Looking for PIN login / unlock for Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrg9999

Looking for PIN login / unlock for Mint

Post by mrg9999 »

I've been asked by a recent convert from Windows 10 to Linux Mint

Is there something like the Microsoft Windows 10 PIN login / unlock as an alternative to using a password for Mint.

They don't want to change their password to a (very insecure) 4 digit pin.

I've suggested using a simple password and integrate two factor like Google Authenticator.

Is there something more simple and the look and feel of the Windows 10 PIN?

regards

Mr.G
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Looking for PIN login / unlock for Mint

Post by Moem »

For my understanding, since I've never used W10:
how is a 10-digit PIN different from a password that consists of 10 numbers (which can easily be set as the main password in Mint)?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mrg9999

Post by mrg9999 »

I've installed Windows 10 in a VM to test it.

You don't have to change your main long complex password and it is still required for some system changes or change the pin for example.

The PIN gives you a quick way to unlock the screen by entering 4 numbers (or whatever you like)

I've since found this blog
http://blog.radevic.com/2017/11/how-to- ... short.html

--
How to set a PIN password or a short password in Ubuntu Linux
If you are looking for a way to a PIN password or a short password in Ubuntu Linux, similar to Windows 10, you've come to the right place.
The way described here changes only the desktop login (lightdm service), but can be applied to other services as well if you wish.
Also, this allows you to have your original strong password for "sudo", while maintaining a fairly easy way to login to Ubuntu desktop.
Commands can be issued in the terminal program.
Installing pam_pwdfile.so
-

I'm really looking for something more integrated and by someone who can appreciate both Windows 10 and Mint Linux.
kevin34ct
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kevin34ct »

I've been looking for this too. It may not work since we do not have an external server to authenticate us. One way would be to route authentication through an internal server. But, this would be more setup than it's really worth.
lars-o-matic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lars-o-matic »

Hi! I landed here for the same reason, looking for a Windows-like PIN login. As a longtime Windows and Linux system administrator, I figured I could shine some light on how the Windows PIN is different from a password.

The PIN works on one and only one computer. The secret is stored locally on that computer within the TPM (trusted platform module) which is a secure, encrypted hardware security module (HSM). Likewise, other secrets generated when setting up Windows Hello features (fingerprint, camera auth) are also stored there.

In networked Windows environments, the password hash is cached locally but also synced to remote Active Directory domain controllers (servers). The password can be used to authenticate to any computer in the network to which the user has permission. AD admins may require other factors for auth, like multi-factor auth (MFA or 2FA) to complement the password, and other policies may prevent login if the computer is not compliant with policy or the login looks fishy.

The PIN is not replicated in Active Directory like the password is. It's just local. You can't even use PIN if you remote to the computer, you have to use password.

And that's really it.

If the PIN is compromised, one machine is compromised.
If an AD password is compromised, many machines can be compromised.

PIN is a convenience feature which exists because passwords are hard and users hate them.

I'm hopeful we'll see rapid advancement in secure sign-in technology coming Real Soon that does away with PINs.

Return to “Beginner Questions”