Dell Optiplex 740 slow to boot and load 19.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1markmask
Level 1
Level 1

Dell Optiplex 740 slow to boot and load 19.3

Post by 1markmask »

I'm new to this and this is my first post. I've read the instructions so here it goes...
I've got an old Dell Optiplex 740 that's slow to boot and slow to load. It's not too
bad as the total time is about 3 min. But I'm thinking it could be better. I ran a
couple of commands and which I'm going to put below. Any help I could get would
be greatly appreciated. - just checked the preview and the links aren't showing up.
not sure what I'm not doing here..

Thanks, Mark

CODE: systemd-analyze
[https://termbin.com/jtc9]

CODE: inxi -Frxzc0
[https://termbin.com/xu6te]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Dell Optiplex 740 slow to boot and load 19.3

Post by Petermint »

Your main hard disk is at an age where you should look at a replacement. A medium priced 500 GB SSD, AU$80, will kill both your current disks for speed and give you about ten years of reliable use.
1markmask
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dell Optiplex 740 slow to boot and load 19.3

Post by 1markmask »

Thanks Petermint.
I have a friend who's wife just died from cancer. He's a truck driver and hasn't had the need
use a computer. But now he's laid up with some medical issue so I thought I'd give him this one
to get him started. So it looks like replacing that drive will boost my start up then.
Thanks for your help.

Mark

Return to “Beginner Questions”