Theme change and video driver?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Theme change and video driver?

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:12 am
totally lost wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:32 pm
I gained another question to. I have been digging around trying to find a way to change the color of that bar at the top of every window without changing my buttons. Is there a such thing?
So you would need to modify the metacity theme for Mint-Y or Mint-Y-Dark to replace the hard-coded color? Which one are you using?
I ended up going to add/remove under themes and finding this one. https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... Windows-10 It had even larger buttons. But it is all white. It gets confusing with a bunch of white.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

So the file you would need to edit is ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml

The colour definitions are in the first part of the file. The ones you are looking to change are the C_wm_bg_focused and C_wm_bg_unfocused which are both set to pure white (#FFFFFF) out of the box.

If you are not familiar with hex or rgba color codes this will probably help - https://htmlcolorcodes.com/

Code: Select all

<!-- meaningfull constants -->

<constant name="C_title_focused" value="#000000" />
<constant name="C_title_unfocused" value="#cfcfcf" />

<constant name="C_wm_bg_focused" value="#ffffff" />
<constant name="C_wm_bg_unfocused" value="#ffffff" />
<constant name="C_wm_border" value="#cbccd0" />
<constant name="C_wm_border_unfocused" value="#cfcfcf" />
<constant name="C_wm_highlight" value="rgba(0,0,0,0)" />
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:28 am
So the file you would need to edit is ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml

The colour definitions are in the first part of the file. The ones you are looking to change are the C_wm_bg_focused and C_wm_bg_unfocused which are both set to pure white (#FFFFFF) out of the box.

If you are not familiar with hex or rgba color codes this will probably help - https://htmlcolorcodes.com/

<constant name="C_wm_bg_focused" value="#ffffff" />

I must be doing something wrong. I am getting this.

mint@mint-VirtualBox:~$ ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
bash: /home/mint/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml: Permission denied
mint@mint-VirtualBox:~$ sudo ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
[sudo] password for mint:
sudo: /home/mint/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml: command not found

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

totally lost wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:40 am
smurphos wrote:

bash: /home/mint/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml: Permission denied
mint@mint-VirtualBox:~$ sudo ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
sudo: /home/mint/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml: command not found
"So the file you would need to edit..." implies use of an editor.

xed ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml

Or

nano ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:31 am
totally lost wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:40 am
smurphos wrote:

"So the file you would need to edit..." implies use of an editor.

xed ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml

Or

nano ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
Ohh i get it now. He was trying to teach me to know some of this on my own. Ok so i got into the editor changed the value to a blue from that other link given and saved but it reverted me to one of the defaults borders. If i click it back to the one i had it stays the same default but says it is windows 10.. I'm going to play with this awhile and see if i can figure it out. Now that i have snap shots what ever i mess up i can undo. If i fail i may have to come back and ask. I want to give it a shot myself thou. Them snapshots makes this much less frustrating trying things on my own. Thanks for the help.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

totally lost wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:02 pm
If i click it back to the one i had it stays the same default but says it is windows 10.. I'm going to play with this awhile and see if i can figure it out.
That sounds like your edit's are breaking the syntax of the xml so it's failing to load.

Example of what the file would look like with the background for a focussed window changed to a shade of blue

<constant name="C_wm_bg_focused" value="#8095FF" />

<!-- window button colors -->

<!-- close -->
<constant name="C_button_close_bg_focused" value="#8095FF" />
<constant name="C_button_close_bg_unfocused" value="#ffffff" />
<constant name="C_button_close_bg_hover" value="#ff5252" />
<constant name="C_button_close_bg_active" value="#ff0000" />

<constant name="C_icon_close_bg_focused" value="#000000" />
<constant name="C_icon_close_bg_unfocused" value="#cfcfcf" />
<constant name="C_icon_close_bg_hover" value="#ffffff" />
<constant name="C_icon_close_bg_active" value="#ffffff" />

<!-- minimize, maximize, etc. -->
<constant name="C_button_bg_focused" value="#8095FF" />
<constant name="C_button_bg_unfocused" value="#ffffff" />
<constant name="C_button_bg_hover" value="#dcdcdc" />
<constant name="C_button_bg_active" value="#bfbfbf" />

<constant name="C_icon_bg_focused" value="#000000" />
<constant name="C_icon_bg_unfocused" value="#cfcfcf" />
<constant name="C_icon_bg_hover" value="#000000" />
<constant name="C_icon_bg_active" value="#000000" />

Another tact would be to use your GTK theme's exported colours.

e.g.

