Problem with Amazon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RichardXXX
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with Amazon

Post by RichardXXX »

When I use Firefox to access merchandise listings the full page is slow to load and I often get a yellow pop-up that says:"A web page is slowing down your browser. What would you like to do ? Wait or Stop". BUT video plays well on Prime Video.

Strangely this does not happen when I used Chromium to access listings BUT Amazon says I need to update Chromium to view Prime Video. Quote from Amazon: "This web browser isn't compatible with Prime Video. Please use one of the following web browsers:
Chrome (latest version)"

I am running this Chromium: Version 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Linux Mint 19.3 (64-bit) and Firefox Version 71.0 64 bit . I only have a 17Mbps connection but I don't think that is the problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Problem with Amazon

Post by Hoser Rob »

Don't know why FF is having trouble with listings. But I think the reason it's playing Prime videos whereas chromium isn;t is because DRM is enabled in FF and doesn't work in chromium. There's a widevine plugin that's available for chromium but it's not supported and doesn't seem to work properly.

The best solution may be to just install Chrome. You cannot have a truly FOSS browser and DRM capability at the same time.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
RichardXXX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RichardXXX »

Thanks for the reply. Prime Video does work with Chrome but I consider it spyware.
Jedavis1975
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jedavis1975 »

Chrome is spyware, I use it only for streaming. Everyday browsing I use Firefox, with Privacy Badger, the one from EFF, installed. I have had no issues not related to streaming.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

RichardXXX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am When I use Firefox to access merchandise listings the full page is slow to load and I often get a yellow pop-up that says:"A web page is slowing down your browser. What would you like to do ? Wait or Stop". BUT video plays well on Prime Video..
Yeah i've seen this also in Firefox, just assumed it was down to one of the 'security' add-ons i used? It does not always happen and it does sort itself out after a few seconds, so not that big a deal for me really. I suspect a future Firefox update might get rid of it?
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

RichardXXX,
Try the Vivaldi browser which works with Amazon Prime and does not include the objectionable Google stuff.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
RichardXXX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RichardXXX »

Thank you Terry
Blancober
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blancober »

Sometimes it happens when I want to enter a certain link on Amazon.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Give Vivaldi a try it works pretty well for streaming and I have no problems with it on Amazon.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Or try Ungoogled Chromium, it's in the Software Manager.
(https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/index.html)
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Ungoogled chromium does not provide drm which chromium is missing FF enables it as does Vivaldi Or Chrome of course.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Jedavis1975 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:59 pm Chrome is spyware, I use it only for streaming. Everyday browsing I use Firefox, with Privacy Badger, the one from EFF, installed. I have had no issues not related to streaming.
I had an issue like that for a little bit, FF is the only browser that I will use... no debates on that subject.

vs 89.0 works just fine, and is what I am still using. the later versions gave me problems, and I backed up to 89.0 with Timeshift.

I use Amazon many times a day, as I read a LOT of Kindle books, and the odd purchase works just fine also.

I'm not real hep on Privacy Badger, took it off.
I do use uBlock Origin

addons.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”