New here will dive in

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Stob
Level 2
Level 2

New here will dive in

Post by Stob »

Hello, about 8 years ago I installed Ubuntu on a laptop and although it took some getting used to, I still have. It's an old machine and very slow, so I plan to buy new.

I am looking into buying a laptop that has Win 10 on it, then delete it during the install. I just read the thread about the "Lenovo 14w with a amd a6 CPU with 4g of ram and a small 64g mmc drive." Glad I read it and I will not buy one of those, or any other with that drive.

Can I assume a SSD or HDD drive is OK? The other question is, the new laptop with "Chromebook", can one of these be used and will the preinstalled OS be wiped clean?

I like the looks of Mint, I'm going this route this time. When I get the new machine, I'll be back! Thanks

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Re: New here will dive in

Post by kc1di »

Hello Stob,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums.
You are correct most SSD's and HDD's work fine. May I suggest that you look for a good refurbished Lenovo thinkpad I have the T-450 It's not cutting edge but it sure works well with Mint. Places like Newegg sell them at very reasonable prices. https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=refurbish ... o+thinkpad
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Stob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stob »

kc1di wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:35 pm
Hello Stob,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums.
You are correct most SSD's and HDD's work fine. May I suggest that you look for a good refurbished Lenovo thinkpad I have the T-450 It's not cutting edge but it sure works well with Mint. Places like Newegg sell them at very reasonable prices. https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=refurbish ... o+thinkpad
Thanks for the reply! Another fellow on a completely different forum suggested I find a T-430. Must be good machines. I will take a look at Newegg.

Before I read that Mint will wipe out preinstalled programs, I was looking at Newegg considering buying a new hardrive and just trashing the one that came with it.

CapraFan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CapraFan »

I suggest you not consider a Chromebook. While there are a couple of ways of getting Linux onto a Chromebook, they're more work and more finicky than installing to a mainstream Windows machine.

DisturbedDragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Read the Lenovo 14w thread through. The issue was the 4.15 kernel in the 19.2 ISO. This was resolved by the 19.3 ISO which has the 5.0 kernel. I installed 19.3 on my 14w and it works flawlessly.
AMD Ryzen 3700x
MSI x470 Gaming Pro
1TB Crucial P1 NVMe
1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe
32GB DDR4 3200
Nvidia RTX2080 OC
-------------------------------------
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kernel 5.3.0-40

Stob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stob »

CapraFan wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:16 pm
I suggest you not consider a Chromebook. While there are a couple of ways of getting Linux onto a Chromebook, they're more work and more finicky than installing to a mainstream Windows machine.
It was a thought, but my gut tells me to always steer clear of anything google. Will do.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Stob wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:20 am
CapraFan wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:16 pm
It was a thought, but my gut tells me to always steer clear of anything google. Will do.
Well, some people do manage to fully de-Chromify a Chromebook, but many of them have ARM processors and Mint doesn't run on those.

Most people have great results with Thinkpads. My daily driver is a X201, which some people consider to be old; it runs Cinnamon like a champ and does everything I need it to do. Getting a refurbished Thinkpad is by many people considered to be the most bang you can get for your buck.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”