<Solved> T-Bird Mail Notify Question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ex-Postoid
Level 1
Level 1

<Solved> T-Bird Mail Notify Question

Post by Ex-Postoid »

Hey Guys,
Enjoying 19.3 Mint but...now that I've been through a pile of email apps I've been scratching my noggin on Thunderbird which is like the 4th app I've tried to get notifications to show up.
I want / like to have a email program that sits on the tray and notifies me if I received a email. I'm in and out of the dwelling most days and the transition from Windows 7 to Linux is interesting, just having a time with the notification thing.
So have TB ver 68.2.2 and mailnag 1.3.0 plus this Mailbox Alert add-on 0.23.1 for TB. On the bottom panel (taskbar) sits TB. If I send a "test" email from my phone to my email account that I've got programmed in TB and it's set up to check the server every 10min, I wait... (another cup of joe) and wait. Finally at the end of the day (lol) I click the icon and TB opens and sure enough, my 'test' msg is there but NO notification has happened. I have Notifications turned on in Linux, in TB under Preferences/General "When New Messages Arrives" box is ticked "Show an Alert". Mailnag is active. Mailbox Alert is ON when you go to Inbox and right click on "inbox" scroll down to 'Mail box Alert' >default message is ticked ON. Still NO notification.
But..here's where I'm confused. TB sitting in the bottom panel doesn't seem to be "active" until I open it. So I tried something last night. I opened it, then clicked the minimise button '-' so it's back to the taskbar but now it's active/open. And...after a "test" msg again is sent, notifications work! Now..is that 'normal'? I know coming from Win 7 and Win 8 this doesn't happen but now on Linux, is there a way without minimising TB, to have it stay "active" on the lower panel? Is there a hidden setting that's lurking but I don't know about it maybe?
Thanks as always for any directions!! :)
Last edited by Ex-Postoid on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Re: T-Bird Mail Notify Question

Post by kato181 »

As far as I know unless you start a particular email program it will not fetch the emails. I have used TB since year dot, and have a sound file that notifies me when I get an email. But that does not happen until I have TB running. It always worked the same in winwoes. You can use others notifiers that let you know that email has arrived at your server, but it still will not let you know that TB has retrieved it until you start TB.Shrinking it down to your taskbar works fine, outlook was the same, windows mail, incredimail...the list goes on.

Ex-Postoid
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Re: T-Bird Mail Notify Question

Post by Ex-Postoid »

kato181 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:24 am
As far as I know unless you start a particular email program it will not fetch the emails. I have used TB since year dot, and have a sound file that notifies me when I get an email. But that does not happen until I have TB running. It always worked the same in winwoes. You can use others notifiers that let you know that email has arrived at your server, but it still will not let you know that TB has retrieved it until you start TB.Shrinking it down to your taskbar works fine, outlook was the same, windows mail, incredimail...the list goes on.
Ah, so be it. Yea, Outlook on my Win7 going way back I fiddled with it more times than I care to remember. Pop-up notifications were hit-or-miss.
Appreciate your imput ! Hope you get a soaking for those fires down there!

Cheers :)

ciniset
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciniset »

you have done 99% of the job :D you probably just miss to install mailnag applet which solve your problem (was also mine) because - for me - it doesn't make sense to have all the time the e-mail app open.
i second your thoughts for kato181!
Hope you get a soaking for those fires down there!

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

Thanx guys..We haven't had rain where I live for 12months others much longer. We just had 5mins rain shower..never wet the path.. :(

Ex-Postoid
Level 1
Level 1

Re: T-Bird Mail Notify Question <Solved>

Post by Ex-Postoid »

ciniset wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:08 pm
you have done 99% of the job :D you probably just miss to install mailnag applet which solve your problem (was also mine) because - for me - it doesn't make sense to have all the time the e-mail app open.
Hope you get a soaking for those fires down there!
Thank you ciniset for that 'tap on the shoulder' :wink: I went into All Apps and noticed I must have uninstalled 'nag during times of frustration so we'll put it back and see if I just get the toolbar pop-up. That's all I really need.
Just down in Brisbane 3 months ago. :D

Ex-Postoid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ex-Postoid »

I think I've set up T-bird email with a good, consistent (fingers crossed) lower panel email notification app. All I seek is "something" that notifies me I have mail without opening up / activating Thunderbird out of the panel. Mail Notification has been working great for what I need.
Thanks to all for the help !

Return to “Newbie Questions”