Problem installing LAN Canon MF212 scanner

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Problem installing LAN Canon MF212 scanner

Post by GS3 »

My wife has a Canon MF212 printer & scanner connected on their LAN so the entire family can print and scan. She has been using it with the Windows laptop but now wants to use it with the Linux machine. I checked and the printer driver is already installed and working. It seems my memory fails me because I do not remember setting it up but it prints. So far so good.

The question comes with the scanner part and here I run into several questions. I have been googling and it seems there are several aspects that need to be covered. First is what program to use and there are several but it seems I could use GIMP which is already installed. We can get started with that and later move to something else if we want.

The main issue is whether I need a new driver or if the driver already installed covers the scanner part as well as the printer. I have no idea how I would even check for this.

So, I am seeking advice on how to install the necessary driver, check that it is correctly installed and configure the whole thing so it will communicate via LAN with the scanner and scan from The GIMP. I do not know where to even get started. Thanks.

E.T.A.: At this point with GIMP I can get to the point File - Create - Xsane - Device Dialog and it says Scanning for devices but it cannot find any devices. I know the IP address o the device but I just cannot get the computer and the device to connect somehow.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Problem installing LAN Canon MF212 scanner

Post by GS3 »

I am still working on this issue with no luck. I see other threads where Epson scanners have had problems and have been resolved. I am hoping I can get this scanner to work with Linux over the network.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello GS3,

I don't know exactly, whether this is your model:

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/co ... anguage=en

For Simple Scan and Xsane it could be helpful to add the sane-ppa to get more recent sane versions:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
The sane-ppa is suggested among others on Ubuntu help for sane-troubleshooting:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/sane_Troubleshooting

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

HAWR wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am
For Simple Scan and Xsane it could be helpful to add the sane-ppa to get more recent sane versions:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
The sane-ppa is suggested among others on Ubuntu help for sane-troubleshooting:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/sane_Troubleshooting
Thanks. I tried those commands and the third one took a while and generated like 750 lines of messages with lots of errors and informative lines. I hope everything is OK and it didn't do any damage.

Other than that, I still get the same "scanning for devices" and then "no devices found".

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello GS3,

I've searched the internet a bit, but I'm sorry, I haven't found any scanner drivers & how-to's for your device. The only thing is the printer driver. But you could have a look at the manual if it is possible to scan directly with your device and send the file to the computer?

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

OK, I have made some progress in that I have identified the cause of the problem but not a solution to it. I should have thought of this earlier but it just did not occur to me.

The main home LAN is 192.168.1.XXX and the printer/scanner is connected to that and has an IP address in that range.

Several computers, including the Linux machine, are connected to a separate LAN in the range 192.168.2.XXX with a router that has its WAN going out to the 192.168.1.1 LAN.

I guess the printer works because I configured or supplied the IP address of the printer (I don't remember) so the Linux computer can find the printer because it know the IP address and there is no problem routing there. But there is no way to supply SANE with the scanner's IP address because it just insists on searching the LAN by itself and the scanner is not on the same subnet.

If I connect the Linux machine to the same 192.168.1.XXX subnet then it does find the scanner.

So, the problem is not resolved because I cannot provide the IP address manually but at least I know the origin of the problem.

Now, with this information, I need to do some thinking as to how to best deal with the situation.

The Windows computer has no problem scanning from the same LAN the Linux computer is on. It may be that it is easiest to only use Windows for scanning and then transfer to the Linux machine. I need to think about this.

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

I thought I would contact the developers of SANE and suggest the possibility of manually supplying the IP address of the scanner instead of only allowing SANE to search the LAN but I cannot find a contact form or email address at http://www.sane-project.org/

Maybe someone with better ability can contact them and call their attention to this post and thread.

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

For canon scanners you have to d/l and install scangearmp2 from canon website

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

kato181 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:49 am
For canon scanners you have to d/l and install scangearmp2 from canon website
For what purpose? What does it do? If it just scans the subnetwork looking for devices it is not going to work because the device is on another subnetwork. That is the same XSANE does. XSANE already scans and finds the scanner when they are on the same subnetwork. I need to tell XSANE the IP address because it is on a different subnetwork.

Maybe there would be a way to have a virtual IP address in the computer's subnetwork which would be forwarded to the scanner's subnetwork. In other words, XSANE needs to see the scanner at 192.168.2.145 but scanner is really at 192.168.1.131 so the computer would re-direct any traffic for 192.168.2.145 to 192.168.1.131. I don't know how difficult this would be.

Swissybear1957
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Swissybear1957 »

i use a pixma 5750 via wifi.

to scan in the lan, use sane.

IMPORTANT: open ports 8610 and 8612 for UDP on the firewall

Return to “Newbie Questions”