anti virus for linux?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chopsui101
Level 1
Level 1

anti virus for linux?

Post by chopsui101 »

Curious question, i read a lot of ppl don't use virus or malware protection on linux. Is it b/c so few people use linux machines that its not needed that most of the virus's .exe? Is there a way to stop RATS or other phishing types of attacks aimed at linux?

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Re: anti virus for linux?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Everything you always wanted to know about anti-virus and were unafraid to ask...Happy reading...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID1.1

search.php?keywords=anti-virus
ORDO AB CHAO

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

chopsui101 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:28 pm
Curious question, i read a lot of ppl don't use virus or malware protection on linux. Is it b/c so few people use linux machines that its not needed that most of the virus's .exe? Is there a way to stop RATS or other phishing types of attacks aimed at linux?
Linux has a much smaller attack surface than Windows. There are linux trojans and viruses out there but they are aimed at exploiting holes in servers, such as those with an SQL database that is vulnerable. There have also been attacks on Linux Mint with dodgy .iso downloads. Verifying the .iso's hash against the official, published hash, not the hash from the server you downloaded the .iso from, is always recommended.

In the https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com link that you've been given, there is some disinformation that needs to be corrected. This is one example:
Or in case it's malware ( a script) that can execute itself in your home directory without password: you'll have to make it executable first. Any script that you download, is not executable: you have to set the executable bit of the script yourself, by hand.
That is absolutely false in various scenarios. You may have downloaded the script in an archive and the compressed script may be executable, so it's just wrong. I would never run a Windows system without an AV of some sort but I know I don't need one on linux because of my habits. There was, at one point, a time when you could not connect Windows XP to the internet without first patching it or you'd get infected within 30 seconds of connecting to the www.

I also take issue with the comments under the heading "False sense of security". If installing an AV improves your confidence then there is no harm in installing one. It's neither here nor there if someone says it gives a false sense of security, even if it is true.

Adding a ppa or other repository to your software sources always requires that you place a level of trust in the repository. In all cases, it's caveat emptor. As for me, I use quite a number of unofficial software repositories. I'll trust them once, and I always have a backup. It all just requires commonsense, and what's commonsense for you may not be for someone else, but that's their problem, not yours.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Well, I think i will just wait to see if this catches "Pjotr's" eye and I am sure he will let us know if he is mistaken or maybe he knows more of what he speaks of than the average user shall ever know...its his blogsite so we will see...personally, I cant wait...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:14 pm
Well, I think i will just wait to see if this catches "Pjotr's" eye and I am sure he will let us know if he is mistaken or maybe he knows more of what he speaks of than the average user shall ever know...its his blogsite so we will see...personally, I cant wait...DAMIEN
If it is true that a compressed script may be executable when extracted from an archive then there is no debate. As for the the other point about it being neither here nor there if someone prefers to have a false sense of security then that is a personal matter to be decided only by the individual to whom it pertains. In both cases there is no debate. Good luck with the waiting though.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:25 pm
If it is true that a compressed script may be executable when extracted from an archive then there is no debate.
Indeed true. I'll modify my online article to incorporate that exception. Thanks for the alert. This minor nuance doesn't alter my general advice about AV though: in desktop Linux, it's both unnecessary and harmful.
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:25 pm
As for the the other point about it being neither here nor there if someone prefers to have a false sense of security then that is a personal matter to be decided only by the individual to whom it pertains. In both cases there is no debate.
In my article I explained the wrongness of a false sense of security with this motivation:
Furthermore, antivirus software gives you a false sense of security, which might make you less cautious about installing software from external sources.
Care to address that motivation, instead of just stating that people have the right to feel the way they want to feel?
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Swissybear1957
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Swissybear1957 »

Is Linux virus-free?

For the most part, yes, but that doesn’t mean you should be complacent. In 2016 the 17.3 Cinnamon version of Linux Mint was found to have a keylogger infection included if users had downloaded it from Mint’s own download page.

This was due to hackers changing a PHP script in a WordPress installation that the Mint project used. The hack was quickly fixed, but only after usernames, passwords, message and posts were all compromised.

Compared to Windows, or even the Mac, Linux is relatively safe, but as with any device connected to the internet caution is required.

stephanieswitzer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stephanieswitzer »

I think that complacency is the hackers best friend, as many corporations have discovered. We all need to be careful of how we interact with our systems. We know how easy it is for hackers to slip malicious code into even the most innocuous emails or text messages. Stay vigilant.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

User manipulation is a LOT more lucrative for scammers than any virus can be. Resident virii and malware is not impossible in Linux, but the impact is generally going to be contained and limited in impact. The social engineering that comes to you via email and website links, those are the moneymakers for scammers.

Keep your system and applications up to date with security patches and all other updates. then practice "safe computing". Be a skeptic. If an email promises the moon and stars - run. If a link on a site - especially one that you know nothing about - doesn't look right, and if it doesn't match what shows when hovering - get out. Oh, yeah, be a skeptic - it'll save your butt and everything else.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Return to “Newbie Questions”