Slow copy from SSD to USB 3.0 flash drive SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
frostymusic
Level 3
Level 3

Slow copy from SSD to USB 3.0 flash drive SOLVED

Post by frostymusic »

Hi all, I copied a file from an external usb 3.0 device to my internal SSD. Speeds were around 105.xx mb sec.. Copied the same file from SSD to USB 3.0 flash drive and speeds dropped to 26 mb sec while copying. Using Caja as file manager, tried Double Commander which seemed to have better speeds than Caja.
Any thoughts?
Last edited by frostymusic on Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Slow copy from SSD to USB 3.0 flash drive

Post by LanceM »

Read speeds are higher than write speeds on most USB drives, so reading (copying) from USB and pasting (writing) to SSD is faster than the reverse. Even HDD have faster reads than writes. Most drives have specs you can look up.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

frostymusic wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:40 pm
Any thoughts?
Buy better flash drives.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

AntiDictator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AntiDictator »

I have same issue with my flash drive "Silicon Power Blaze B50" with USB 3.0.
Its have high read/write speeds in Windows but in Linux only reads is fast and writing is so slow (10MB/s)
Also my mouse cursor is slow moving at writing medium files (like 2-3 GB)
I don't know why this happens but I guess when I use Linux for free I shoud expect these small problems :)

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

AntiDictator wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:16 pm
I have same issue with my flash drive "Silicon Power Blaze B50" with USB 3.0.
Its have high read/write speeds in Windows but in Linux only reads is fast and writing is so slow (10MB/s)
Also my mouse cursor is slow moving at writing medium files (like 2-3 GB)
I don't know why this happens but I guess when I use Linux for free I shoud expect these small problems :)
My experience overall - Mint is faster Than Windows in real world tests (not synthetic) so the "free" idea is not true. That said, I've seen certain brands of USB drive that behave badly on Linux, but are okay in Windows. Devices are manufactured catering to Windows OS.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

frostymusic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frostymusic »

So, better flash drives? Verbatim, Kingston, Sony, Sandisk, ones make by the makers of memory chips? Crucial?

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

frostymusic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frostymusic »

Those flash drives are twice as much here in Canada, I went looking and found a Patriot 32gb, going to give it a spin and see, I will post what I get for speeds.

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

Do you do eBay?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... _PrefLoc=3
Not to cause a stir, but I've had poor luck on Linux with Patriot.
*One needs to exercise caution buying on eBay, I got a fake drive twice. Indistinguishable except pitiful performance. Called Kingston an SN wasn't in their database. Ooopsy..

gittiest personITW
Level 6
Level 6

Post by gittiest personITW »

Using 19.3 Cinnamon and not had any problems with USB3 - Sandisk, Patriot, OCZ or Kingston so far.

Touch wood, fingers and toes crossed, sprinkling holy water over the cpu.
But yes, have had problems in general with Ebay and USB drives on the odd occassion - some not quite at advertised or anywhere near advertised speed/capacity or brand when delving into the hardware.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have not had any problem with flash drives of any size except 1 -8GB Entec that I read and wrote too for about 2 years when suddenly it could not be written too. I had about 4 GB of data files stored on it and I could not write, or erase anything. Fortunately I was able to copy everythong off of it onto an archive drive that is read and write and another flash drive. Nothing special except copy and paste. :mrgreen:

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

Samsung, Sandisk, Toshiba make their own controller chips for USB flash. The other brands buy controller chips. Brand A, model XY225, might use one controller chip for the first batch then a cheaper controller chip for the next batch. The same happens with the flash memory. You need to know the exact details of the chips inside or spend the extra money for a brand someone has already tested.

Reads do just that. A write includes a read, an erase cycle, then the write cycle, with the erase cycle running for far longer than a read or write. Good controller chips erase spare blocks ahead of time but they can only do that if the operating system sends a TRIM command to tell the USB storage what is ready for erase. Windows sends TRIM frequently. Linux sends TRIM once per week. If you want faster writes, run the TRIM command manually after mounting the USB storage.

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

Petermint wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:24 pm
Samsung, Sandisk, Toshiba make their own controller chips for USB flash. The other brands buy controller chips. Brand A, model XY225, might use one controller chip for the first batch then a cheaper controller chip for the next batch. The same happens with the flash memory. You need to know the exact details of the chips inside or spend the extra money for a brand someone has already tested.

