Theme change and video driver?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Theme change and video driver?

Post by totally lost »

1st question. How do i fully setup a theme? I am trying to get the spider void theme to look just the same as the photo shown https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... pider-Void but all i get is a few minor changes like just the menu and some changes to the task bar.

2 I was getting a pop up about a video driver not being there. IDK if you can help with this now since i cant get it to pop up anymore but if you have a idea what i might be talking about?

3 Innotek systemberatung Gmbh virtualbox guest service is not working.

I have spent all day trying to find how to make these things work with no luck. Been searching and searching trying things wiping out and reinstalling linux over and over. I am LOST! This is my first time using a virtual box and my first time trying a linux operating system. I never was good at windows either lol But I don't want to learn windows 10 so I am trying out linux before i am forced to convert. Can anyone help me out?

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Theme change and video driver?

Post by smurphos »

So it sounds like you are running Mint Cinnamon in Virtualbox?

First thing - ignore the Driver Manager - it gives false information re drivers when Mint is running in Virtualbox. This has been fixed for the next release of Mint 19.3 which should be announced in a few days.

In your virtual-machine's settings make sure that you are using the VMSVGA video driver, that 3d acceleration is ticked and that you max out the video memory memory.

After installing Mint into the virtual machine apply all updates and then from Virtualbox's devices menu choose Insert Guest Additions CD image. Follow the prompts. Once done reboot. You graphics drivers will all be set up correctly.

With regards to the choice of Theme unfortunately it's author had not deemed to maintain it and it's not fully compatible with Mint 19.x

However in general themes downloaded from spices will include the Desktop theme (panel, menu etc) as minimum. Some may include a Controls theme (windows) - Spider-Void does include this but it will only work properly in Mint 18.3 and below and a Windows Borders theme. Again Spider-Voids Windows Borders theme is Mint 18.3 and below only. Other elements you might see in a screenshot (e.g. Icon theme, Wallpaper and in this theme's case a matching conky config) you'd need to source separately.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

Yea cinnamon. At the time of the post I didn't understand there was more then 1 mint. Now i do after several more days of searching for information how to make this work. I never got a email i had got a reply either so i never seen a reply till now. oppsss. Probably would of saved me from crashing about 11 machines now going off of what i find in searches. :roll: To be honest after not getting a email i figured i was going to get the same treatment as before in other forums. Either no reply or a rude one. But I got one awesome thank you for the help. Now to go find the setting in the forum so it emails me.

Thanks for the driver info i will ignore that.

I do have VMSVGA and 3d checked. For some reason poking around i finally figured out how to get that guest image installed and it worked. But being i did not read your reply yet i tried using info found searching and some guessing i did get full screen to work however i lost one of my buttons on the top right corner. So now you have helped me learn the correct way i shell start over with a fresh install and get it all working this time without the crashing. Thanks to you. In fact I have also tried a few others like mate, zorin-os, and chalet os.

Well it makes sense now why the theme don't work. I went over to mate and had better luck getting themes working just not the spider-void one. Some of why i want a different theme or well change things is to get larger buttons and easier to read things. To much black bugs me. Part of why i hate windows 10 ha. I like colors and i like colors to show one thing such as a button is wildly different then what is behind it. And now a bunch more questions.

How would a person know if a theme is supported or not?

How do i know what is included in a theme? I seen lots of pics of themes even on different distros but when you download them you only get a small part yet the pic shows a full on change.

Also would it be safe to run a older version such as 18.3?

What happens to older versions of linux? Like 18.3. Do they just not get supported i guess i am lost how it works in the linux world. I always thought it was just updates going from say 18.3 to 19.x? Windows they just drop ya like a rock and tell you to buy a new computer haha

Again a big thanks for taking the time to help me. I gotta tell ya I'm scared to ask questions in forums anymore. I never know what response i will get.

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

I don't know what to do. I keep finding things in searches that don't work anymore and crashes it. I tried to setup time shift so it was not as hard to restore after and it failed then crashed. Maybe this is just for the tech savvy guys.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 »

It would help if we had the specs of that machine and how much RAM you're giving to VirtualBox.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

totally lost wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 pm
I don't know what to do. I keep finding things in searches that don't work anymore and crashes it. I tried to setup time shift so it was not as hard to restore after and it failed then crashed. Maybe this is just for the tech savvy guys.
Don't use timeshift in virtualbox - unless you are giving your virtual machines tons of disc space it will cause issues due to lack of disc space for snapshot storage, You can instead use virtualbox's snapshot feature as an equivalent fallback.

