Boot for about 15 minutes! Help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
afilho193

Boot for about 15 minutes! Help!

Post by afilho193 »

Hi guys,
I am a newbie on linux and starting to develop on javascript. That`s why i install linux mint 19.3 cinammon

The boot is very slow. Taking for about 8 minutes to show the login screen and 8 minutes to appear the desktop.

My machine is a Dell Vostro 1310, Intel© Core™2 Duo CPU T5670 @ 1.80GHz × 2, 2.9 GiB RAM, 152.8 GB hd, and for video Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary).

Any other informations, i am here to provide.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AntiDictator

Re: Boot for about 15 minutes! Help!

Post by AntiDictator »

You should install xfce version on that system because your hardware is old and Cinnamon extra features like animations could slow down your system.
Also If you can afford a little SSD (even 32 or 64 GB) then you see a lot improvement in your system speed.
ALF13

Post by ALF13 »

Do booting linux mint from flash drive is faster ?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

ALF13 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:55 pm Do booting linux mint from flash drive is faster ?
Not from a flash drive.
You'd need to open up your computer, put in a SSD drive (and you would need to get a caddy for it).
There is a chance it might not work with your hardware anyway, or at least not without a BIOS update but you won't know unless you try.
If you are keeping your computer for the foreseeable future then it might be worth a go. If you are looking to get a newer computer in the next few months then you might have to live with it, but yes, install Xfce.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Note; while Xfce and/or an SSD is a great idea, a 15 minute boot on a Core 2 Duo with 3G is not anything to be expected, or to be solved with an SSD. You have a specific problem that you should debug, not a generic one.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, afilho193.
afilho193 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:14 pm Taking for about 8 minutes to show the login screen and 8 minutes to appear the desktop.
My machine is a Dell Vostro 1310, Intel© Core™2 Duo CPU T5670 @ 1.80GHz × 2, 2.9 GiB RAM, 152.8 GB hd, and for video Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary).
Note: I marked the graphics chip in bold letters.

This reminds me of this recent thread, even though that poor guy had to wait only 5 minutes for the OS to come up, not for 15 minutes:
Slow boot time Linux Mint [SOLVED]

I would not be amazed if the root cause were the same in both cases.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
ALF13

Post by ALF13 »

So my question still remains - do booting from flash drive (pendrive) is 15 min to boot the OS ?
Yes, installing xfce could help unless the pc hard drive is not so terrible. LM is my favourite linux OS by far but sometimes, just sometimes - for these ancient legacy hardware you could have more luck with other popular distros. Putting an SSD to a very very old hardware could work like a charm but also it could not work as expected. I had a PC from 2008 and installed SSD last year which improved the PC by a lot. However after 2-3 months the pc began to malfunction - at boot time it didn't recognized the SSD and the stupid motherboard put the normal hdd to the first in the boot order list. Then after several restarts, the pc would eventually recognize the SSD (Samsung evo 240 gb) and I had to enter bios to put the SSD to be the first to boot and then restart the pc again to boot from the ssd. I changed the battery, set it to AHCI, read from the forums that some other people had this issues with older hardware. I had this SSD in a new pc now and it works great. Bottom of the line is - SSD on an ancient pc could work and improve it 99% of the time but there is a slightly chance that it won't work as expected. However you can buy SSD and if you have problems like i did - you can put in another computer.

If I were you - I wold:
0. Definitely see the @karlchen post or if noluck there - search the internet to find a similar solution to your problem
1. try xfce
2. try different distros to see if there is the same problem
if it boot slow from different distros
3. i would buy ssd and install lm mate or xfce
if you have issues with the new SSD (very small chance):
4. I would install the os this pc came with or install linux mint and wait each boot
5. I would buy a new or second hand computer and enjoy life

Return to “Beginner Questions”