installing a program upgrade

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rn1
Level 2
Level 2

installing a program upgrade

Post by rn1 »

i thought i posted this a short while ago but do not see it. apologies if this duplicates in intent, my question.
i am struggling to install a firefox version...latest, which includes vital security update......that is not yet showing up in any repository.
i have the tar.bz2 latest file, but hard as I try, I cannot see in either software manager or synaptic manager, exactly how to select this particular file and execute it so that it just doesn't expand (what happens in archive manager) but actually installs.....hopefully over the existing firefox version so all settings are maintained.

would a kind soul please carefully walk me thru this?

many thanks.
robert

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: installing a program upgrade

Post by Pierre »

most of those tar.bz2 type files - are an simple archive,
- that you then extract & run the program / it's shell script.
the same for the Firefox program .. .. it doesn't install anything .. you just Run it.

- - Firefox will Auto-Upgrade, after a few days, or so - - just be a little patient, as it rolls through the various servers.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

rn1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rn1 »

thanks, but the report is active zero day exploit and I cannot afford to wait.
https://technology.weblife24.com/firefo ... exploited/

so i see all the files, but cannot figure out which one to execute to get this done.

with my thanks for your post, but can you tell me exactly which expanded file needs to be installed and exactly how to do so in synaptic manager?

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Can i ask a stupid question...Why are we trying to install firefox as a tar installation and not relying on the latest, vetted versions via update manager of the version installed via default???...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

you don't Install Firefox via it's tar.bz2 archive .. you simply extract it's files,
- to some newly created folder & then run the Firefox program.
if it works okay, you might then move that New Folder to somewhere like /usr/lib/firefox/

that Firefox will Auto-Update, to the version that you do require - - eventually - - that could take a few day
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi pierre...see if you can make any sense between this posted thread along with the companion piece he also posted...DAMIEN

I speak 8 languages and will be "darned" that for the life of me, i am unable to totally decipher either of the 2 separate postings being asked here...probably a good reason why i will never use google translater...lol.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=309133&p=1741629#p1741629
ORDO AB CHAO

rn1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rn1 »

the rules here say there is no such thing as a stupid question.

do you think it is possible that when one treats well-intended questions with anything other than that as the mantra, the end result may well be:

1. nothing to encourage others to ask questions, as opposed to making new kids fear looking bad and failing to post, thereby depriving the mission?

2. nothing, then, to further the kind of in-depth learning that should and could go on here (isn't this the reason for all this?)?

3. in a way, also implicitly diminishing the obviously beautiful work done by people who have developed mint and who need to give academic, non-personal comments in order to succeed?

"humility" goes a long way in this world. among other things, it opens and helps to keep open, inquiring minds.
Last edited by rn1 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Be careful m1, he is one of the developers.

As has been stated "Patience is a Virtue" the update will be available through the usual channels in short order. A "Zero day exploit" does not mean that you computer will suddenly fall over because it has just been discovered.
Initially when a user discovers that there is a security risk in a program, they can report it to the software company, which will then develop a security patch to fix the flaw. This same user may also take to the Internet and warn others about the flaw. Usually the program creators are quick to create a fix that improves program protection, however, sometimes hackers hear about the flaw first and are quick to exploit it.
The planets must be aligned for this to be a problem to you.
a) A "developer" must write the nasty code
b) It must then be distributed
c) You must receive said code via some download
d) You must be silly enough to open said code from an "untrusted" source

c & d are well within your purvey so, seriously, the onus is on you not to permit that code into your machine in the first place. No amount of security (or lack thereof) is going to protect you from your own stupidity. A little punctuation and capitalization would also help, too. ;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

rn1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 pm
there is obviously such a thing as a less than smart answer to a question
Don't enter flame wars here, if you think somebody is out of line report them or just put them on your ignore list ("add as foe" on their profile page) and forget they exist - it's what I have done with him long ago (he is no developer, lol).

That said, Mozilla links installation instructions on their download page, wouldn't have been hard to check there first...
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... efox-linux
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

rn1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rn1 »

i appreciate your note.

I also understand (and believe in) the line between allowing certain kinds of public comments to go unaddressed and not...and "why"...especially when overdoing it encroches on the very mission that I also believe in, here.

