Transfer notes from Tomboy to Gnote

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lantrung246a
Level 1
Level 1

Transfer notes from Tomboy to Gnote

Post by lantrung246a »

I have a lot of notes taken with Tomboy over the years and I actually preferred it to Gnote because of the HTML export feature. Since Mint 19.3 is not including Tomboy anymore I thought I should transfer my notes over. Looking around Gnote I found the "Tomboy Importer" plugin. There is no intuitive method that I found to actually use the plugin. I found the wiki page for Gnote and the Gnome wiki page and neither of them mention how to use the plugins. I enable the plugin and... what else am I supposed to do?

Now for someone who's been using Linux for a long time I simply pulled up the terminal and copied all the files from

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Transfer notes from Tomboy to Gnote

Post by rickNS »

Funny, I was curious about the same thing, went ahead and installed Gnote anyway...guess what...it automatically imported tomboy notes all by itself.

That said, I'm using it now, but still making copies in tomboy as well, I haven't made up my mind which one I want to go forward with, Tomboy has more features, it's not just the tray thing, there's the linking in tomboy, and more...

You know what I dislike about both of these note apps, Tomboy, and Gnote ? It's the sort order, it's like last modified, and when you have a bunch of notes it makes finding one, not so easy.
So I looked a little further into it, I'm looking at Noblenote, it's in the repos, and it keeps it's notes in alphabetical order! The sensible way IMO, anyway I got bigger worries just now.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Return to “Newbie Questions”