Karaoki with recording (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jukeboxmike
Level 2
Level 2

Karaoki with recording (SOLVED)

Post by jukeboxmike »

Hi all.
Does anybody know of anything that can be used in Linux mint to play an mp4 file which has backing music and lyrics and at the same time record the lyrics via microphone?
I have set up Audacity with the ability to insert the audio backing and then record the vocals via microphone on an additional track. the only downside with this is not being able to view the lyrics. To do that would mean having another window open to play the mp4. All a bit hit and miss when it comes to syncronizing all of the operations.
I know that programs exist for Windows (and Mac) which are in essence a recording karioki machine, but I really do not want to go back to using Windows or run Wine or similar.
The laptop being used is brand new and now has Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit running on it very well as a standalone OS. The USB microphone works without any problems.
Any ideas?

jukeboxmike
Last edited by jukeboxmike on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Karaoki with recording

Post by kukamuumuka »

Maybe if opening outputs using command pactl load-module module-loopback and then singing using PyKaraoke and recording using Audio Recoder.

To stop loopback, run killall pulseaudio

PS. A lot of karaoke songs are available in PClinuxos´ package (extract first) :wink:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/26 ... 12.src.rpm

jukeboxmike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jukeboxmike »

Hi and thanks for your suggestion.
I don't think it will work because my friend who's laptop I am setting up would not be able to handle commands. What she needs is some sort of program that I can install and she can open and use.

Thanks again.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Try searching in the software manager for 'karaoke'. Correct spelling will get you beter results.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

jukeboxmike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jukeboxmike »

I have a look at what is available through software manager (with correct spelling) but unfortunately there is nothing which will allow the recording and saving of the finished file. Maybe I am looking for the impossible.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

you're not being clear as to what you want. i see suggestions being thrown around because you have not specified what you want.
if you want to record a singer using the microphone while watching an .mp4 with karaoke the only thing you'll need is audiorecorder but don't know why you mention syncing. audio recorder has a special option to record sounds you hear from speakers as well as including line inputs and microphones.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Actually the OP is being clear enough, it's not hard to find WIn/Mac software that does what he wants on a quick search.

But there does not seem to any Linux equivalents.

jukeboxmike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jukeboxmike »

Hi again.
Yes, Hoser Rob has got to grips with what I am after, but it looks like he agrees with me in that it is not easy to find a Linux based program, only Windows.

I think trytrip has got the wrong idea.

jukeboxmike
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Karaoki with recording (SOLVED)

Post by jukeboxmike »

Hi all.
It looks like we have managed to get things working in Audacity after all. Just a matter of juggling with a few settings.

Thanks.

Return to “Newbie Questions”