Need help verifiying ISO for 19.3 on Linux Computer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
menhir
Level 2
Level 2

Need help verifiying ISO for 19.3 on Linux Computer

Post by menhir »

I'm not a newbie...I've used Mint on all my office computers for years and most of my home computers...reserving Windows 7 for a few applications I need for my business, like Quickbooks. I've come here for answers before, so here I am again.

I'm converting all my computers now to Linux now with the end-of-life of Windows 7 and not wanting to bother with Windows 10...
But it's been a long time since I actually installed a new version of Linux. I've never had trouble before but this time (upgrading from an 18 installation to 19.3) I'm having a brain fart and just can't get past the verification of the ISO.

I would like to install to each computer from a USB stick. Here's what I've done so far:

My computer, now running Mint 18, is cleaned out. Everything is backed up on another computer. Nothing left to lose.
I downloaded the ISO file into a folder named ISO on the desktop.
I've also downloaded the two text files, sha256sum.txt and sha256sum.txt.gpg into the same folder.
I was instructed to run three commands...
cd (nothing happens) then
cd ISO response: bash: cd: ISO: No such file or directory
sha256sum -b *.iso I never get past the previous command

I've searched for a solution but either I'm coming up with instructions on how to do this on a windows computer, or I'm coming up with answers that assume at some important point that I know stuff I don't know - and get stuck there Any help would be appreciated.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Need help verifiying ISO for 19.3 on Linux Computer

Post by JoeFootball »

You said you put the file into a directory on your Desktop, where the directions say to put it in your Home directory. So, you're not where the file is when you're trying to verify it, hence it's not working.

Try cd Desktop/ISO instead.

How to verify ISO images

menhir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by menhir »

I just knew it was going to be something simple. :roll:

Everything checked out. Onward, then.

Thank you. 8)

Up until now, I've been using Mint on an "as long as I can get it to do what I need it to do" basis, but after accomplishing those needful things I've had very little time to really explore how it works. Now that I have more time on my hands (I retired not long ago), I'll be getting around to that.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

menhir wrote: Thank you. 8)

Up until now, I've been using Mint on an "as long as I can get it to do what I need it to do" basis, but after accomplishing those needful things I've had very little time to really explore how it works. Now that I have more time on my hands (I retired not long ago), I'll be getting around to that.
You're welcome, and I'm glad it was such an easy resolution. :) The best way to learn Linux is to just use it. Also, leverage the users and history here on the forums. And I find the Easy Linux Tips Project to be a wealth of knowledge.

And while you certainly don't need to know the Linux command line to use Linux Mint, I find the Terminal to be a powerful way to get things done efficiently. If you have such an interest, I can recommend The Linux Command Line book (it's available for free as a PDF), as well as its companion website LinuxCommand.org. Both are quite educational.

Carry on!

Return to “Newbie Questions”