Issues with Torguard VPN after upgrade of App.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Issues with Torguard VPN after upgrade of App.

Post by wind_rose_2 »

I had recently upgraded versions of my Torguard VPN and find l am no longer to connect to programming previously watched (UK ITV).
Torguards suggestions (Posted below) suggest using the terminal and using a "Editor" to open a file. I am not familiar with Editors and would appreciate any direction.

Changing DNS Settings in Linux
Manually configuring your Linux computer with other DNS server addresses can help you access blocked sites and enjoy faster speeds.

To manually configure your computer with our DNS servers’ addresses, in Linux (Ubuntu):

Run the following command:
sudo apt-get install resolvconf
Open the following file in an editor:
/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
Write the following lines to the file (these are Google DNS servers):
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

If Google DNS is blocked for you, please try:
Neustar DNS Advantage (156.154.70.1 and 156.154.71.1),
Level3 DNS (4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2)
Remove any other nameserver lines.
Save the file.
Backup the current configuration file, by running:
sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.backup
Link to the new resolvconf configuration file, by running:
sudo ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
sudo resolvconf -u
Restart network services by running:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Try connecting to the VPN again.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Issues with Torguard VPN after upgrade of App.

Post by trytip »

don't know what you want. what is the question?

wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

What is an "Editor" as referred to (in purple hilite) and how do l access it?
Sorry for not being clearer.

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

It would be good to what version of linux mint you are running.
But in the end they want to install some software and then go edit a file
This should do it:
Hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys and hit T
This will open a terminal
cut and paste the following after the $

Code: Select all

You will be asked for your password - enter it
You will probably be asked if you want to continue - enter y

Next they want you to make some changes in a file
in the terminal cut and paste

export SUDO_EDITOR="xed -w"; sudoedit  /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
They want you to add Google DNS servers so cut and paste these two lines into the file

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
If you see any other lines that say nameserver - delete them
save then quit
That should do it
Then cut and paste the other commands one at a time into the terminal and run them

sudo resolvconf -u

They mention that if Google is blocked (are you in China?) to replace the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. with 156.154.70.1 and 156.154.71.1 or with 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

this is your current DNS as it's being read on the internets

https://dnsleaktest.com/
what DNS do you want

wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

I have been running Torguard VPN with no issues on 4 different laptops with 4 different OS's 1) is Linux Mint 17.3 2) is Peppermint 10 3) is Windows 8.2 and the 4th is my wife’s running a Windows 10.
Up until Monday last , all Torguard apps were run on Vers.3.96.1 and all ran fine allowing me to access the UK programming l wished to view. I then upgraded all machines with the new Vers 3.97.4 it was then l noticed that the two Windows machines performed as well as before but the two Linux machines will no longer allow me to access the programming and is now displaying pop ups requesting that l update my settings on my Google Chrome or Fire Fox and l do occasionally use either or without issues.
Well l ensured the settings were correctly set and went as far as to clear all cache (multiple times) as sometimes thats what it takes but with no success. I have been in contact with their support (Torguards) since 10 am with no success and they finally said that maybe l should contact a Linux support group.
The VPNs l am using are dedicated and doing l check have confirmed they are showing me as being in the UK, l am able to connect to UK Netflix as well as UK BBC but so far have been unable to re establish programming from ITV.com...the web site is not an issue just the streaming of programming . I have searched the forum for any past similar issues with no success. That just about describes where l am just now.

Dave

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

still do not know what you need. you should not assume that anyone knows anything about your issue. never used any torguards have no clue what that is, and their support should already have told you what you need to do. saying something worked before but doesn't work now is not useful information
my car was running fine yesterday and had no problems starting or keeping it running. today it would not start and when it did start for a few seconds it didn't stay running for long, can you help me fix it?

wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

Digging in a bit deeper with the folks at Torguard we had reset the IP and l find l am able to connect to multiple countries/TV stations and all appear to be allowing me to access and stream programming with no issues which leads to the fact that the VPN is functioning as it is intended to.
The issue it would seem is with the ITV television network and it not recognizing the two linux OS's l am currently using. It (ITV) does allow my Windows 8.2 and 10 to function normally so now l need to find out if this is a problem that is current (within the last week) and would like to reach out to any Linux operators in the London Area to try to connect to the ITV programming and report their results. ITV is not above changing things with out notice and l have experienced this in other years.
The problem definitely seemed to coincide with my Version Update of the Torguard program.
So to sum it up..if you are using a Linux system and have access to UK ITV.com let me know if you can stream their programming.
Dave

wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

trytip wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 am
still do not know what you need. you should not assume that anyone knows anything about your issue. never used any torguards have no clue what that is, and their support should already have told you what you need to do. saying something worked before but doesn't work now is not useful information
my car was running fine yesterday and had no problems starting or keeping it running. today it would not start and when it did start for a few seconds it didn't stay running for long, can you help me fix it?
I believe l was in the correct forum "Newbie Questions"...my purpose for getting involved with Linux was for trying to educate myself with new technologies and l have to date posted 44 times and therefore consider myself to be in the Newbie category. I would have assumed someone with your qualifications to be aware of VPN's that being said having some background in auto mechanics if you posed to me the question you suggested regarding your car not running l believe l could offer some sound ideas as to where to look to help get your car up and running again.
If l have violated any rules with my reply..l apologize.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

no, never used a vpn. looks like your ip was banned due to it being a blacklisted ip address. this issue isn't a linux question at all. give a link to what address you like to open so it can be tested

