(Solved) Saving large file on external HDD halts, what will happen if I use rsync?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pat J Jutras
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Saving large file on external HDD halts, what will happen if I use rsync?

Post by Pat J Jutras »

Hello everyone,

My mother has now adopted Linux Mint 19.3 cinnamon. I went back to W10 to save all of her files onto an external HDD, just to be certain. I have to say that each OS is on a different SSD and all her documents are on an internal HDD. I was always wondering how to make backups without saving everything over and over again (this has happen which make many duplicates). I ended up copying all her HDD onto my own external HDD via USB 2.0. It took about 15 hours. Sometime, late in the process, it halted and a file has caused this to happen. There was a pop up message waiting for a decision to be made. Unfortunately I didn't take note of this file and on top of that I clicked that if more occurred to just ignored it.

Now we are back on Mint and I want to use rsync to make the backup on her own new external HDD 1Tb. Because of the error that happened while copying I wonder what will happen if the process encounters this type of problem.

I did some search and the closes was: ' mindwave Level 1 Posts: 14 Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:39 pm ass file copies stall a lot going to USB'.

Sorry, I don't know how to quote another post.

I will wait to have some advice before proceeding.

Thank you.

Pat.
Last edited by Pat J Jutras on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Saving large file on external HDD halts, what will happen if I use rsync?

Post by jglen490 »

I use rsync very successfully to backups. The process is easy, and with Mint there is a GUI for rsync called Grsync. Based on your description of your process, I'm not quite sure if your wanting to restore files to your Mom's drive, or if you are making a separate backup from your Mom's Mint drive.

15 hours? That's a lot of files!!
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB
squiggles3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squiggles3 »

I wonder if it was a disk format issue? I've had issues before when using FAT32 which is the easiest disk format to use between Windows and Linux but it has the 4GB file size limitation. Any singular file 4GB or larger just cannot be copied and gives an error. At the time I had these issues it was a big pain to get NTFS or ExFat working on Linux but this may not be any hassle these days.

Rsync should work great for you but I would recommend using a disk format other than FAT32.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Format the target drive to NTFS and it should allow you to copy very large files with no trouble.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
Pat J Jutras
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pat J Jutras »

Hello,

I was able to run rsync, it went quite smoothly and lasted only a few hours. The external HDD is formatted in NTFS.

I was nervous that I could erase the files in the process.

I followed the steps from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ9-_O9t814&t=619s

I took down the final lines of the process: 119 621 939 590 bytes; received 2 172 316 bytes; 17 957 460.70 bytes/sec; Total size is: 199 565 543 116; speedup is 1.00.

I hope this will be helpful if ever anyone wants to us the process. Make life so much easier when backups need to be made.

Thank you to you all who posted.

Return to “Newbie Questions”