I don't care if someone is a developer, has been here forever, or the head of the UN. freely speaking in a public environment does not mean being free of other comments about it.

my questions were respectfully put, as they always are, and i am here to seek specific answers...while remaining as unobtrusive, myself, as I can.

that said, I had visited the firefox pages and saw what has been suggested to me. however, I was seeking more than that, such as why, when documentation seems to direct users to use software manager and synaptic, I was failing to accomplish my goal in doing so...and I was hoping for the kind of answer I would give and have given, when I am in the help side of life.

I am doing much of this under time pressures, and that always means risk of missing the obvious, etc...and perhaps I could have done a better job, but I did the best I could at the moment.....and was surprised to see anything but answers in the spirit that the forum itself says it operates in "no stupid questions".

that means (to me) respectful answers without "therapy" such as sentiments about not worrying.

anyway, life is short, and the world is filled with problems more important than this one.

thanks again.

rn1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rn1 »

since you took the time to write, and I appreciate it, and as I said, I am in a business that does not have the legal or practical luxury of waiting around.

in my world, the things that nobody thinks will actually happen, happen all the time...and the results for clients is often disastrous.

respectfully, I may not understand linux yet, but I do understand security and its practical and legal ramifications if done badly.

i liken it to the difference between not living in a lead safe to avoid lightning and simply not standing next to a metal tower in a lightning storm (in this case, installing the patch that is out there without waiting for it to propagate thru)

in my legal world, failing to take steps to minimize risk, especially when they are recommended and involve active exploits, is not just bad behavior. it can have legal consequences.

as to "punctuation" and the rest, as a kind of "internet shorthand", while I would like to do better, it has never stopped me from getting my job done and saving some keystrokes and the like here or there. the same with "spelling"....which is a common issue in almost every internet note I see.

i have been on the net since before the web existed, when darpa and academia ran a menu-driven affair, and I guess I fell into bad company.....
thanks again for the note.

lsemmens wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:15 pm
Be careful m1, he is one of the developers.

As has been stated "Patience is a Virtue" the update will be available through the usual channels in short order. A "Zero day exploit" does not mean that you computer will suddenly fall over because it has just been discovered.
Initially when a user discovers that there is a security risk in a program, they can report it to the software company, which will then develop a security patch to fix the flaw. This same user may also take to the Internet and warn others about the flaw. Usually the program creators are quick to create a fix that improves program protection, however, sometimes hackers hear about the flaw first and are quick to exploit it.
The planets must be aligned for this to be a problem to you.
a) A "developer" must write the nasty code
b) It must then be distributed
c) You must receive said code via some download
d) You must be silly enough to open said code from an "untrusted" source

c & d are well within your purvey so, seriously, the onus is on you not to permit that code into your machine in the first place. No amount of security (or lack thereof) is going to protect you from your own stupidity. A little punctuation and capitalization would also help, too. ;)

missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

if you require firefox to update faster than mint puts it out, do this:

Quicker updates for Firefox
9. Updates for your web browser Firefox come from Mint's own
repository, not straight from the Ubuntu sources. In some cases, this
might mean a delay of several days before you get the latest Firefox.

If you don't want to wait, you can instruct your Mint to prefer the
Ubuntu version of Firefox. Like this:

a. Launch a terminal window.
(You can launch a terminal window like this: *Click*)

b. Then create a certain new file by means of this terminal command
(use copy/paste to avoid typing errors):

Code: Select all

sudo touch /etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-ubuntu
Press Enter. Type your password when prompted. In Ubuntu this remains
entirely invisible, not even dots will show when you type it, that's
normal. In Mint this has changed: you'll see asterisks when you type.
Press Enter again.

Then copy/paste this line into the terminal, in order to edit the new file:

xed admin:///etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-ubuntu
Press Enter.

c. In that empty text file, copy/paste the following blue text:

Package: firefox*
Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 800

d. Save the modified text file and close it.

e. Launch Update Manager, refresh it and install the updates for
Firefox (if any).

f. Close Firefox and launch it again.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID9

my update manager just updated my firefox to the current 72.0.1
Last edited by missmoondog on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

rn1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 pm
that said, I had visited the firefox pages and saw what has been suggested to me. however, I was seeking more than that, such as why, when documentation seems to direct users to use software manager and synaptic, I was failing to accomplish my goal in doing so...and I was hoping for the kind of answer I would give and have given, when I am in the help side of life.
Well, if I may suggest, just abandon the idea of installing directly from mozilla and instead install Ubuntu's Firefox build (it's only Mint that's usually lagging behind):

apt install firefox/bionic
and then run this as well (copy & paste the whole thing):

sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-ubuntu.pref  <<'EOB'
EOB
edit: got distracted and forgot to post this, thread is moving fast, this was already posted but I'll leave this up since mine is more concise.
Last edited by gm10 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

rn1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rn1 »

you are too kind!
thank you!
missmoondog wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:47 pm
if you require firefox to update faster than mint puts it out, do this:

Quicker updates for Firefox
9. Updates for your web browser Firefox come from Mint's own
repository, not straight from the Ubuntu sources. In some cases, this
might mean a delay of several days before you get the latest Firefox.

