Transfer notes from Tomboy to Gnote

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squiggles3
Level 2
Level 2

Transfer notes from Tomboy to Gnote

Post by squiggles3 »

I have a lot of notes taken with Tomboy over the years and I actually preferred it to Gnote because of the HTML export feature. Since Mint 19.3 is not including Tomboy anymore I thought I should transfer my notes over. Looking around Gnote I found the "Tomboy Importer" plugin. There is no intuitive method that I found to actually use the plugin. I found the wiki page for Gnote and the Gnome wiki page and neither of them mention how to use the plugins. I enable the plugin and... what else am I supposed to do?

Now for someone who's been using Linux for a long time I simply pulled up the terminal and copied all the files from

Code: Select all

~/.local/share/tomboy

into the

Code: Select all

~/.local/share/gnote 

folder and it all works just fine. No problems at all. (Just remember that you have to have run the Gnote application at least once for there to actually be a gnote folder there.)

For the Newbie however this may not be an obvious solution. On top of all that I would just like to know how the Gnote plugins can be used, some of them seem pretty useful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”