[SOLVED] ITV Hub Player

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] ITV Hub Player

Post by oldbob »

Not sure where to put this, so decided here as we're both (wife and me) very very new to Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

This is a question directed mainly at the UK users, but others comments are more than welcome.

My wife enjoys watching Dancing on Ice which airs on ITV, and she also likes to watch it via her laptop and the ITV Hub. She says she likes that she can pause the live program to make pit stops and to make a brew. She used to watch it on her Win10 laptop via google and all was well, it also plays on our cheap Samsung Galaxy Tab thingy.

Since we changed to Linux Mint, she hasn't been able to watch it, she uses Firefox browser and all settings are correct. She can watch BBC iplayer, channel 4 and 5 players also without problems.

The problem is... 'play protected content' in chrome, or 'Play DRM-controlled content' in firefox, these have been checked to use in the updated settings menu.

I installed Brave browser to try that, same problem, tried chrome, same problem, tried chromium, again the same problem.

I know this is a long-shot and I may be very wrong, but does Linux Mint Cinnamon or Linux in general, have a problem with accessing the ITV Hub player or am I missing some kind of settings somewhere in Linux?

Any help very welcome, it'll give me some peace at least ;).

Bob
Last edited by oldbob on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Re: ITV Hub Player

Post by AndyMH »

All I can do is confirm that it won't work with chrome running in LM19 even when protected content is on.

Unless someone can come up with a better idea, if this is a 'must have' then install win in a VM (virtualbox) and run chrome in that. Just tested this in my win7 VM and it does work.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Thanks AndyMH,

she laughed when I suggested watching it in a VM, she said hell will freeze over before that happens, and why would she want to go backwards by using windows again after using Linux Mint... fair point really.

She asked me to thank you for your suggestion and for being kind enough to 'try it yourself', it isn't a deal breaker as she can watch it on the TV while I make the brews and she does her pit stops during the adverts. She does have one alternative, and that's to watch it on her 6mth old win10 laptop which she hate's with a passion.

Apparently she's not the only one who can't watch it via a Linux system, she did a search and there's a couple of others who've got the same problem with Linux. I'm wondering if its something to do with Unix style systems and ITV? Is Linux Unix?
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

I like her style :D

Yes, linux is unix if you go back far enough. To be pedantic, linux = kernel and what you look at is GNU + linux, where GNU is everything else bolted on top of the kernel. Linux has always had problems with DRM, some solved, some not. Couldn't watch amazon prime in chromium, but it's fine with chrome under linux?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Tomita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tomita »

I have been having same problem. This post (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1203654 ... untu-19-10) in Ask Ubuntu, may give us some clues as to what may be the cause, but no solutions.
I am a bear of very little brain but trying every day to do better
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Thanks for the reply Tomita, from reading that Ask Ubuntu post, it looks like the problems have only just started as all was fine back in late Dec.

I've contacted ITV via their Customer Support about this, as yet no reply... then again, I don't expect one 'yet'... I'll post here if I do get one though good or bad.
Tomita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tomita »

Thank you so much oldbob :)
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

As promised, the reply from ITV re- their hub player.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for contacting ITV Hub.

Our technical team are currently investigating this issue on Linux, as it seems that a recent update has caused this problem.

They are working to have this fixed as soon as possible, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Joe
ITV Viewer Support
Tomita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tomita »

Thanks once again for the update. Good to see they are trying to resolve the issue. Please update this topic if you get any more info. I'll try ITV occasionally to see if anything has changed.

Regards. :D
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

No worries, and I will if any more come in.

:wink:
youngfred
Level 1
Level 1

Post by youngfred »

Pleased I've found someone else with this problem . I've had the oops box a few times in the past but usualy manage to get it working until about 3 weeks since I put an itv3 film on it played ok up to the first ad break after the ads oops box appeared nothing since . I'll write to ITV as well they're bound to fix it with a second complaint :D
Davent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Davent »

I am having exactly the same problem. ITV Hub has the DRM issue in LInux Cinnamon 19.3 in both firefox and Chrome. I'm sure it used to work several months ago but not now. No problem with BBC and the other channels, it's just ITV. I have complained by email, and have just received this reply copied and pasted :-
itv hub Broke
Inbox

itvhubhelp@itv.com
10:52 (10 hours ago)
to me

Hi David,

Thank you for your email.

