[SOLVED] Update not found (but I'm using Cinnamon 19.2!)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fsc
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Update not found (but I'm using Cinnamon 19.2!)

Post by fsc »

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on my Dell XPS-13 9370. I installed Linux for the first time two months ago, before Cinnamon 19.3 was released; I now would like to update to 19.3, but I'm encountering some problems. When I open Update Manager, it says my system is up-to-date, and when I search for updates it finds nothing.
I don't know if this is a separate problem (in this case tell me if I have to create a new topic), but I noticed that if I try to open Software Sources, it asks for my password, but when I insert it nothing happens, and it won't open.
I'm sorry if my question is strange; if you need more information tell me what to do.
Thanks!
Last edited by fsc on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Update not found (but I'm using Cinnamon 19.2!)

Post by kc1di »

Hi,
You may find this blog post helpful. It should allow you to upgrade to 19.3 (I would note this will not upgrade the kernel series but you can do that later if you want or need to.)
Here's the post https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3838
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

fsc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fsc »

Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately I read that page some time ago, and my problem is that my Update Manager cannot find Mint 19.3 (it says I'm up-to-date while I am not); so when I open Edit menu, I have no line saying "Upgrade to Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia"

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi,fsc.

In Update Manager click on the [Edit] menu. The last item in the list shoudl read [Upgrade System to Linux Mint 19.3].
The reason that the upgrade from LM 19.2 to 19.3 is not simply offered in the same list as all other updated software packages is:
You are not forced to upgrade.
Users should decide if and when they want to do it.
It should not just "slip through" together with normal software updates.

So click on [Edit] and see whether the last item reads [Upgrade System to Linux Mint 19.3].

Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

fsc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fsc »

Thanks for your answers, but my problem was another one: it seems my sources list was deleted, and thus I could neither install new programs, nor upgrade; in this viewtopic.php?f=90&t=309528 topic I solved it. My problem was just that in the Edit menu there was no fourth option, but now it appears.
Thanks anyway!

Return to “Newbie Questions”