[SOLVED] In 2020, is it still advisable to NOT install multiple desktop environments?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] In 2020, is it still advisable to NOT install multiple desktop environments?

Post by tgm1024 »

This was an older thread that a moderator suggested I start anew. I'll just list stuff to make it less TL;DR-y.

1. I know that installing multiple DE's has traditionally been wonky. I've encountered this myself in the past.
2. #1 is often attributed to the sometimes-unnecessarily "deeply installed" parts of the DE. Much of the time it is hard or impossible for the DE designer to avoid.
3. To what extent is this still the case in 2020?

PS. Please don't confuse this with multiple boots. Also, most already know about multiple VM's being a "solution".

Thanks!
Last edited by tgm1024 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Believe it or not, the sentence "What we've got here is a failure to communicate." never appears in the movie Cool Hand Luke. If you don't believe me, check here. :)

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: In 2020, is it still advisable to NOT install multiple desktop environments?

Post by JoeFootball »

tgm1024 wrote: 1. I know that installing multiple DE's has traditionally been wonky. I've encountered this myself in the past.
2. #1 is often attributed to the sometimes-unnecessarily "deeply installed" parts of the DE. Much of the time it is hard or impossible for the DE designer to avoid.
I'm sure you'll get differing opinions on this, but speaking for myself, I won't ever be doing so on any of my deployments. I've seen too many issues, and I don't think it's reasonable to assume any desktop's dev team to have the foresight to design their product to seamlessly integrate with every other desktop.

That said, I'm sure there are success stories out there as well, so if you do decide to give it a try, I would definitely recommend having a fallback plan.

EDIT: How to Install and Use Another Desktop Environment on Linux

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Re: In 2020, is it still advisable to NOT install multiple desktop environments?

Post by kc1di »

In general it's still a iffy thing in 2020. There are always some interaction between too installed desktops. Not to mention duplicate programs/package installed. If you are serious about finding which DE suits you best play with the live sessions for awhile or install Virtual box and install the other DE there.
Once you determine which once suits your needs install that one. MHO.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

JoeFootball wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:12 pm
tgm1024 wrote: 1. I know that installing multiple DE's has traditionally been wonky. I've encountered this myself in the past.
I'm sure you'll get differing opinions on this, but speaking for myself, I won't ever be doing so on any of my deployments. I've seen too many issues, and I don't think it's reasonable to assume any desktop's dev team to have the foresight to design their product to seamlessly integrate with every other desktop.

That said, I'm sure there are success stories out there as well, so if you do decide to give it a try, I would definitely recommend having a fallback plan.

EDIT: How to Install and Use Another Desktop Environment on Linux
Yeah, there's no way that I'm not going to back up everything before attempting this again.
Believe it or not, the sentence "What we've got here is a failure to communicate." never appears in the movie Cool Hand Luke. If you don't believe me, check here. :)

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

[...]
JoeFootball wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:12 pm
and I don't think it's reasonable to assume any desktop's dev team to have the foresight to design their product to seamlessly integrate with every other desktop.
Perhaps, but it's also not unreasonable to wonder if there popped up a facility in the last few years to keep all the DE's one layer abstracted from the lower level apps that DE developers are now following. Specifically to prevent swordfighting between them and accidentally clobbering things.

The seeming success of one DE per login for instance seems to indicate that there's quite a bit already local only to /home/red-shirt. And of course even gamers are aware of such functional partitioning with MinecraftForge. Whatever.

Bottom line though sounds as if there's just not enough protection to "count on".

Thanks All!

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

..........how do I mark a post as the answer? Or is it thread/only with renaming the subject to [solved] (or similar)?

sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

The only time I've never had a problem with that is by installing Debian with the net install iso and choosing all the different DE's at install. I did that for my old laptop and so far so good.

xenopeeks advise is also one to follow. you won't have any problems with that.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

In a far away past I installed Mint 16 Cinnamon and added xfce to it [1] and had no problems resulting from this double DE setup. :)
When Mint 17 was released, I did a fresh installation of Mint 17 Cinnamon and added xfce to it and had no problems resulting from this double DE setup.
And I did use both under my own user account. :)
Mint 17 Cinnamon + xfce got in-place upgraded to Mint 17.1 Cinnamon + xfce through Mint Update Manager. Neither UM, nor me had any problems, because 2 DE's were present on the system. :D
This Mint 17.1 Cinnamon + xfce survived till Sept. 2018 without causing any problems, just because Cinnamon and xfce were present on the system and used.
This double DE system even survived the in-place upgrade from Mint 17.1 to 19. [2] :shock:

About potentially double application entries in the application menu:
This was still an issue on Mint 16, because quite a few DE specific .desktop files (menu launchers) were still missing entries like "OnlyShowIn=XFCE;".
On later Mint releases, the number of such DE specific .desktop files, where the "OnlyShowIN=" parameter was missing, seems to have dropped drastically.

I guess I must have committed some serious mistakes, because my Mint Cinnamon +xfce has never given me any headache, although I used both DE's interchangeably. :?

Cheers,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed a statement, may re-add if I retrieve the needed post to support, else forget it.
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

I've always had multiple desktop environment's installed, never had a problem. YMMV.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

tgm1024 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Or is it thread/only with renaming the subject to [solved] (or similar)?
Much like that, yes. Adding [SOLVED] to the subject of the first post is how we do it here. Sorry, there's nothing automatic.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

4Orbs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 4Orbs »

If it strikes my fancy at any given moment I won't hesitate to install a second or third desktop environment. Even if it becomes a disaster, a fresh install is only twenty minutes away. Distro hopping is a casual hobby for me, so messing with the system is just part of the fun. Sometimes more fun than a video game. I always have an alternate openbox session installed along with the mainstream DE. Most often XFCE plus openbox. Also have no problem when running apps of different bases on the same system, QT and GTK play well together in my case. Hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that.
Desktop: Intel i5 4590, ram 8 gb 1600 DDR3, Samsung 830 SSD 128 gb, storage-platters WD Black 1tb, WD Blue 1 tb. NVIDIA GTX 760. Folgers Coffee.

jglen490
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] In 2020, is it still advisable to NOT install multiple desktop environments?

Post by jglen490 »

In my opinion, multiple desktop environments do not add anything to your computing experience. While it's not impossible to move from one to another, it's rather pointless and time consuming. They each, also, drag in a lot of related files/libraries/configs that take space, and depending on how you switch among DEs, can leave active but unused processes in the mix.

Again, in my opinion, the calendar doesn't matter, it's just not worth it at any time.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Return to “Newbie Questions”