<constant name="C_title_focused" value="gtk:custom(theme_selected_fg_color,#000000)" />

<constant name="C_wm_bg_focused" value="gtk:custom(theme_selected_bg_color,#ffffff)" />

<!-- close -->
<constant name="C_button_close_bg_focused" value="gtk:custom(theme_selected_bg_color,#ffffff)" />
<constant name="C_button_close_bg_unfocused" value="#ffffff" />

<constant name="C_button_bg_focused" value="gtk:custom(theme_selected_bg_color,#ffffff)" />
<constant name="C_button_bg_unfocused" value="#ffffff" />

<constant name="C_icon_bg_focused" value="gtk:custom(theme_selected_fg_color,#000000)" />
This way the theme will adapt to changes in your GTK (Controls theme)... e.g

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

Could it possibly be the color i picked the problem? I played a bit and had no luck came back here seen the reply so put my code in of #3336ff in the same places as your examples but still does the same thing.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

Nope - that is a valid color. What application are using as an editor?

You might find these ready made borders interesting - they were made by a forum member - https://www.pling.com/s/Cinnamon/p/1319251/

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:19 am
Nope - that is a valid color. What application are using as an editor?

You might find these ready made borders interesting - they were made by a forum member - https://www.pling.com/s/Cinnamon/p/1319251/
I put in xed ~/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml Then in the new window that pops up changed the color code as you showed. Maybe I have messed up something else i don't even know with all my playing around changing things long before? Maybe it is best to just take the easy ones you had posted. Funny is i had looked at them before but didn't really like the buttons.

This brings me to a question tho. Is pling.com a safe place to be downloading from? I am sure the one you sent me is safe but what about all the rest of the downloads? They have many things I like on there. Infact i got windows 7 menu button from there and tried many other things from there on a different VM.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

You should exercise due diligence downloading anything from external sources. For Pling.com anything that involves just extracting plain text files to your home I personally would not be overly concerned about. I'd be a bit more wary of anything distributed as a deb installer or which has an installation script that needs sudo or asks for your password to elevate privileges.

Re the windows theme - maybe start again with a fresh copy?

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 am
You should exercise due diligence downloading anything from external sources. For Pling.com anything that involves just extracting plain text files to your home I personally would not be overly concerned about. I'd be a bit more wary of anything distributed as a deb installer or which has an installation script that needs sudo or asks for your password to elevate privileges.

Re the windows theme - maybe start again with a fresh copy?
I think you are right i should start with a fresh copy. Would it be asking to much to ask for a walk through? I like some of the things i did outside of this thread maybe i could take screen shots and just get a step by step so i don't mess it up? I feel like i have wasted a bunch of your time trying to do things on my own because here we are starting from scratch again. If not i understand. I would be willing to pay for some help if need be. I mean i had to pay Microsoft just to use there operating system and get no help plus they spy on you, virus problems like crazy. It is like walking on egg shells using it. Only thing there is you can find nearly everything i wanted with a google search. I find myself having a much harder time finding info on linux mint with just a google search. So with that said linux is free and paying for help is more then worth it! Better yet i would be willing to just pay for it pre setup as i want where i just download install and go. All of that is probably out of the question as it seems all of you linux programmers are not money driven. Either way let me know what you feel on just walking me threw. I can make it pretty easy by just stating i like the colors of windows 7 aero. Blue has always been a color I like looking at. Large buttons with the red close button. A red close button always reminded me of machines ( no not computers) with red buttons that normally stopped things or closed things. You look at a piece of heavy equipment there is always a red button or switch that shuts it down. I don't really want it to be windows 7 it is not but windows 7 just happen to have many things i liked or was use to long before i got on a computer. I don't like black. Well except tires. Tires can be black. haha

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

Remove your current download of the Windows theme and redownload via the Themes settings module.

