SOLVED! Lost the Menu??? Then lost the Computer section too??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
greywoulf
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED! Lost the Menu??? Then lost the Computer section too??

Post by greywoulf »

The Menu icon in the lower panel toolbar disappeared! (Why? -Who knows?) So I opened the Computer section and tried resetting the show Menu toolbar option there in the View area, but to no avail.
And then the Computer section 'changed' and no longer opened up to the View options section, but now only shows something called "Basic", which only has 3 files in it!
Help! -Why is my Linux Cinnamon Mint deteriorating??
Greywoulf
Last edited by greywoulf on Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Lost the Menu??? Then lost the Computer section too??

Post by LanceM »

You need to tell us what version on Mint? 19.x 18.x? And Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
greywoulf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greywoulf »

blueocean wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:31 pm
You need to tell us what version on Mint? 19.x 18.x? And Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce?
OK, sorry... It's Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, Version 3.8.9
I'm using Chrome, and sometimes LXquick and Firefox as browsers. But mostly Chrome...
And my initial password is set to a blank space, but a password is required for all the important system changes apps.
All of this is on a 2006 Toshiba Satellite laptop that came to me with the Linux software pre-installed, as a gift from one of my kids.
Thanks for any help and advice, I seem to be able to get much of the info I need from clicking onna bottom tool bar (or panel?), but I really miss not having that pop-up Menu....
Greywoulf
squiggles3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squiggles3 »

Right click on some open space on your panel and choose "Applets" from the menu that pops up. In the list there is one called "Menu", click on it to select it and then click the "+" button near the bottom of the Applets window. This should add it back to the panel. You may need to move it around to put it back in its original spot.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Computer Section" is there any way to be more clear about that? What are you clicking on to get there?
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

To move applets, right click the panel and turn on Panel edit mode. There are commands to reset also if it's not fixed.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
greywoulf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greywoulf »

Thanks guys, it worked!
The Menu is back and opening OK, and also I now understand more about adjusting things via using the lower panel!

By the computer 'section' I meant clicking on the desktop's Computer icon. It seemed to not be opening certain things anymore. But now when I right-click it I do get options. However 'View' is not one of them, and I thought it was there before? Perhaps I'm mistaken tho and clicked on a different icon to get that 'View" option. As a Mint newbie there's still a certain amount of confusion... {But it's getting better! -Yas!)

Thanks very much again for the Menu retrieval instructions. Glad to get it back, it was much missed and even made it harder to shut down the system while it was gone...
I still have no idea tho why it was gone for a while; I did get some sort of strange message box about "Nemo"(??) not using the Menu on the panel anymore so I sh instead hit the 'alt' key to get it back temporarily whenever I wanted it. (Which didn't work!) Was there some kind of issued update applied to Cinnamon that I didn't know about?
Regards,
Greywoulf
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

View is prevalent in the file manager (Nemo)
squiggles3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squiggles3 »

Glad you got your menu back! The file manager for Cinnamon is called Nemo, it's a bit confusing for beginners because each Desktop Environment has their own. KDE has Dolphin, XFCE has Thunar etc.

As for my system, right clicking on the Computer icon does not have any view option for me but my Cinnamon version is quite a bit newer than yours. Maybe that was changed in an update a while back since, I assume, view would just be a redundant option to double clicking and opening up Computer that way.
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

My default Cinnamon 19.3 has no View when right clicking the desktop icon. If opened with left click, there is View (again it's Nemo)

Return to “Newbie Questions”