Name Change [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Palice

Name Change [Solved]

Post by Palice »

Hi There!

I set up a lap top for my old mum, with linux Mint on it...coz it's great.

However she is a little past learning new stuff so gave it back. I spent a great deal of time setting it up and don't want to re install everything. Can I change my log in name from Annie back to my own name?

Cheers!

Patrick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Name Change

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello, and Welcome to Linux Mint. You could just create a new user with the name you want (make sure to give it admin privileges) then delete the old one. Anything you set up as root (e.g. apps/network etc.) will be retained, and you'll be given a fresh user to play with. Alternatively if this isn't an option, you have to work around the fact you can't mess with a logged in user, so:
1) add a new temporary admin user
2) logout of your normal user, login to the new one
3) change the username of the normal user using Users and Groups
4) logout of the admin user, login to the newly renamed one
5) delete the temporary admin user
Palice

Re: Name Change [Solved]

Post by Palice »

Thanks mate. All done now. I feel all masculine an stuff :D :D :D
emorrp1

Re: Name Change [Solved]

Post by emorrp1 »

Welcome to Linux Mint, nomis. To be honest, I'd just say try again, since what you describe is exactly what you'd expect if the temp admin user wasn't created properly. If you have problems with any of the steps, just note down any error messages you get, which stage you're at and any other useful information and post back here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”