Open the relevant file with the text editor with this terminal command

xed ~/.themes//home/steve/.themes/Windows-10/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
Replace the first section of the file with this via copy and paste

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<metacity_theme>
<info>
	<name>Arc</name>
	<author>horst3180</author>
	<copyright>horst3180</copyright>
	<date>2015</date>
	<description>Arc Metacity theme</description>
</info>

<constant name="C_wm_bg_focused" value="#3D9BE3" />
<constant name="C_wm_bg_unfocused" value="#0065B3" />
<constant name="C_wm_border" value="#3D9BE3" />
<constant name="C_wm_border_unfocused" value="#0065B3" />

<!-- close -->
<constant name="C_button_close_bg_focused" value="#3D9BE3" />
<constant name="C_button_close_bg_unfocused" value="#0065B3" />

<constant name="C_button_bg_focused" value="#3D9BE3" />
<constant name="C_button_bg_unfocused" value="#0065B3" />

<constant name="C_icon_bg_focused" value="#000000" />

<!-- geometries -->
Save the file. In the themes settings module switch the windows borders ot Mint-Y to whatever than back to Windows-10.

This one has got a Windows 7ish blue for focused windows and a darker shade for unfocused

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

I hope yours not upset but i found a way to get this yesterday. What is odd is i put the folder under themes but nothing happen. Once i removed all the files in one from the mint Y folder as shown then paste in the files then it works? Odd but it works.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-01-10 18-29-18.png

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

totally lost wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:32 pm
I hope yours not upset but i found a way to get this yesterday.
Not at all. If you worked out a way for yourself that's the best result. :)

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

smurphos wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:46 am
totally lost wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:32 pm
I hope yours not upset but i found a way to get this yesterday.
Not at all. If you worked out a way for yourself that's the best result. :)
Yea it was a guess if it would work. I had that file on there for a long time but didn't know how to make it work. I don't understand why it being under themes it would not work by removing the fires from one of the original mint themes matacity and replacing with them made it show up? I tried renaming the folder to windows 7 rather then mint but that took it all away. When i had been playing with MATE it worked so much easier to just drop the folder in themes but not in cinnamon. Theres a bunch of other things that came with that windows 7 folder but i have no idea how to make them work. I think i better leave them along to haha

But I am liking things now. More of what i am use to so i don't feel so lost and can get things done. Yea i don't like change to much. I plan to eventually use mint as my only operating system. I don't want nothing to do with windows 10. Even as cinnamon was before any changes felt better then windows 10!

Again thanks for all of your help. If you want to answer why i had to do the files the way i did to get it to work that be cool. I am happy i got it to work. I may play with some icon themes at some point when i get more time again. When this started i was off work for some medical stuff so that gave more time. last week or so its back to work so less time to play. Thanks my friend. Really appreciated!

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

Well Hate to say it but that was short lived. It wouldn't show a thumbnail or anything in the themes - window boarders. My mouse started failing and clicked on it changing to a different one and i couldn't get it back at first. Finally ended up going back to the files under .themes went into the metacity i had modified renamed the text file in there from metacity-theme-1.xml to metacity-3.xml. That got me a blank thumbnail i could click on again and it worked for awhile. I tried it on a few other metacity i had downloaded to and it worked for them. I could click on any one i wanted and get it. Well after a few hours passed someone asked me about it so i tried to show them and i lost all but the basic boarders and the added ones you gave me from earlier in this post. At least the ones i had not altered. But now i can't get it back for nothing without reverting back to a older snapshot right after i did it. And then the same issue repeats. So i started a new VM from scratch again and tried my original trick. It only works if you never change the window boarders again. As soon as you do you are done and have to go back to a older snapshot i created. So I would say the way i did it has to be wrong and not able to be relied on. I can't find a way to make it work. Maybe if i understood how anything outside of a GUI works haha

A side note in the middle of trying to make the above work i figured out how to make the metabox boarder turn a nice blue and get the buttons larger at the same time. It is nearly what we had tried to do with that windows 10 boarder that we couldn't get to work.

Probably smarter to see if anyone could just make what i want and i just install it. I don't expect my customers to do there own work they bring to me. they take there stuff to a professional because i know what i am doing. So why am i trying to do someone else's profession on a computer right? I could of made quit a bit of money doing what i know all this time rather then trying to get this myself and paid someone to do this for me. Any takers?

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

Ok so no help that way how about how to build my own metacity? Or modify the one i found and like but does not work on 19.3?

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

Post a link to the one you found and like...

totally lost
Level 2
Level 2

Post by totally lost »

I cant find the link again where i got it but i still have the folder.
Attachments
win7.zip
(38.64 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

OK - That one is a in the legacy metacity-theme-1.xml format which isn't support by current Cinnamon versions Cinnamon - you need Window borders themes that include a metacity-theme-3.xml

You could give this Win 7 one a try -
https://github.com/B00merang-Project/Wi ... master.zip

Return to “Newbie Questions”