<Solved> How to lock system tray in place

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
morelia1976
Level 1
Level 1

<Solved> How to lock system tray in place

Post by morelia1976 »

Sorry, I am completely new to Linux, having decided I don't want to convert to Windows 10.
I was following a How-to on helping Mint XFCE 19.3 look like XP when I somehow unlocked my system tray. It now moves to the left of the panel depending on how many apps I have open; multiple internet searches have not given any answers.
screenshot1.png
screenshot2.png
You can see the difference in these screenshots. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Last edited by morelia1976 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrEen
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to lock system tray in place

Post by MrEen »

Hi morelia1976, and welcome to the forum.

Right click on the bar in front of the bell icon and choose Properties. Now click on the check box for Expand and I think that'll fix you.

It's up to, you can also make that bar invisible by selecting Transparent for the Style.

ZFR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ZFR »

Yo. I started using Mint couple of days ago for the very same reason (rather than switching to Win 10). I use Cinnamon, but tried xfce for a couple of hours so happy to help since I ran into the same issue.

Right click to the left of the systray in the small empty area between it and the launchers. You'll know you've hit the right spot if it says "Separator" on top. Then click properties and tick "Expand".

EDIT: Looks like MrEen beat me to the answer.

morelia1976
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morelia1976 »

Thank you both for your quick replies, that has fixed the problem, though the separator now sits in the panel bar. I can live with it for now. I'm considering trying out Zorin OS as well, still trying to work out what exactly are the differences in the Linux distros.

Again, thanks for the speedy help!

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: <Solved> How to lock system tray in place

Post by AZgl1500 »

as you are very new to Linux,
I think that if you will try out the Cinnamon desktop, you will be much happier.

it is the Linux "look alike" to WinXP only improved a bunch.

I am using 19.3 Cinnamon and the image below will show how much you can change the look of the "Panel" as it is called in Linux.... we used to call it the "Task Bar"

going from Left to Right, are: LinuxMenu, PCManFM ( a file manager ), Ted ( text editor ),
Terminal, Timeshift, System Settings, Screenshot, GIMP, Firefox.
The things on the right side of the page are, from L to R:
FF tab open, AnyDesk, Bluetooth, Nividia, Printers, WiFi, Sound, battery, and time of course..

Click on that image and it goes full screen.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

morelia1976
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <Solved> How to lock system tray in place

Post by morelia1976 »

Thanks for the recommendation; I can't remember why I went with XFCE, but I want to play around with a few different distros/desktops on my laptop before I install one on my PC, which will be used mainly for grad school and occasional gaming. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Return to “Newbie Questions”