Reads do just that. A write includes a read, an erase cycle, then the write cycle, with the erase cycle running for far longer than a read or write. Good controller chips erase spare blocks ahead of time but they can only do that if the operating system sends a TRIM command to tell the USB storage what is ready for erase. Windows sends TRIM frequently. Linux sends TRIM once per week. If you want faster writes, run the TRIM command manually after mounting the USB storage.
I don't have any USB drives that support TRIM either Linux or Windows -Samsung makes one portable drive supporting it in Windows - not Linux. Running

Code: Select all

sudo hdparm -I /dev/sdx | grep TRIM
shows TRIM compatibility (where x is the drive.)

SSDs support Trim. Flash drives I've never seen or heard of one that does. Do you know of a specific brand?

Grateful4Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Grateful4Linux »

blueocean wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:37 pm
SSDs support Trim. Flash drives I've never seen or heard of one that does. Do you know of a specific brand?
It looks like the Corsair Flash Voyager supports Trim, see this video around the 6 minute mark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zr-rQ51Vbg

It is pricey, but has a five year warranty and good reviews - https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Flash-Vo ... 300&sr=1-1

Corsair mentions that it works with all OSs including Linux. I hope that means that the TRIM and other features work in Linux too. (I am unfamiliar with how all of that works.)

I have been having a problem with a Kingston 128gb USB flash drive which Linux doesn't see any longer. Win7 can see it but can't write to it. After reading another thread here, I think got messed up by removing the Kingston drive after Linux Mint said it was safe to remove, but it really wasn't. (I often got errors after removing, even if I waited a second or two.) I have an HP usb drive which has never had a problem like that on LM, and I'm not sure what the difference is between the two flash drives. (Maybe a cache on the Kingston drive that makes it look like it's finished writing when it really isn't?) This issue is mentioned in this post and thread -- viewtopic.php?p=1674365#p1674365

I have spent so much time looking at flash drives and portable SSDs. I also have an old WD Passport portable HDD which now has tons of errors, I think because I removed it too soon after the Safe to Remove message.

That Corsair is tempting - the 128gb is $50.99 at Amazon, which is not much more that some lower quality flash drives. I just want something I can count on. Double the size of the Corsair for only $21 more... so I would probably just get that one... but then I start talking myself out of it because I could get a portable SSD like the Samsung T5 or Sandisk Extreme with double the size again for not that much additional money.

Edited because I finally noticed I've been copying a post's Quote-link rather than the actual link to the individual Post I'm trying to link - so I fixed it above.
Last edited by Grateful4Linux on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

t looks like the Corsair Flash Voyager supports Trim,
It's essentially an SSD. I seriously doubt it will support TRIM on Linux. Call their support and ask. For flash drives it's best to use the Eject option. That way it unmounts and yet is still powered on and can finish any activity. The safely remove is pretty reliable for portable drives unless being used as root. In that case, I use

sudo -i
and then

eject /dev/sdx
where x is the drive designation.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

I often got errors after removing, even if I waited a second or two.
Linux default settings are for a server with fixed disks and a backed up power supply. Writes are deferred for up to a minute. There is a setting somewhere that should be changed to 1 second. The safe-to-remove message should not occur until Linux flushes all writes. You can fix the resultant file system mess by formatting the drive.

Grateful4Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Grateful4Linux »

blueocean wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:31 pm
t looks like the Corsair Flash Voyager supports Trim,
It's essentially an SSD. I seriously doubt it will support TRIM on Linux. Call their support and ask. For flash drives it's best to use the Eject option. That way it unmounts and yet is still powered on and can finish any activity. The safely remove is pretty reliable for portable drives unless being used as root...
Sometimes right-clicking my drive shows Eject, sometimes Safely Remove, and sometimes both. I have always chosen one of those (or Unmount in Disks) and waited until the desktop and taskbar drive icons disappear and until after I see the Safe to Remove notification. I still often got warnings after pulling out the drive and they are messed up.
Petermint wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:56 pm
Linux default settings are for a server with fixed disks and a backed up power supply. Writes are deferred for up to a minute. There is a setting somewhere that should be changed to 1 second. The safe-to-remove message should not occur until Linux flushes all writes. You can fix the resultant file system mess by formatting the drive.
Wow, that is great to know and I think must be the cause of my storage drive issues. Thanks so much for posting that info.

Does anyone know what and where the setting is? Is it something that is changed with a terminal command?

frostymusic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frostymusic »

As promised I picked up a Patriot Flash Drive Supersonic BOOST USB 3.1 Gen 1 with Reads up to 150.mb/s. Using it Caja I got same results, big burst of speed, then a slow till finally it hit 29 mb/s and there it stayed, or near by. Tried it in Double Commander and Thunar with a bit more speed.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

frostymusic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frostymusic »

enabled write cache on SSD, however, could not do so for flash drive.

Return to “Newbie Questions”