SOLVED: Mint 19.3 showing triple share of one SMB to other linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Peterjack
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED: Mint 19.3 showing triple share of one SMB to other linux

Post by Peterjack »

Hey all- I sure do hate to post yet again, but Mint 19.3 is evidently different in many ways than 18.3 and nothing I have read or tried clears this up so far.
TripleVisibleSambaShareFromMint19-3.png
TripleVisibleSambaShareFromMint19-3.png (10.16 KiB) Viewed 315 times
My Windows machines see one share and it works perfectly, but all of my older 18.3 Linux machines see three images of one single SMB share and behavior differs. XFCE 32 bit can mount any of these three images successfully, but Cinnamon 64 can only mount the first image sometimes, the middle image other times, the other two return the standard "Unable to mount, no share info from server" message.

Obviously I'd like every OS to see one successful share in Network Browser! All ideas welcome. There is no sharing outside of samba.conf (or isn't supposed to be. folder shows no sharing in file manager) Do note: First two tries to share, removed before each next try and reboot, were 1) File Manager, 2) Caja - but all terminal commands to see mounted show nothing but what should be there, no ghosts.

Mint 19.3 box is iCore 3 dual boot laptop, pretty much still a standard install with little customization so far, and below is fstab and smb.conf:

Last line fstab:
UUID=8234353534352D93 /mnt/sda3 ntfs-3g rw,umask=0000,defaults 0 0

Bottom of smb.conf:
[Data_C]
path = /mnt/sda3/
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
Last edited by Peterjack on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowfinch
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 19.3 showing triple share of one SMB to other linux

Post by yellowfinch »

The "Known issues" section of the release notes for 19.3 mentions that there are problems with Samba and it proposes a workaround.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tricia_cinnamon.php

Peterjack
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Peterjack »

@yellowfinch Thanks much for the reply and links, I will try them tomorrow. Not sure I made the best decision going with 19.3 just released. it is hard to find accurate info online yet, Hope your weekend is going great!

Peterjack
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Peterjack »

Jan 12 Update: implementing these changes to smb.conf did not correct the triple image sharing issue, but it did seem to stabilize mount and unmount and re-mount when I can figure out which of the three is really "active" shown in my Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 Nemo file manager. Before it was hit or miss, especially re-mount. The Mint 19.3 share remains visible and solid for my Windows desktops also.

On the other hand, it has removed visibility of a Windows 7 share (bookmark still works fine though), so a mixed bag. Overall I shall keep it for now, and again thanks for the reply.

@all Can I get the newer "disco" version of Samba mentioned in the related pages, and if I can- how?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

What we have here is an overlap of something from the last century ( NetBIOS ) and something from this century ( mDNS or Avahi ).

The icon labeled with the SMB at the end is mDNS and is only visible to another Linux or MacOS box and I'm assuming is the result of you adding an avahi service file at /etc/avahi/services. When selected it will resolve to smb://pjflinuxserver.local.

One of the other icons - without SMB at the end - is NetBIOS and will resolve to smb://pjflinuxserver. When it works. NetBIOS is a flaky thing and is the #1 reason people hate working with Samba.

The other icon - without SMB at the end is most likely the built-in mDNS registration that Samba and Ubuntu 18 made available. You should be able to eliminate that one by disabling it in smb.conf itself:

Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line at this one:

Code: Select all

multicast dns register = no
Then restart smbd:

sudo service smbd restart
You will have 2 icons remaining: One with SMB at the end that is visible to MacOS and Linux but not Windows and the other one that is visible to everyone. You could if you want eliminate this icon as well but then you will have a discovery issue with your Windows clients.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Peterjack
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Peterjack »

@altair4 Cannot wait to try this! Update soon. Thanks for your time! (yes, I do have an Avahi smb service entry). Back with the old tower server (dual boot XP w/18.3 sharing) it seemed to help with the overall sharing between XFCE, XP, Win7 boxes, so I repeated it.

UPDATE late Jan 13: [line about max sessions #'d out, new line only under workgroup=]

(1) OK, yes, only TWO (not three) share icons on Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 and XFCE. Opens easy XFCE, can take multiple tries of "unable to mount" to be successful Cinnamon 64, but will open eventually. Bookmark equally buggy, but the message is "unable to display" and eventually works. I was hoping for better bookmark performance if possible... When this new 'server' is stabilized it will have a hardwired and static IP- might that help?

(2)Windows XP, Win7, and Win10 access the single visible share without issues (Win10 cannot browse, no surprise, mapped). This is a main function for Aaomi Backupper incrementals, an all platform shared folder, and storage of my camera files for Plex sharing to TV-- Check.

Going forward- do not care if any of the Windows machines can browse for the share as long as I can map to it. Can I improve the connection performance of the bookmark in 18.3 Nemo? If I understand your information correctly, I can't get rid of the "(SMB)" share icon the Linux machines don't need without affecting Windows connections negatively I think? (yes/no) Re-reading again I think I am confused on this point, it is the "(SMB)" icon that isn't necessary? On Cin 64 that is the one that cannot be mounted though...

And THANKS!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

If I understand your information correctly, I can't get rid of the "(SMB)" share icon the Linux machines don't need without affecting Windows connections negatively I think? (yes/no) Re-reading again I think I am confused on this point, it is the "(SMB)" icon that isn't necessary? On Cin 64 that is the one that cannot be mounted though...
It's the other way around.

hostname SMB is for any Linux or MacOS client to discover your machine. The one without SMB at the end is for legacy Windows machines.

Why you cannot access the machine from Mint Cinnamon client using the hostname SMB icon seems to be a Mint thing. You don't get reports of this happening in Ubuntu or any of the other ones in the Ubuntu family Xubuntu, .. etc....
When this new 'server' is stabilized it will have a hardwired and static IP- might that help?
Static ip addresses are your friend. It's the pureset form of network access and bypasses whatever bugs are present in NetBIOS, avahi , gnome, Mint, whatever that may be present on your system that prevents name resolution.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Um ... you know ... there is another way to access from another Linux box your Mint samba server and it's the equivalent of a "map" in Windows. It's called cifs.

An example - to be done on the Linux client to this server:

[1] Install cifs-utils - I never know if Mint installs this by default:

sudo apt install cifs-utils
[2] Create a mount point for this - best to be done outside of your home directory:

sudo mkdir /mnt/LinServerC
[3] Edit /etc/fstab and add the following at the bottom of the file:

//pjflinuxserver.local/data_c /mnt/LinServerC cifs guest,uid=altair,nounix,noatuo,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=10 0 0
** You can change pjflinuxserver.local to the ip address when you make it static
** The client user needs to replace altair in uid=altair with his own user name.

Then do the systemd 2-step on the client:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl restart remote-fs.target
Now have the client go to his /mnt/LinServerC folder to see the contents of the share.

This bypasses how the file manager makes contact with the server and for other reasons offers far faster transfer speeds.

Peterjack
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Peterjack »

@altair4 All this information is very useful and I follow it- can do it. Thanks for going step by step and thanks for taking time to reply! I love Mint, though I do read stuff.... The minute I'm off work down goes the dang blue Windows screen and up comes my friendly green Mint screen! I'll soldier on making it work. It sounds hopeful the server will behave better when I put it in place with the static IP, but during the "build" I wanted it portable so I could work wherever, whenever. Once set in place I'll fight to make Remmina work again from my main machine (like the old tower) so I can remote in when needed without moving it- another good reason to "map" it in Linux to this client as you suggest. Posting as Solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”