Linux Mint 19.3 Archive Single Threaded?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
VoodooVinny
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19.3 Archive Single Threaded?

Post by VoodooVinny »

I am new to Linux. Been trying for years to transition, but I always got fed up each time I tried Linux before. Usually, that aggravation was from nVidia drivers and older instructions that were lacking info or had changed. Finally trying Linux again and installed 19.3. I have just noticed that Linux does not seem to use my i7-4700MQ much. I used Chris Titus Tech's Conky config and even Stacer to watch things. I am now noticing that it never gets above 25% usage and bounces around between 800Mhz and 1800Mhz with the occasional 2.3Ghz and once or twice jumping to 3.2Ghz. And it seems hotter even just idling as it rarely goes below 60C. So Linux makes the system run hotter even when I am using the Intel drivers instead of the nVidia drivers as I have an Optimus laptop. Anyway, I can't seem to get the installed archiver to compress or decompress using more than one thread. It seems odd that a modern operating system is using a program that is limited to a single thread. We have not had single threaded processors in a few decades now. Because of that, I have to ask if there is something I can do to enable more thread usage on the archiver? Better yet, better CPU usage on the whole system. Or even why it is running so hot even at low usage and while idling?

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 19.3 Archive Single Threaded?

Post by Petermint »

An archive program would use compression code from a library. The library might not support multiple threads. The compression protocol might not support threads. Are you compressing one bit file or many small ones. Multiple cores should work to compress multiple files in parallel.

Some software might use the GPU to make some compression code faster and keep your machine cooler. These things interconnect in different ways to Windows. A straight comparison using pure CPU would be valid. Anything Nvidia always creates differences and, often, problems in Linux. Blame Nvidia.

Start System Monitor. Look for other things that might be using CPU, a possible cause of overheating. Also clean your fan. The heating problem could be a coincidence.

This is a good chance to learn more about your graphics driver, the Linux kernel you are using, and all the things automatically started by Linux Mint. As an example, I never use Bluetooth and could delete it.

When everything else is working cleanly, you could report a problem with the archiver if it is not using multiple threads to compress multiple files in parallel.

I found a number of Linux programs not using multiple threads when processing multiple files. I did not request an enhancement because the processor was faster than the disk. Now I have SSD outpacing the processor and may revisit the use of threads by application.

VoodooVinny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VoodooVinny »

I have to say thank you for giving me a detailed reply. However, I have to say that it seems as if you are saying "learn your computer", "learn the operating system", and "configure it properly" before complaining, ask for help, or ask for a feature. If that is the case, then why is there a forum much less a newbie forum? Of course that also has me asking why you would pay attention to this forum if you feel that way?

My take on this is everyone is constantly trying to advance the Linux community. It has come a long way already but it is very much still lacking so much of the "out of box" experience. That "out of the box" is why Windows does well with hardware manufacturers, software developers, and end users. Without that easy experience, the community will always be handicapped as users, software developers, and hardware manufacturers tend to go together. Since advancement is the goal, maybe we should not be so critical to new people asking questions, observations, or making suggestions.

Archiver programs have been multi threaded so it was a shock to me that on Linux, the default archive program installed with the base operating system is decompressing files as a single thread. Combing the forums shows that there are other archive programs that can multi thread a decompression/compression job. This why I asked if there was something I was missing maybe in a configuration as to why the default installed archiver is only using one thread.

Heat generation on a base install onto a laptop was also strange to me. After combing the forums, this seems to be an ongoing issue and people have lost their laptops because of it. When the first laptop was destroyed, maybe the default install should have been addressed to eliminate the heat. The tldr program is on many of the "first things you do after installing Linux" lists out there. If it is not automatically installed, maybe it should be suggested after initial install such as Timeshift and root password suggestions are made.

As for me nentioning the driver, that was mentioned a few times in the forums as a culprit for heat issues. Running Linux in software mode instead of with a driver. Thank goodess the nVidia driver install no longer becomes a huge frustration like it used to be. Whomever made it so easy to install, Thank you! That is apart of that "easy experience" goal. Linux is already a huge learning curve for a majority, it becomes overwhelming when you have so many problems to overcome just to get things installed and running.

pbear
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pbear »

VoodooVinny wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:25 am
My take on this is everyone is constantly trying to advance the Linux community.
Shrug. My reaction reading the first few sentences of the OP was, "This isn't going to turn out well."

Obviously you don't like Linux. So don't use it. Simple.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

VoodooVinny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VoodooVinny »

For all of those who are actually interested in this topic. After a while of testing, I can confirm that the Archiver that comes with the initial install of Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE does multi thread compressing. I am still playing with it as everything I have tried decompressing seems to be only single threaded.

As for the overheating of the laptop, the power management just needs to be "tweaked" a little to get it to the way you want it. It seems that Linux Mint might not detect your sensors properly and will need to be checked. You can find some helpful hints on sensors and fan control over at viewtopic.php?t=262163 This will just be a start of finding what works for you.

Also, I came across a "newbie list" (can't remember where it is now as I found it when I was on my phone) to help people with Linux. The first things you should get acquainted with is 1) the Snapshots how to create them and revert to them when you mess something up, 2) take notes, 3) try one thing at a time instead of multiple things to keep from a snowball problem, 4) don't be scared to ask questions or make suggestions regardless of what you have read with the replies to this particular post so far. Even though the "forum rules" state clearly "There are no such things as stupid questions" and that "you are in the right place if you think it is a bit stupid." There are good people out there who are willing to help, but this is the internet and it is plagued with people who seem to try and get a rise out of you. 5) and don't get stuck on a single community for answers as some are much nicer and willing to help than others.