Re theme support - the short answer is a bit of trial and error. Theming has a relatively low entry barrier for novice theme developers (I know I'm one of them them) so unfortunately a lot of people put stuff out there with limited information on compatibility over different linux versions, desktop environments or put stuff out there and then never maintain it to keep it working as linux moves on.

18.3 is still technically in support and will be until 2021 - in practise that means that a subset of the package base continues to get security updates, but the majority of the package base for 18.x is frozen in time. I'd recommend sticking with 19.x
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

Larry78723 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:15 pm
It would help if we had the specs of that machine and how much RAM you're giving to VirtualBox.
quad core 4ghz is what the motherboard over clocks it to. 3.8ghz normal. 16gb total ram and virtualbox is getting 8gb of ram. I gave Vbox 2 cores full video memory and checked 3d acceleration. I would assume That is more then enough power.

These was my questions after smorphos helped.

1 How would a person know if a theme is supported or not?

2 How do i know what is included in a theme? I seen lots of pics of themes even on different distros but when you download them you only get a small part yet the pic shows a full on change.

3 Also would it be safe to run a older version such as 18.3?

4 What happens to older versions of linux? Like 18.3. Do they just not get supported i guess i am lost how it works in the linux world. I always thought it was just updates going from say 18.3 to 19.x?

I tried timeshift today again and it crashed again. This time i tried it on 19.3 freshly installed. I didn't save any details figuring i wouldn't find any helpful info anyways as i didn't the last time i searched. I kinda figured whats the point got pissed and shut it off. I can't believe i am having so many issues with this. It is like every single thing i do there is some problem. It took 3 tries to get GNUcash to work. First I tried it with zorinOS then mint mate 19.2 then mint cinnamon 19.3 before it finally worked. Many other random programs from the software manger. I don't get it.

Maybe the best question i can ask, is there any paid places for help so i can ask all the stupid little questions without upsetting anyone? I have so many questions and at least a hundred different tabs open searching for information. It would just be easier to pay for someone to answer questions.

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

Don't use timeshift in virtualbox - unless you are giving your virtual machines tons of disc space it will cause issues due to lack of disc space for snapshot storage, You can instead use virtualbox's snapshot feature as an equivalent fallback.

Re theme support - the short answer is a bit of trial and error. Theming has a relatively low entry barrier for novice theme developers (I know I'm one of them them) so unfortunately a lot of people put stuff out there with limited information on compatibility over different linux versions, desktop environments or put stuff out there and then never maintain it to keep it working as linux moves on.

18.3 is still technically in support and will be until 2021 - in practise that means that a subset of the package base continues to get security updates, but the majority of the package base for 18.x is frozen in time. I'd recommend sticking with 19.x
I gave the machine like 27gb of hard disk. I wanted to try lots of things so i knew what i was doing before fully jumping over to linux. And find out if i can fully jump over. But i will use virtualbox snapshot now on. I didn't know it was there. Never thought it would be.

So themes i should probably just leave alone then? I really wish mint had larger buttons and scroll bars right out of the box. I wouldn't worry so much about getting other themes.

So as linux mint moves on does that mean one day i will get dumped or have to upgrade to a hole new desktop layout and relearn all over again? I don't like things completely changing on me. One of the big reasons i want away from windows so bad. I don't want to learn windows 10 then a few years later have to start over yet again. Changing the controls of anything slows a person down.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

totally lost wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:47 am
So themes i should probably just leave alone then? I really wish mint had larger buttons and scroll bars right out of the box. I wouldn't worry so much about getting other themes.

So as linux mint moves on does that mean one day i will get dumped or have to upgrade to a hole new desktop layout and relearn all over again? I don't like things completely changing on me. One of the big reasons i want away from windows so bad. I don't want to learn windows 10 then a few years later have to start over yet again. Changing the controls of anything slows a person down.
If you are using Cinnamon, in the Themes settings module you can tweak scrollbar width and visibility. For general visibility on high resolution but physically small screens tweaking the text scaling factor in the Font Selection settings module can do wonders. For a bit more choice of titlebar buttons, including some that scale with the font size of the titlebar see viewtopic.php?f=208&t=272414

Evolution of the desktop environments at least for the Mint supported desktops is a relatively slow paced affair. There is change but it is incremental. What does change in the major version bumps e.g. 18.x to 19.x is the underlying package base and supporting libraries. In relation to themes a major change from 18.x to 19.x was from GTK version 3.18 to 3.2x. GTK is the toolkit that draws most of your applications and unfortunately themes made solely for version 3.18 won't work in 3.2x and vice-versa.

