Lagging videos

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fsc
Level 1
Level 1

Lagging videos

Post by fsc »

Hi everyone!
I'm new here as I installed Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on my Dell XPS-13 9370 (4k screen with Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620, i7 8th gen) only a few months ago. I'm satisfied with Linux, and I am happy to have uninstalled Windows for many reasons. One of the few flaws I noticed, anyway, is the lagging video playback. Videos had normal speed and virtually no lag with Windows - their only interruptions were due to my slow European internet connection. Now neither videos viewed in the browser, nor .avi and .mkv downloaded videos, have decent framerate - at least their speed and synchronisation with audio are normal, but watching a film is becoming a torture.
Not only video playback shows lag and turns on the ventilation system, but programs like LibreOffice, or big .pdf files, do that as well; while anyway this is tolerable, since I don't use them much, my main problem is with videos now.
I suppose I should give you more information: tell me how to do it and I'll answer as soon as I can.
Thanks in advance for your answers!

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Lagging videos

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

If your running INTEL CPU and INTEL graphics only then apply the following:

Stop Screen Tearing: INTEL PROCESSORS ONLY!!!

DO THIS FIRST>>>Test sreen tearing as a before and after using this site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... xkNy9gfKOg

If your not seeing perfectly straight lines and they wig/wag or whatever, you have screen tearing and we need to fix this first.

If indeed your seeing weird crap going on with those black bar lines, then proceed to these next steps:

Open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
Then

sudo mkdir -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
Then:

echo -e 'Section "Device"\n Identifier "Intel Graphics"\n Driver "Intel"\n Option "AccelMethod" "sna"\n Option "TearFree" "true"\nEndSection' | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
Now REBOOT to pick up the changes. It's IMPORTANT that you reboot to apply the changes.

I also use MPV player and set it as a default video player since it is resource friendly.

sudo apt install mpv
Check back to let all of us know if this solves the problems...DAMIEN

To UNDO if this does not solve the problem:

Open a terminal and run:

sudo rm -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Now REBOOT.
ORDO AB CHAO

fsc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fsc »

Thanks, it seems to have worked for videos!! I'll let you know if there are issues about that; the only thing I can see now is that tearing has not disappeared (I still see some weird lines in your YouTube video), though it has definitely improved. I still experience lag in large .pdf and .epub documents (this is ok after all) and in LibreOffice programs (this is less ok). Thanks for your help and for any other advice about these issues.
Byeeee

fsc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fsc »

After having done some rudimental experiments, I noticed that heavy lag and slight tearing persist, even when CPU and graphics are involved in just one process, e.g. watching a video or even using LibreOffice. Is there anything else I can do to improve this situation?

Return to “Newbie Questions”