[SOLVED] ITV Hub Player

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: ITV Hub Player

Post by Hoser Rob »

oldbob wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 am
... I'm still very new with Linux, and in the recent past had to re-install a few times due to 'tinkering', ....
That's exactly why I said to abort the install if it tells you it's going to remove/replace other software before letting it install. Those are libraries used by other programs, sometimes at OS level. Unlike in WIndows, you actually need to read those messages before finishing intalling software. ANd since there's not a lot backwards compatibility in Linux, it's a good way to break your OS if you aren;'t careful.

It's really so simple, I wish all those crap blogs (not pjotr's that's a good one) would bother to tell you about it.
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colski »

I just logged in to itvplayer to watch the Rugby and I can't access it either :-(

DRM box is ticked and for some reason it does not like it :-(

Back to windows to watch the Rugby? FFS....
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:32 am
oldbob wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 am
... I'm still very new with Linux, and in the recent past had to re-install a few times due to 'tinkering', ....
That's exactly why I said to abort the install if it tells you it's going to remove/replace other software before letting it install. Those are libraries used by other programs, sometimes at OS level. Unlike in WIndows, you actually need to read those messages before finishing intalling software. ANd since there's not a lot backwards compatibility in Linux, it's a good way to break your OS if you aren;'t careful.

It's really so simple, I wish all those crap blogs (not pjotr's that's a good one) would bother to tell you about it.
OK, I gave in and installed, it was painless as usual.

After the install and update, I re-booted, opened my browser and went to the tvplayer page. The only channel I couldn't get to work was ITV1, everything else plays without issue. This is definitely an ITV problem to which that have already admitted.

I am curious though as to why I can view the other ITV live TV channels but not the primary one ,oh and channel 4 keeps repeating itself every second or so. All other UK TV channels play fine.
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

This could be linked to the fairly recent problem that arose with "streamlink" which used to work for live streaming of all BBC TV channels and all of ITV's as well.

Then suddenly BBC stopped working completely for any of its channels, and ITV stopped for ITV1, though the other numbered ITV channels played fine.
All apparently related to DRM, though why they pick on Linux only I am not sure.
Rich J
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rich J »

Hi Bob - I've just picked up on this and one thing 'rang a bell' - Cinnamon. On some rigs, depending on hardware and configs etc., Cinnamon can behave a little 'quirky'. If you're wedded to Cinnamon, take a look here -

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID5 esp item 5.1

and follow the instructions to see if that improves things. Otherwise, consider installing the Mate Desktop Environment - I switched to Mate from Cinnamon a while ago as I was getting odd problems with TV viewing and weirdly, issues with logging in to my bank...... Switching to Mate solved them so I've stayed with it since.

Hope this helps,

Rich
Rich J
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Hi Rich,

first thing I did when I installed Cinnamon on all three machines was to use Pjotr's recommendations ;).

My rig is fairly high end, a i9 9900k, 16gb DDR4, GeForce GTX 970, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD plus 6.5tb storage all on a custom water loop. The wife's laptop is a 7yr old Sony Vaio core i5 2,5ghz with 8gb ram and on-board ati radeon graphics. She has no problems with any other UK TV channel apart from ITV, or any other browsing like YouTube etc.

ITV have admitted that due to a recent update, something went wrong and they're looking into it, so who knows when that'll happen.

Thanks for the heads-up though, it's appreciated.
heatonmoor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by heatonmoor »

Just signed up to stv.tv and watched Scotland vs Ireland on catch up. Good quality.
Back to ITV when they've fix their DRM issue.
It's NOT a Linux Mint fault (I'm on Gallium OS whilst away from home) and ITV fails in both Chrome and Firefox.
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

heatonmoor wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:11 am
Just signed up to stv.tv and watched Scotland vs Ireland on catch up. Good quality.
Back to ITV when they've fix their DRM issue.
It's NOT a Linux Mint fault (I'm on Gallium OS whilst away from home) and ITV fails in both Chrome and Firefox.
Thanks for the heads-up heatonmoor, I got her an account set up, used a Scot post code and she's quite happily watching it on her laptop without any issues.