Our technical team are aware of this issue and are working to resolve with DRM content via our website.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused in the meantime, they are hoping to have this fixed fairly soon now.

Many thanks

Chris

ITV Viewer Support
Hope this throws light on the situation. Fingers crossed, this might be fixed soon!! Regards to all, Davent.
Asus X556UA Laptop - Intel i7-7500U - 20Gb Ram - 2Tb + 4Tb SSD - Linux Mint 20 Ulyana - Dual Boot
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Good to see others reporting the problem, I was half tempted to fire up the win 10 laptop last Sunday to stop her complaining, but common sense got the better of me... needed a large Bourbon with ice after that to steady my nerves :D.
Tomita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tomita »

Thanks for the info oldbob. Complaint sent! :x
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Don't have this issue but searching gets some old links about using hal for DRM protected Flash but hal hasn't been updated since 2013. So forget that.

There is a reasonably new, similar package called hal-flash that purports to do the same thing and here's the ppa if anyone wants to try it (as always, if it tells you it wants to remove other libraries in the install process, I'd stop):

https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... /hal-flash
Davent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Davent »

I have found a temporary workaround until the situation resolves itself: https://tvplayer.com/watch/itv

This does not have DRM problems with Linux!!! Regards, Davent.
Asus X556UA Laptop - Intel i7-7500U - 20Gb Ram - 2Tb + 4Tb SSD - Linux Mint 20 Ulyana - Dual Boot
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I wonder if this is reated to the issues American users have been having with CBS content recently:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=309600
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:19 am
Don't have this issue but searching gets some old links about using hal for DRM protected Flash but hal hasn't been updated since 2013. So forget that.

There is a reasonably new, similar package called hal-flash that purports to do the same thing and here's the ppa if anyone wants to try it (as always, if it tells you it wants to remove other libraries in the install process, I'd stop):

https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... /hal-flash
Thanks for searching that out Hoser Rob, seeing as I'm still very new with Linux, and in the recent past had to re-install a few times due to 'tinkering', I've almost got my system setup how I like it so I've decided to let this suggestion go to someone who is more knowledgeable than me to give it a try.
Davent wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:14 am
I have found a temporary workaround until the situation resolves itself: https://tvplayer.com/watch/itv

Thanks Davent, I've just tried this and it works albeit a temporary fix, I'm hoping ITV will get their 'finger out' and fix the problem sooner rather than later. I now have a happy wife for awhile :lol:.
ZakGordon wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:46 am
I wonder if this is reated to the issues American users have been having with CBS content recently:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=309600
It could be, as what the OP is reporting on the error message "OOPS! We're having some trouble playing this video. Please try again. If you continue to experience issues, check your internet connection or restart your router. Need help? Visit our FAQ. Error Code: 1001", is the same as we were getting.
Davent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Davent »

oldbob wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 am
I now have a happy wife for awhile :lol:.
You've got to keep them happy. It's the only way to get a peaceful life!!! This TV Player is also handy if you don't have your program listings to hand, & also for flicking between channels. though it lacks the ability to watch any catchup. Davent.
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Davent wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:14 am

Oops, looks like I reported success too soon, she just tried watching live ITV1, it plays for a few minutes then stops with the message

"Could not load the manifest file. Make sure the source is set correctly and that CORS support is enabled"

Did a search on CORS and it's reported that it's automatically enabled in all modern browsers. Wife uses Firefox with all blockers disabled while watching TV. It's strange that this happens on ITV1, ITV2 and ITV4 live TV, but it lets ITV3 live TV play without problems.

She's like this now > :twisted:. Looks like another email to ITV support :(.

Return to “Newbie Questions”