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:05 am

If you are using Cinnamon, in the Themes settings module you can tweak scrollbar width and visibility. For general visibility on high resolution but physically small screens tweaking the text scaling factor in the Font Selection settings module can do wonders. For a bit more choice of titlebar buttons, including some that scale with the font size of the titlebar see viewtopic.php?f=208&t=272414

Evolution of the desktop environments at least for the Mint supported desktops is a relatively slow paced affair. There is change but it is incremental. What does change in the major version bumps e.g. 18.x to 19.x is the underlying package base and supporting libraries. In relation to themes a major change from 18.x to 19.x was from GTK version 3.18 to 3.2x. GTK is the toolkit that draws most of your applications and unfortunately themes made solely for version 3.18 won't work in 3.2x and vice-versa.
So I checked out your link and wondered how you know where to find this stuff when i can't. Then I seen it was you who posted it :D Sweet thanks! It worked PERFECT! You know what else went perfect? Snapshot in Vbox. This is awesome! I have finally changed 3 things and did not crash the thing haha I got my scroll bars much larger to.

Dare i ask how to get the buttons top and bottom of the scrollbar?

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

totally lost wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:41 am
Of course you can ask - that's what the forum is for... :wink:

See - viewtopic.php?p=1697673#p1697673

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:17 am
totally lost wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:41 am
Of course you can ask - that's what the forum is for... :wink:

See - viewtopic.php?p=1697673#p1697673
Is there a way to do it without messing with my scrollbar width?

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

Yep just paste this into the file.

Code: Select all

/* Steppers */
* {
    -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 1;
    -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 1;
}

scrollbar button {
    min-width: 1em;
    min-height: 1em;
}

scrollbar.vertical button.down {
    -gtk-icon-source: -gtk-icontheme("pan-down-symbolic");
}

scrollbar.vertical button.up {
    -gtk-icon-source: -gtk-icontheme("pan-up-symbolic");
}

scrollbar.horizontal button.down {
    -gtk-icon-source: -gtk-icontheme("pan-end-symbolic");
}

scrollbar.horizontal button.up {
    -gtk-icon-source: -gtk-icontheme("pan-start-symbolic");
}

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:41 am
Yep just paste this into the file.

Well it works however you can't change your scroll bar width after or it takes the buttons away. I got the buttons again by deleting the code and re-adding the code again.

Thanks again. I think i feel a bit more at home using it now. Only thing i can think or right now making it feel off is the look of the folders and the menu. But I can probably deal with that. It is hard to retrain your brain to look for something different. The more i am getting things looking like what i am use to the quicker i am able to move around. I had no idea a font change would make such a big difference in that as well. But i changed the font a few hours ago and that helped a bunch. At this rate i will become a full time linux user. Finally get out of that dreaded windows haha Well i may have to put a windows in a Vbox. Some things are just not supported in linux yet. :cry:

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

Well bad news. The Buttons are not staying after i shut down mint and shut down my windows host machine. It stays if i only shut down mint in Vbox.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

That seems to be a bit weird - so your settings are kept between reboots of the guest OS in virtual box, but not of the host OS?

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:26 am
That seems to be a bit weird - so your settings are kept between reboots of the guest OS in virtual box, but not of the host OS?
I believe so but It seems as though after going back into terminal the only part missing is this part of the code /* Steppers */ The rest of the code you sent me is still there.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

totally lost wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:20 pm
smurphos wrote:
I believe so but It seems as though after going back into terminal the only part missing is this part of the code /* Steppers */ The rest of the code you sent me is still there.
Ah yes - that's OK - that line is a comment so not essential. It's a minor bug in the tool that the settings GUI uses to modify this file for setting the scrollbar width which results in comments being stripped out of the file. The bug was actually fixed in the most recent Cinnamon update released yesterday.

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:23 am
totally lost wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:20 pm
smurphos wrote:
Ah yes - that's OK - that line is a comment so not essential. It's a minor bug in the tool that the settings GUI uses to modify this file for setting the scrollbar width which results in comments being stripped out of the file. The bug was actually fixed in the most recent Cinnamon update released yesterday.
Ohh no are the bugs going to chew on my wires???

Haha hope that made ya smile. All is good now. I went in and changed the scroll bar width and everything stayed this time. Also restarted everything and it all stayed. Thanks. Much appreciated!

I gained another question to. I have been digging around trying to find a way to change the color of that bar at the top of every window without changing my buttons. Is there a such thing?

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

totally lost wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:32 pm
I gained another question to. I have been digging around trying to find a way to change the color of that bar at the top of every window without changing my buttons. Is there a such thing?
So you would need to modify the metacity theme for Mint-Y or Mint-Y-Dark to replace the hard-coded color? Which one are you using?

Return to “Newbie Questions”