[SOLVED] Switched to MATE from Cinnamon...now have display issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Qwazert
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Switched to MATE from Cinnamon...now have display issues

Post by Qwazert »

As it says in the title...I switched over from Cinnamon DE to MATE and now I am having issues with the display/videos/games.
I have the latest nVidia driver and it was working fine in Cinnamon. Now, if I'm watching Youtube videos or playing a game, there are horizontal bars across the display during play or during playback.
Is this something "fixable" or do I have to revert to Cinnamon?
Last edited by Qwazert on Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Switched to MATE from Cinnamon...now have display issues

Post by kukamuumuka »

Disable desktop effects.
Qwazert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Qwazert »

I don't see where there is that option in MATE...I've tried fine-tuning the display properties but that didn't help.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

MATE doesn't have desktop effects. Also I'm assuming you're talking about screen tearing? Common solutions are to either tweak your display driver to handle it, or to switch to a compositor like Compton or Compiz in desktop settings to do it for you (they'll have to be configured for it). See e.g. https://www.cmscritic.com/how-to-fix-nv ... nd-others/ for how to tweak your driver.
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by guythp »

I had a similar issue with tearing and looked into ho to resolve it. There is a way to sync the display in MATE using terminal commands (although i still don't really know what i'm doing in the terminal), but one solution I found worked for me was to go to Prefences>Desktop Settings>Window Manager and select Marco + Compton.
Now although this sorted the tearing issue for me it may not work for everyone and I've noticed the desktop takes a little while longer to load up on boot up but it's something I'm happy with as a trade-off.
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

guythp wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:44 pm
but one solution I found worked for me was to go to Prefences>Desktop Settings>Window Manager and select Marco + Compton.
+1
settings.png
Qwazert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Qwazert »

gm10 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:40 am
MATE doesn't have desktop effects. Also I'm assuming you're talking about screen tearing? Common solutions are to either tweak your display driver to handle it, or to switch to a compositor like Compton or Compiz in desktop settings to do it for you (they'll have to be configured for it). See e.g. https://www.cmscritic.com/how-to-fix-nv ... nd-others/ for how to tweak your driver.
Tried that....when I went to reboot, it now asks for Login and Password something it NEVER did before.
When I boot from Live CD, it looks as though my X11 directory is gone...great!

How do I fix this...or should I just re-install (for the 5th time)?
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Qwazert wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:52 pm
Tried that....when I went to reboot, it now asks for Login and Password something it NEVER did before.
When I boot from Live CD, it looks as though my X11 directory is gone...great!

How do I fix this...or should I just re-install (for the 5th time)?
It's unlikely to be gone, more likely you are looking at the live environment's files instead of those of your installed system.

You'd have to be more specific about the login trouble - are you still seeing the graphical login screen or is this a text mode login? Are you able to successfully log in to your graphical desktop?

Consider setting up system snapshots with TImeshift - that saves you from mistakes made in changing the system configuration - restoring a working snapshot is faster than reinstalling the system. ;)
Qwazert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Qwazert »

Too late...I just re-installed MATE and am rebuilding from the ground up...hopefully this sort of problem won't show up again.
When I go to my desktop settings, I don't have Marco+sommitelu...I see Marco+ compositing and a few other variations...is it OK to play with these?
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Sure, no risk involved there.
Qwazert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Qwazert »

Well, apparently just changing from Marco+composite to plain old Marco...did the trick.
I was having the same problem with tearing, but switching the Desktop window settings to "Marco" solved the problem. Wish I had known about that a few hours ago.
:(

Return to “Newbie Questions”