SOLVED IMAC Passwd & USB Reinstall

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MacUser1947
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED IMAC Passwd & USB Reinstall

Post by MacUser1947 »

I installed Linux Mint 19.xxx on my 2011 IMAC (Intel I-5) a few days ago. Today, when I tried to use Synaptics Package Manager, my password failed. Researched ways to retrieve. All failed. I tried to reinstall Linux Mint from the Boot USB, but because the IMAC no longer has the APPLE stuff, the "Hold the Option" key technique doesn't work. The installed system loads.

My preferred method of solution is to boot from the USB and install Mint from "scratch," but am willing to try anything.
Be gentle, please. I am a 72 year old guy. Not slow, but not as fast as I was 10 years ago.

I can take screen shots, etc. I have a few skills (ultimate newbie here)
Last edited by MacUser1947 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Re: IMAC Passwd & USB Reinstall

Post by kato181 »

MacUser1947
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MacUser1947 »

I tried this several days ago. Doesn't work. I shall try again, but some of the info isn't helpful to ald old guy newbie like me.
Instruction for me should be idiot proof if possible (hehe)

One of the tasks listed on the page is "if you can't see XXX, then make it visible" How??

The page you recommended appears to be for a Windows Machine. Mine is an IMAC.
If I could boot from the USB (can't use the old MacIntosh techniques - I think the firmware is changed now that I installed Linux mint)
If I could boot from USB I'd be eternally grateful.

Continued thanks.

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Post by absque fenestris »

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

That link works for all computers regardless of it being windows. All laptops have usb ports, all you have to do is hit the bios boot key, I don't know what it is for apple machines and boot from that device.

MacUser1947
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MacUser1947 »

It would be nice, but since I cannot get into the BIOS on my IMAC, I need some way to boot the USB (USB works) Linux is installed, but I cannot get out of thew crazy "wrong password" thingy.

If you can tell me the proper keystrokes to boot from an IMAC to USB would be nice. the Start + OPTION KEY does not work. The badly install Linux Mint System loads every time.
Can't boot to USB on IMac with Linux.

IF you can point me to a series of commands to recover my password, create a nerw one wou;d be good. SUDO does not work tells me password is wrong.

Thanks for you help.
72 Year Old Newbie

sanmig
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sanmig »

Hmm, you don’t have a Security Chip in your iMac (pro)? :shock:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

Did you try the macOS Recovery (Command-R)?
The keys are HW+FW functions, no OS, tried another keyboard?
To USB boot you need the BIOS FW function and a bootable device, is it connected and OK?
To boot my iMac sometimes I have to disconnect the power cord
* from the machine (!!!) *,
wait a minute, connect and start (strange, I know).

MacUser1947
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MacUser1947 »

The Mac functions don't work. I installed Linux Mint and wiped out all the mac stuff. Boot + option for example does nothing the CTRL+P+R also does not work
Of course I tried all pf the usual Mac functions - nothing works.
Machine runs fine, but password is gone, couldn't fix that, and I am unable to boot to USB to format and do a clean install."The usual CTL+ Option stuff no l;longer exists

Open to any ideas,
Thank you

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

MacUser1947 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:15 am
The Mac functions don't work. I installed Linux Mint and wiped out all the mac stuff. Boot + option for example does nothing the CTRL+P+R also does not work
Of course I tried all pf the usual Mac functions - nothing works.
Machine runs fine, but password is gone, couldn't fix that, and I am unable to boot to USB to format and do a clean install."The usual CTL+ Option stuff no l;longer exists
Hi. I doubt seriously I can offer any thing but maybe I can ask a question or two that might lead to something! As you can see by my name I'm a Linux nubie and I'm also very new to the mac world. I'm seriously interested in your predicament as I'm in the process of taking over my wife's old imac, 2009-10, so OJT so to speak!

If I understand correctly:

* mac os is totally gone & replaced w/Linux mint (which one)?
* NO mac keyboard combo/functions work?
* boots fine to Linux?
* can't live boot from usb drive?
* have you or can you try the cd live boot method (can't really help there because I've not done it either, just know it's a possibility)?
* keyboard functions correctly w/Linux?
* have you tried repeatedly pressing ESC key on start up, F2, F8, F10, F12?

BTW, I'm from 1948 so you're not alone!

sanmig
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sanmig »

- You’ve used a USB keyboard directly connected to the back of the iMac, not via a hub, and removed all other HW, even the mouse, before trying?
Also Snow Leopard DVD doesn’t boot, and it doesn’t boot over the Internet?
[ I couldn’t find it in the Net, but I somehow recall a certain iMac (HW?) issue where the keyboard wasn’t activated in time during boot sequence :twisted: ]
MacUser1947 wrote:
... I installed Linux Mint and wiped out all the mac stuff.
Seems to be well done, anyway! 8)

But now, when it boots into Mint (internal HDD), you can’t stop GRUB by hitting “Esc” during boot (see @kato181’s first reply)?
Doesn’t it react to any key? (see above ...)

