cannot install linux mint cinnamon 19.3 on my blank HDD HELP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tonoth
Level 1
Level 1

cannot install linux mint cinnamon 19.3 on my blank HDD HELP

Post by tonoth »

I have downloaded and verified my copy of linux re the installation guide.
after the part where i select to download third party drivers the next screen is not the same as the one
in the installation guide.
i cant find my HDD(blank) in the partition list?
perhaps I am partitioning wrong? Please advise.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: cannot install linux mint cinnamon 19.3 on my blank HDD HELP

Post by JoeFootball »

tonoth wrote: after the part where i select to download third party drivers the next screen is not the same as the one
in the installation guide.
i cant find my HDD(blank) in the partition list?
perhaps I am partitioning wrong? Please advise.
How "blank" is this hard drive? Does it have a partition table? If yes, what kind? Does it have any partitions on it? Are they formatted to any particular file system?

The live session of Linux Mint should have GParted on it, which could help getting the drive ready for installation.

EDIT: Beginner Geek: Hard Disk Partitions Explained

tonoth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tonoth »

i formatted with windows, long format, and then in mint off off the usb drive i used Gparted to remove the partitions that were on the drive and then formatted the drive to ext4, then when I tried to install it would not see the dev/sda hdd...

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

tonoth wrote: i formatted with windows, long format, and then in mint off off the usb drive i used Gparted to remove the partitions that were on the drive and then formatted the drive to ext4, then when I tried to install it would not see the dev/sda hdd...
Given that you were able to use GParted to do all that, the hard drive is accessible, but the installer isn't seeing it. :?
tonoth wrote: after the part where i select to download third party drivers the next screen is not the same as the one in the installation guide.
Could you provide more information here as to what the next screen is that you're seeing? Better yet, could you provide a screenshot?

Return to “Newbie Questions”