tried to install elementary, but i got linux mint instead?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
preppystud
Level 1
Level 1

tried to install elementary, but i got linux mint instead?

Post by preppystud »

i tried to install linux mint on my old gateway laptop with a dvd. the installation was stopped due to dvd error, but I was able to use the same dvd to install linux mint on other computers.

so i got an Elementary os dvd, and tried to install it on the same laptop. however, after it shows the big white E sign on the screen, i got the linux mint system. (right now i cant install mint on the laptop.)

now my question is how come i am using the elementary os dvd, but it ended with the linux mint system?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: tried to install elementary, but i got linux mint instead?

Post by Neil Edmond »

Just a guess here, but maybe the first install of Mint completed except for installing GRUB, and somehow the Elementary DVD chainloaded the already installed Mint. (?) If that's even possible.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: tried to install elementary, but i got linux mint instead?

Post by JoeBingo »

I'm actually impressed. Don't think I could have done that in a million years if I tried. But if it did happen, think I'd start over with fresh installation media of one operating system or the other and make sure during the installation that the option for "Erase Disk" is selected.

Return to “Newbie Questions”