[Solved] PPA Question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

[Solved] PPA Question

Post by LanceM »

Cinnamon 19.3 Requesting information on this
PPA.jpg
Why are there two for each PPA, and why don't they have checkmarks in (sources)?
Last edited by LanceM on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: PPA Question

Post by JoeFootball »

blueocean wrote: Why are there two for each PPA, and why don't they have checkmarks in (sources)?
I would suspect because most people don't want the sources, so why default them to download, where they'd use unnecessary bandwidth, and disk space on the receiving end.

Joe

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

So this is the correct default configuration? Can't remember noticing before.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

blueocean wrote: So this is the correct default configuration? Can't remember noticing before.
I think it depends on how the PPA is setup, but I would suspect that this would be a common method for PPAs which offer their sources as well.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

JoeFootball wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:50 pm
blueocean wrote: So this is the correct default configuration? Can't remember noticing before.
I think it depends on how the PPA is setup, but I would suspect that this would be a common method for PPAs which offer their sources as well.
PPAs always offer their sources (although their sources can be binary, as confusing as that may sound - the final .deb package is always built at launchpad.net directly, no matter the contents).

The rest is mainly a question of presentation, e.g. users of my PPA only get a single row per PPA:

Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:24 pm

PPAs always offer their sources (although their sources can be binary, as confusing as that may sound - the final .deb package is always built at launchpad.net directly, no matter the contents).

The rest is mainly a question of presentation, e.g. users of my PPA only get a single row per PPA:

So is there ever a reason to put the checkmark in Sources?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

blueocean wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:41 pm
So is there ever a reason to put the checkmark in Sources?
There are quite a few, but for the average user wanting nothing but to use the software: no, just leave it disabled.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

Thanks. Will mark as solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”