And I have to say thank you to pbear for also taking your time to answer my post. However, I have to say your reply only solidifies the stereotype of answers that people get from asking questions about Linux. I am positive there are loads of people like me who would love to make the transition to LInux, but are turned off by the complexity of it in comparison from what they are trying to get away from. When something does not seem to work, it seems to be some major ordeal as you end up trying to follow old guides that are wrong or have information missing as it seems the writer thinks the reader should already know. But the biggest turn off of Linux for many decades has been the community and the answers on this post so far seem to have not changed much. We now have, "Learn your computer hardware and learn what your operating system is doing before you can ask questions or make suggestions." and "You are having problems and have suggestions, you must not like it, so don't use it." I was hoping things have changed and it seemed that way after watching lots of Linux videos especially Wendell over at Level1 and Chris Titus Tech. Anyway, may I ask you what you got out of making these replies? All it does is waste your time and continues to brand the community.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

you could also try & see if the Mate Desktop version, of the LinuxMint System,
- is any better than the use of the XFCE Desktop, that you are currently trying out.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

VoodooVinny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VoodooVinny »

Thank you Pierre. I did not think to get Mate. My main goal was to get used to an install that was light weight enough for some for some really old computers such as Pentium 4 2.4Ghz or an MSI Wind U100 (Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz) that have 2GB of RAM. I am running a 64bit and a 32bit XFCE in Virtualbox, but a virtual machine can only get you so far. All of my problems in the past have been getting it to work with hardware, and this is why I now have the 64bit running on a spare i7 laptop. I did just see something about how Mate is supposed to be about as small as XFCE is, so it is downloading now. If I can get comfortable enough with it by the time I return to the U.S., I can then get those old machines loaded with Linux Mint and inspire young family members to slowly move away from the spyware operating systems that are being pushed on everyone now.

pbear
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pbear »

VoodooVinny wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 am
I have to say your reply only solidifies the stereotype of answers that people get from asking questions about Linux.
Your confirmation bias is showing. You might want to tuck that in.

Asking questions is fine. That"s what the forum is for. But it's disingenuous to ask a question, then tell the first person to respond that they're just another apologist. Anyone who wants to play patty-cake with you on those terms is free to do so. My post was just a head's up to the forum.

Have a nice day.

VoodooVinny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VoodooVinny »

Thank you pbear for the reply and the nice day wish. I do have to laugh at your response because it is very clear now that you are in the forums to stir up trouble. I could understand that you were confused with your first reply as you made a statement of you only read a few sentences as your reply really did not make any sense. If you have read it, especially what you quoted from me...
pbear wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:37 pm
My take on this is everyone is constantly trying to advance the Linux community.
You would have realized that I am all for helping the growth and spread of Linux. For some reason, you quoted that and responded with...
pbear wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:37 pm
Obviously you don't like Linux. So don't use it. Simple.
If all of that wasn't confusing enough, your latest reply seems to only magnify your lack of reading along with your ability to make bad assumptions from that lack of reading. It is obvious that what you quoted from me...
VoodooVinny wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 am
I have to say your reply only solidifies the stereotype of answers that people get from asking questions about Linux.
...is in direct response to your statement to me in the first reply which I quoted you above. It is no secret that the Linux community has a bad reputation of toxic people in the forums. Each time I have attempted to get into Linux, I have seen it over and over again not only to me, but to other new people asking questions, making observations, or suggestions. I am sure you do not see yourself as one of the toxic people in the Linux community, but when you make a word for word statement that has been pointed out time and time again as some of the most toxic statements made to new people such as you and Petermint did, then it is hard not to make that association. At first, I thought it was a little funny that literally every assumption that you have made in this conversation that you have been wrong since you were so eager to join the conversation in a negative light. If you truly weren't trying to be negative, then all I can do is hope that you learn to be at least more tactful to other newbie people. Anyway, I am sure that you are not going to read this, so my responses have really been for everyone else. The more I play "patty-cake" and learn about Linux, the more I can pass on what I have learned. Hopefully, we, as a community, can get away from the toxic people and the negativity to inspire others to expand their minds.

eugor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eugor »

Is there a definable reason that updating from 19.2 xfce to 19.3xfce, with the exact same hardware environment, would cause psensor heat temp readings to be 10 degrees C hotter ?
This was a consistent 10 degree C difference regardless of if at idle or under stress in stress-ng
This was an upgrade, not a fresh install.
Thinkpad T440p i5-4200M
I am just looking for clues at the scene of the crime.

VoodooVinny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VoodooVinny »

Hey there eugor. I played with 19.0 on Virtualbox for a while before loading 19.3 on this laptop that I am tinkering with. Of course I had no issues with the Virtualbox stuff. I have been trying a few things and these here have helped the most...

https://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/

Laptop heating issues seem to be quite a common thing when you search for answers. It seems that most of the time it is an issue with the software such as reading a sensor incorrectly and things snowball. That can be from not running a correct driver, a software package needs to be installed, or a package did not install correctly. The link above talks about power management programs along with parking of idle cores. I am going to guess I am going to need a program just for fans on this laptop as it even had one created by MSI when running Windows. If I come across something for your laptop and a 10 C hike between revisions, I will let you know.

pbear
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pbear »

VoodooVinny wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:46 pm
I am sure that you are not going to read this ...
It's okay, I read everything else. And I've said what I have to say.

Return to “Newbie Questions”