Black Screen After Attempting to Install Graphics Drivers for AMD A10 7800 APU

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
64Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Black Screen After Attempting to Install Graphics Drivers for AMD A10 7800 APU

Post by 64Tech »

I dug myself into a deep hole, and I need help getting out.
As a bit of background: Linux has been running a bit crappy in the graphics department on my system (weird glitching happening after small system stresses), and thinking I might have needed some drivers, I decided to try and install some.
The problem is, after rebooting my system, the GUI is gone, with only a blinking cursor in it's place. I've searched around, but I can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I'd hate to know I have to re-install Mint, but I'm not sure if I can get the original default drivers back (or whatever I need to do).

So again, my CPU is an AMD A10 7800 with Radeon R7 integrated graphics.

For a reference point of what I do or don't need to be explained how to do, my searching around has successfully taught me how to:
-Access GRUB
-CTRL+ALT+F1 to enter CUI mode (from the blinking cursor screen)
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Black Screen After Attempting to Install Graphics Drivers for AMD A10 7800 APU

Post by HAWR »

Hello 64Tech,

if you have a timeshift snapshot from before installing that driver, you can restore it within the live system by booting with your installation medium.
64Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Black Screen After Attempting to Install Graphics Drivers for AMD A10 7800 APU

Post by 64Tech »

HAWR wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:42 pm
timeshift snapshot
As far as I know, I don't have one (unless it's actually built-in). Saw info about it in another thread and said to myself "once I solve this problem, I'm definitely getting timeshift to save myself hassle in the future".

Reason I didn't have it already is because I've almost never needed a system restore function on any computers I've used. The very few times I have (which were all on Windows machines), it was due to Windows being dumb with a singular, repeated issue.
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello 64Tech,

in your case I wouldn't wait too long and just install LM new. And after the first system update the next thing you do is a timeshift snapshot. Then you can try and test around.

The problem with the installed driver is, you have to know, how to remove it by terminal commands (CUI). Maybe you find a hint on the website, where you have downloaded the driver (probably AMD).
squiggles3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squiggles3 »

Don't forget the Arch Wiki can be very helpful for this. I have followed their directions with a lot of success in the past when it comes to graphics drivers.

Return to “Newbie Questions”