But:
Re-reading your reply to @kato181, I think there was a misunderstanding on your side:
- You wrote: “if you can’t see XXX … visible ... How??”
-> By hitting “Esc” key several times upon boot, until you see a scary black and white thingy:
- This is the Linux GRUB bootloader, nothing from a Windows Machine (although Billy has stolen this appearance from Unix, Mi$o keeps it until today).

-> Go through that (by @kato181) linked text, line by line, and tell us where you have probs.
(What's that SUDO mentioning in one of your posts, when was it asked? Take care with sudo!)

I’m a Linux n00b, but likely someone here could help if you explain exactly what you see at power on, up to which pwd request?

=======

On the other hand, if all Mint access attempts fail you’d likely have to take out / replace the HD.
Select exactly your model (check under the iMac’s foot):
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

Make sure to have good light and someone to help, the magnets are strong, both, glass and display are heavy.
Installing an externally prepared HDD / SSD should put you back on track, either Mac or Linux.

MacUser1947
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MacUser1947 »

sanmig wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:00 pm
- You’ve used a USB keyboard directly connected to the back of the iMac, not via a hub, and removed all other HW, even the mouse, before trying?
Also Snow Leopard DVD doesn’t boot, and it doesn’t boot over the Internet?
[ I couldn’t find it in the Net, but I somehow recall a certain iMac (HW?) issue where the keyboard wasn’t activated in time during boot sequence :twisted: ]
MacUser1947 wrote:
... I installed Linux Mint and wiped out all the mac stuff.
Seems to be well done, anyway! 8)

But now, when it boots into Mint (internal HDD), you can’t stop GRUB by hitting “Esc” during boot (see @kato181’s first reply)?
Doesn’t it react to any key? (see above ...)

But:
Re-reading your reply to @kato181, I think there was a misunderstanding on your side:
- You wrote: “if you can’t see XXX … visible ... How??”
-> By hitting “Esc” key several times upon boot, until you see a scary black and white thingy:
- This is the Linux GRUB bootloader, nothing from a Windows Machine (although Billy has stolen this appearance from Unix, Mi$o keeps it until today).

-> Go through that (by @kato181) linked text, line by line, and tell us where you have probs.
(What's that SUDO mentioning in one of your posts, when was it asked? Take care with sudo!)

I’m a Linux n00b, but likely someone here could help if you explain exactly what you see at power on, up to which pwd request?

=======

On the other hand, if all Mint access attempts fail you’d likely have to take out / replace the HD.
Select exactly your model (check under the iMac’s foot):
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

Make sure to have good light and someone to help, the magnets are strong, both, glass and display are heavy.
Installing an externally prepared HDD / SSD should put you back on track, either Mac or Linux.
None of those things work but I bought a refurbished IMAC. I plan to dismantle the one I had problems with and attempt a few things

When I try to boot I see nothing until the Linux logo appears no matter what keys or key combinations work
Linux Mint works fine - I cannot change the password, sudo command doesn';t work for that reason.

O hoped to reboot from USB and reinstall, but no luck.

My advice is to make the IMAC a dual Boot computer. My wife and I have install various distros of Linux on Windows Laptops and be experience the need to reinstall often.
For example, my 17" HP updated yesterday, but because the Distro doesn't load a good Wifi adapter I am forced to manually load a wifi adapter rtl8723de
in order to get wifi working.
I think I'll write a script to perform the reload and shorten the rtl8723de installation.

The IMAC is a late 2011 I5 with 8GB ram.

I can get the info you need, maybe. Not sure.
Thanks for your help.

MacUser1947
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MacUser1947 »

Please note. My wife was able to get into Grub, change password.
I used the L/H Shift Key, she used the R/H Shift Key on a USB Keyboard
Tricky however. Took about 20 tries. She said to wait 1 second after pressing power on, THEN press Shift. (or esc)
too long more than 1.1 seconds (she said, hehe) and the boot fails.

27" Imac late 2011
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6670M 512 MB

Thanks for all the input - help was invaluable.
Thanks again

sanmig
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sanmig »

MacUser1947 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:19 am
Please note. My wife was able to get into Grub, change password.
I used the L/H Shift Key, she used the R/H Shift Key on a USB Keyboard
Tricky however. Took about 20 tries. She said to wait 1 second after pressing power on, THEN press Shift. (or esc)
too long more than 1.1 seconds (she said, hehe) and the boot fails.
Glad to hear you got it fixed :D

Pls “Edit” your first posting in this thread and add [SOLVED]
in front of the subject / title, to indicate that to others :!:

MacUser1947
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED MAC Passwd & USB Reinstall

Post by MacUser1947 »

Thanks for everyone's help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”