[Solved] Can I switch to kernel 2.6.30?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Resolved]-Can I switch to kernel 2.6.30?

Post by Lantesh »

darco glad I could be of help. The link for that script looks interesting. I've always re-installed the Nvidia driver myself after the kernel update. It's interesting to see someone has written a script to handle it automatically.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

That script worked perfectly. It should be part of Ubuntu........hey, what do I need to do to install the latest Gnome? I had the Karmic repos running but wasnt sure which gnome app to pick..there were so many....
thxs

darco
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh »

You can use the Karmic repos to update Gnome, but I don't recommend it. I've used later Ubuntu repos in the past to upgrade Gnome in different versions of Mint. One time I totally borked my system. Another time it went fine. You really would be taking your chances. Basically you have to take a look at the different Gnome packages, and do a few at a time until you have them all done. Personally my system is running perfect right now, so I have no intention of messing with Gnome.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Lantesh wrote:You can use the Karmic repos to update Gnome, but I don't recommend it. I've used later Ubuntu repos in the past to upgrade Gnome in different versions of Mint. One time I totally borked my system. Another time it went fine. You really would be taking your chances. Basically you have to take a look at the different Gnome packages, and do a few at a time until you have them all done. Personally my system is running perfect right now, so I have no intention of messing with Gnome.
I hear ya....I should back off......now what do I do w/my free time :)

darco
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh »

Well if you've got free time check out this thread. 8)
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32932

Return to “Newbie Questions”