If you don't want to wait, you can instruct your Mint to prefer the
Ubuntu version of Firefox. Like this:

a. Launch a terminal window.
(You can launch a terminal window like this: *Click*)

b. Then create a certain new file by means of this terminal command
(use copy/paste to avoid typing errors):

sudo touch /etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-ubuntu

Press Enter. Type your password when prompted. In Ubuntu this remains
entirely invisible, not even dots will show when you type it, that's
normal. In Mint this has changed: you'll see asterisks when you type.
Press Enter again.

Then copy/paste this line into the terminal, in order to edit the new file:

xed admin:///etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-ubuntu

Press Enter.

c. In that empty text file, copy/paste the following blue text:

d. Save the modified text file and close it.

e. Launch Update Manager, refresh it and install the updates for
Firefox (if any).

f. Close Firefox and launch it again.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID9

rn1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rn1 »

much appreciated.
thank you very much.
gm10 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 pm
rn1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 pm
Well, if I may suggest, just abandon the idea of installing directly from mozilla and instead install Ubuntu's Firefox build (it's only Mint that's usually lagging behind):

apt install firefox/bionic
and then run this as well (copy & paste the whole thing):

sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-ubuntu.pref  <<'EOB'
EOB

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

rn1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:30 am
i thought i posted this a short while ago but do not see it. apologies if this duplicates in intent
You did: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=309133
Here's a tip to make it easier to find your own postings: Near the left side top of the forum page, there is a button/link marked Quick Links. That opens a drop down menu that contains, among others, an entry called Your Posts. It's a very convenient way to find your own recent posts.

Here's another tip, if I may:
if someone is being unhelpful or unpleasant, it's probably best to ignore them... and if it's bad, report the post and let the moderators handle it. Focus on the answers that are helpful, not on those that aren't.
I've even seen people (not you) reply to unfriendly answers with their own equally unfriendly replies, and completely ignore the friendly and helpful answers they also received. You can probably imagine that these discussions did not go anywhere good.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

rn1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rn1 »

all noted with genuine thanks....for the tips and comments.

Moem wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 am
rn1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:30 am
i thought i posted this a short while ago but do not see it. apologies if this duplicates in intent
You did: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=309133
Here's a tip to make it easier to find your own postings: Near the left side top of the forum page, there is a button/link marked Quick Links. That opens a drop down menu that contains, among others, an entry called Your Posts. It's a very convenient way to find your own recent posts.

Here's another tip, if I may:
if someone is being unhelpful or unpleasant, it's probably best to ignore them... and if it's bad, report the post and let the moderators handle it. Focus on the answers that are helpful, not on those that aren't.
I've even seen people (not you) reply to unfriendly answers with their own equally unfriendly replies, and completely ignore the friendly and helpful answers they also received. You can probably imagine that these discussions did not go anywhere good.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Just a note that Mint's Firefox is now at 72.0.1 so is patched against the vulnerability mentioned by rm1.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

smurphos wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:02 am
Just a note that Mint's Firefox is now at 72.0.1 so is patched against the vulnerability mentioned by rm1.
yup. To the OP, I've posted similar when I thought I needed to go out of tree to get the latest..However, It usually takes just a few days to get the latest from LM on this sort of program. Thats not to say some odd progs are better taken from other repos but really, best to have patience.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

oldgranola wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:45 am
smurphos wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:02 am
yup. To the OP, I've posted similar when I thought I needed to go out of tree to get the latest..However, It usually takes just a few days to get the latest from LM on this sort of program. Thats not to say some odd progs are better taken from other repos but really, best to have patience.
In this case due to the nature of the vulnerability and the fact it was known to be being actively exploited it's not unreasonable to want to deploy the patch ASAP. Whether you do take steps or wait patiently for the update should depend on your own personal analysis of the risk and your risk adversity not that of other folks on a forum :wink:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Newbie Questions”