Mint 19.3 EOL

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AidFHonda
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.3 EOL

Post by AidFHonda »

I know that this is a long way's off (in computer years), but I know that eventually I will need to upgrade my version of Mint. How different is that from, say, upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Besides being free of course.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint 19.3 EOL

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

EOL is expected to be in April of 2023...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Konaan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Konaan »

Speaking for myself, but going from 19.2 to 19.3 was a very simple process. Can do it through the Update Manager or "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". It handles the rest. When I did my upgrade there were a few small things I had to fix, but it literally walked me through the conflicts. Was my first time upgrading Mint. I had upgraded Ubuntu a number of times and those were very easy too.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

AidFHonda wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:59 pm
I know that this is a long way's off (in computer years), but I know that eventually I will need to upgrade my version of Mint. How different is that from, say, upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Besides being free of course.
I've never done that so I can't compare.

There are several ways to upgrade from Mint 18.x to 19.x; there probably will be similar ways to upgrade to Mint 20. My preferred method is a new installation, while keeping the complete /home intact so all settings are carried over. This means I will need to reinstall my software, which is not a problem and which would probably have been needed anyway.
Note that /home is a separate partition, not a directory inside /. That's the way I installed it, mostly because this is my preferred way of upgrading.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Konaan wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:35 pm
Speaking for myself, but going from 19.2 to 19.3 was a very simple process.
It was. Upgrading to Mint 20 will most likely be more involved.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

Going from an LTS base to another LTS base is USUALLY best, or most reliably done with a clean install.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

AidFHonda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AidFHonda »

Thanks for the input! I'll be sure to store important stuff on my old Windows drive or my new 4TB drive (not the M.2 drive I boot from).

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

by the time you need to upgrade, you will probably have a need to replace the disk with a bigger disk or make some other changes. A clean install of a later release will often work better than an upgrade. You get a chance to change partitions and clean out all the apps you installed then forgot because you really do not need 25 text editors to edit your shopping list.

The last time I used an LTS to the bitter end was an attempt to keep XP working because nobody wants Vista.

Return to “Newbie Questions”