I now have a happy wife again! :lol:
Davent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Davent »

oldbob wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pm
I got her an account set up, used a Scottish postcode.
Hi, STV also worked for me, put in correct details then changed to an EH1 xxx postcode and this was accepted, and got a brilliant ITV (STV) picture now. It has advantage of being in HD if you have hi res screen, it lets you pause, watch programs from the beginning and also lets you watch catchup. Nice one, Regards, Davent.
Asus X556UA Laptop - Intel i7-7500U - 20Gb Ram - 2Tb + 4Tb SSD - Linux Mint 20 Ulyana - Dual Boot
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED'ish] ITV Hub Player

Post by oldbob »

I'll mark this fully solved once ITV have fixed the problem their end, in the meantime it's [solved'ish]
Tomita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tomita »

Just received this reply from ITV after my complaint about this issue.
Hi,

Our technical team are investigating the issue with the ITV Hub on Linux devices (e.g. Chromebooks), as it seems that a recent update is preventing playback, they released a testing update last week, however this didn't fix the issue.

They are working to have this fixed and are aiming to release a completed update within the next week

As soon as we have rolled out the fix, we will update viewer from our service status page: https://help.itv.com/hc/en-us

Kind Regards

Matt

ITV Viewer Support
Living in hope!!! :roll:
I am a bear of very little brain but trying every day to do better
Dave Johnston
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave Johnston »

Hi Guys, after badgering the VPN chap till he couldn't take anymore, he actually went and found this link. I thought he was incapable, but it turns out ITV is at fault. I just wanted to ask if anybody has got any developments from ITV? This morning (10.2.20) i had the same problems. It is a strange world to me, but that BBC works and ITV doesn't, seems very strange indeed. Of course The 6 Nations is on both channels. So i've only missed half the games. England are playing Ireland on the 23rd. Maybe they will have it sorted out by then??? I was however secretly elated, that others have the same problem. It just means i don't have to resort to Valium : ))
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

If you mean have England sorted it after their defeat by France, I doubt it :)
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
trillian-42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trillian-42 »

ARGH! Having the same issue! Got my VPN up and running last night, then tried to login to ITV hub via Chromium - no dice! Then tried Firefox - no dice! Wound up having to watch the new Endeavour using my phone.
So far, I've been disappointed trying to convert to Linux -- it always seems to be something that impedes what I would like to do!
I completely wiped Windows off an old laptop of mine last year and chose Linux Mint as my distro on it.
Are there any linux distros that work with ITV?
I tried this last year as well to no avail!

My ultimate dream would be to somehow get ITV hub working on my TV using a Raspberry Pi, but, that is another Linux nightmare. :(
Tomita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tomita »

I feel your pain trillian-42 :evil: . The reply we've had from ITV suggests they are trying to solve the problem but the question is......WHEN??? In the meantime as suggested elsewhere in this stream of consciousness, try signing up to STV using an Scottish postcode - I'm sure you can find one online. Apparently I live in a posh hotel in Edinburgh!! It's not the perfect answer but it gets you access to ITV programmes. Stick with Linux. Yes there can be problems but many more benefits.
Good luck :)
Davent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Davent »

Tomita wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 pm
Apparently I live in a posh hotel in Edinburgh!!
Unless ITV England don't extract finger very quickly, hotels and cafes in Edinburgh are going to fill up to over capacity very soon!!.

I don't have the slightest twinge of guilt and don't really care about my temporary Scottish residency so long as the TV picture is good -- ITV don't provide me with local content anyway. BBC have only just come round to doing that in the North West in the last few days. South East have always had local content despite the rest of us all paying the same licence fee.

Sorry about my rant (not really) but nice to get that off my Northern chest! Davent. :P
Asus X556UA Laptop - Intel i7-7500U - 20Gb Ram - 2Tb + 4Tb SSD - Linux Mint 20 Ulyana - Dual Boot
wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

I also have been without my beloved ITV programming since late 2019 and thank those why have managed to source the issue and the STV work around...so nice to see Corrie again on LINUX!
Tomita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tomita »

Tried ITV this evening and everything appears to be working again. :D
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

Yes, indeed; it's all working again just as it should have been for the past many months.

I've searched but so far have seen no information for the reasons behind this failure but at least we are all able to use it again!
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Wifey has confirmed all is now well in the ITV online viewing land, I'll mark this fully solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”