly.)
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Not stubborn, but still screen shots for terminal outputs. Is English your first language?

You'll be relieved to know I'm going to leave you alone now. If others are willing to put up with your [stuff], that's their decision.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

pbear wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:17 pm
Not stubborn, but still screen shots for terminal outputs. Is English your first language?

You'll be relieved to know I'm going to leave you alone now. If others are willing to put up with your [stuff], that's their decision.
I don't know what you mean, screen shots for terminal language. How should I post them?
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

majpooper wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:02 pm
I don't mess with VMs but I think I will set up 19.2 Mate in virtualbox (I could use a little hands on with vm anyway) and see what the steps reveal.
As an aside, another option is full install to USB drive. Installs easier, updates easier, works better, and doesn't leave lingering doubts about whether problems are due to the virtual environment. Only thing VBox does easier is A/B comparisons with snapshots. Also, it's handy if you want to answer a question on the forum without having to shutdown and reboot, then shutdown and reboot again. That's less of an issue if you have two computers (I do), as you can boot the test box on the other while staying logged in with your primary one.

Anyhoo, if you're interested, I wrote a tutorial on the how-to. Instructions for both BIOS vs. UEFI. BIOS is easy, UEFI a little tricky (but not bad) because there's a bug in the installer to work around. Main question is whether to use flash drives or a USB hard drive. For demos, there's a lot to be said for flash drives, as it's simpler having one test box per device. I have a little squad of Samsung 64 GB drives I use for that, overwriting them as convenient when the previous demo is finished. If you'd rather have just one thing to keep track of, a USB hard drive works well and will last longer.
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:05 am
brian_p wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:27 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote:

lp error at 2019-12-22 10-02-44.png
Do

lp -d testq /etc/nsswitch.conf
--
Brian.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

I have to post this update. My most recent effort was to follow majorpooper's guidance with the step-by-step commands preceded by a purge of all HP-related files. The command I used for the purge came from a beginner guide book I am using, and resulted in error messages re broken packages, etc.

The tray icon was still showing. The printer printed a page to order. AND- for the first time today, THE SCANNER SCANNED A PAGE in Simple Scan as well as xsane. No idea where all this stands. I think v, 3.19.12 is still installed, since pkg mgr shows no installed files from the repo, which would be 3.17.10.

Is there a way to view a list of installed programs that are not in the repo?

Edit- hp-check tells me that v.3.19.12 is installed.

Return to “Newbie Questions”