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

trytip wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:12 pm
no, never used a vpn.
Then you should have left the question alone instead of berating the poster for not satisfying your utter lack of knowledge on the question. Anyone who knows their stuff could read and infer what the problem was. If you offer support then it's your job to elicit the information you need, but demanding that you be educated to that level is a sorry excuse for berating newbies, especially since it goes without needing to be said that the they do not know what information is needed.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

wind_rose_2 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:37 pm
What is an "Editor" as referred to (in purple hilite) and how do l access it?
Sorry for not being clearer.
For a "straight" answer to your question there are a few "editors", xed (mentioned above) and is installed by default. Nano is also installed (I'm pretty sure, we don't know what your running) and I'm going to recommend it for "editing" system files. Take a minute to learn a bit about it,
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/42980/t ... xt-editor/

Accessing it is as simple as sudo nano in terminal (probably sudo nano /path/to/file_name)
Make your "edits"
press Ctrl + O to write Out, press ENTER to confirm file name, press Ctrl + X to exit.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 pm
then it's your job to elicit the information you need
it's my job to do nothing since i don't offer support and under no contract to do so. torguard which is payed for by the OP should offer support. i usually push the OP in the right direction, albeit at an unorthodoxed way but such is life. we can't all have rainbows and cookies for breakfast.
and if you don't like the method to my madness, i'll just wait here and see how long before someone with a torguard vpn shines in with their fix issue. it may look like i don't give a crap about the op but i assure you i'm not the evil that you seek.

oh, and BTW i'm not trying to educate myself quite the opposite. :wink:

wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

trytip wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 pm
then it's your job to elicit the information you need
it's my job to do nothing since i don't offer support and under no contract to do so. torguard which is payed for by the OP should offer support. i usually push the OP in the right direction, albeit at an unorthodoxed way but such is life. we can't all have rainbows and cookies for breakfast.
and if you don't like the method to my madness, i'll just wait here and see how long before someone with a torguard vpn shines in with their fix issue. it may look like i don't give a crap about the op but i assure you i'm not the evil that you seek.

oh, and BTW i'm not trying to educate myself quite the opposite. :wink:
First off let me apologize to you for my knee jerk response..it was not the right thing to do.
I do appreciate the assistance you had attempted to provide but we are obviously not on the same level of understanding and l can understand your frustration with dealing with a complete nooby.
I had been online with the Torguard support for over twelve hrs and they are still trying to resolve my issue to the extent that they are actually building a computer with the Linux disto in an attempt to duplicate the issue, and l am hoping they are able to. Their initial response was that their service was doing what it was intended to do and they had suggested my contacting a Linux forum thinking it may have been a OS issue as l had recently upgraded a new kernal. Which by the way getting back to your automotive example, would be one of the first questions l would have asked you..what had you done recently prior to having the issue.
I am certain there will be a point at which we will be able to communicate and on a level where we both can answer and ask the questions so as to effect a resolve.
and l wish at this time to thank the others who have chimed in..especially regarding what an editor is and the link provided..though still somewhat confused as to how to use it to correct my issue.
Regards
Dave

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

wind_rose_2 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 pm
..especially regarding what an editor is and the link provided..though still somewhat confused as to how to use it to correct my issue.
Wait a minute . . . . are you saying you have not added the software they told you to and edited the file that TOR spelled out?

What about this did you not understand?
majpooper wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:08 pm
It would be good to what version of linux mint you are running.
But in the end they want to install some software and then go edit a file
This should do it:
Hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys and hit T
This will open a terminal
cut and paste the following after the $

You will be asked for your password - enter it
You will probably be asked if you want to continue - enter y

Next they want you to make some changes in a file
in the terminal cut and paste

export SUDO_EDITOR="xed -w"; sudoedit  /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
They want you to add Google DNS servers so cut and paste these two lines into the file

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
If you see any other lines that say nameserver - delete them
save then quit
That should do it
Then cut and paste the other commands one at a time into the terminal and run them

sudo resolvconf -u

They mention that if Google is blocked (are you in China?) to replace the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. with 156.154.70.1 and 156.154.71.1 or with 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

Majpooper, Sorry for not replying to your assist earlier. I did indeed manage to run the commands as you had explained and the text editor automaticity just popped up when needed. Unfortunately it did nothing. after rebooting we had discovered the VPN was indeed working as we had tried it on different broadcasting stations (BBC) and found they all worked so it was determined that the Torguard software update must have coincided with the UK ITV broadcast station amending their software whereby effectively identifying the use of the VPN and blocking it.
Torguard has informed me of their intention to install a linux OS on a computer and will be working on replicating my results, they had also mentioned receiving service requests from others just recently . They have not closed my Ticket so l know they are working on a resolve.This is what they do, they make money with work arounds so l am confident they will obtain a solution.
Dave

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

... their software whereby effectively identifying the use of the VPN and blocking it.
@wind_rose_2 don't apologize there's no need. i get your frustration, in fact my brother uses vpn to access other countries and when he had the same issue i was amazed he could not access sites which were more common and not so secure. many sites implemented a firewall blocking the use of vpn because they may be used to hack and hide identities. it is the job of vpn developers to anticipate this and counter it professionally not blame the operating system. if you do not have a link to a site that can be tested there is not much one can do but offer suggestions. but these suggestions come from users not using a vpn, so the first thing you need to do is identify what you need
a DNS change mat solve it but there may now be issues with setting up a local DNS while the vpn tries to maintain it's own.

here's an example. go here https://iknowwhatyoudownload.com/ you will be given a list of stuff downloaded with your current ip address. you will notice if using a vpn that these are not files you downloaded but belong to a group of users sharing and recycling the same ip.

if indeed a kernel update made some kind of a difference, now comes into play your current linux mint instalation. use timeshift and restore it before the update.

Return to “Newbie Questions”