Yes I'm A 73 Year Young Non-Techie Newbie!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mrvalentinetemplar
Level 1
Level 1

Yes I'm A 73 Year Young Non-Techie Newbie!

Post by mrvalentinetemplar »

I have my techie installing Linux Mint on to my Panasonic ToughBook that actually was used by US Navy SEALS as confirmed by Panasonic.

They used Windows 7 and I am hopefully having all of that REMOVED by my techie.

I was wondering how much code will I have to learn to use the Linux Mint on this laptop?

I downloaded the Linux Guide from this site and have started reading it.

Any help is GRATEFULLY appreciated!

Thanks
Hugh :|
spamegg
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Yes I'm A 73 Year Young Non-Techie Newbie!

Post by spamegg »

Hey that's awesome.

You don't really need to learn any code to use Linux Mint, it works just like Windows 7 (I also switched from W7 recently).

The only possible issue I can think of is hardware support (if that military grade laptop has some very special hardware that came with Windows-only drivers from the manufacturer). But probably that won't be an issue; Mint works out of the box with a wide variety of hardware.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Welcome, from another newbie septuagenarian (aka flatulent geriatric).
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

love that comment by lady fitzgerald!!

yeah, as far as code, if you mean commands, i try my very best NOT to have to mess with that! very seldom do except when posting something here and they need more info.

i've converted several windows users to linux and every one of them have asked why isn't it more popular because it's so easy and fast.

good luck and enjoy!!
Rob0311
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rob0311 »

And here is another 73 year old...

Don't be put off by the differences with Windows. I've converted 5 systems to Linux now, including a CNC controller, and a few laptops. It takes awhile (i am not as fast as 10 years ago...) but there is great documentation on the web, and this forum is a great source of knowledge.
Just this afternoon I configured auto.master to dynamically mount shares from one of my Synology servers. Never programmed or configured systems as a job, this is purely a retirement hobby.

Using it on a laptop is very simple. I moved my windows 7 emails (thunderbird) and browser bookmarks (Firefox), just by copying the profiles. Everything works as usual, including the remote thunderbird calendars. And no annoying popups from a virus checker.

Robert
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Another Cinnamon Mint convert from Win 7 here too, though only 60 ;).

So far I've put Cinnamon Mint on two PC's and two Laptops without any problems. The Laptops are around 8 and 10 years old but both PC's are new upgrades with custom water cooling.

So far the only coding I've done is from https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

The author has some great tips and they are easy to implement via the Terminal, mostly Cinnamon Mint is just 'point and click' similar to windows but better.

BTW, you don't need to be a septuagenarian to be a flatulent geriatric, my wife constantly reminds me that I'm 'full of wind/gas' :oops: :lol:.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Just to clear something up and possibly avoid confusion...
'Coding' does not mean 'entering copied commands in a terminal window' or 'running programs through a command line interface'. It means 'programming', in other words: writing software.

If you're writing your own shell scripts, you're coding. If you're using other people's shell scripts, or single commands, you aren't coding.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
HappyHippo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HappyHippo »

Here a 61yr young kiddo :D

Just download the live/installversion and create a dvd or usb stick with it. Yoou can easy try the live versions of different distro's and if you find something you love and that works with your hardware you simply can install it.

You will be amazed :)
jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

Yeah, sorry, young guy here, only 72 :lol:

But I've enjoyed using Linux and BSD for 25+ years. I also use Windows, but ... it pays the bills :roll:

Anyway, an OS is an OS, but some software is built only for the Windows OS. I don't game, so everything that I do in Linux is with a Linux-native application. I have found that when it comes to office applications (as an example), a file created in one OS can be perfectly viewed and edited in the other 99.9% of the time. And the rest of the time, the uniqueness in Windows or in Linux adds nothing to the final product - so why worry!
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB
oldbob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldbob »

Apologies to Moem, I got my terminology quite wrong, I did in fact mean 'entering copied commands' and not 'coding'. I am in no way a dev or programmer, just a simple user from the dark side... I meant no offence.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

oldbob wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 pm
I meant no offence.
And there wasn't any. No apology needed; we're all here to learn, I was trying to help people learn something. It's fine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Rich J
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rich J »

Hi Hugh! I'm in my 70th year, so not so far behind!

I too switched from Windows but back in the Vista days.........!

Mint iterations are designed to work 'out of the box' and are fully loaded with (probably more) than most general users would ever need. There 'can' be issues now and again but these can usually be worked out ok. If asked to post information from the Terminal, remember to copy and paste the code directly into it - this ensures no typos and then it's simply a matter of copy/pasting the results into your post. No question is stupid - we've all been 'newbies'!

Like many new to Linux, I tried out a few different distro's before settling on Mint, v12 IIRC was the 1st. I've never once regretted the move, even when things didn't go my way, but more to do with my lack of knowledge than faults with the distro. Linux isn't Windows - thank goodness, it is truly yours! You can, if you have the desire, adapt it into anything that you like. You can add or remove software if you find a better alternative (remember ALWAYS to add from the official repositories unless directed otherwise from someone you trust ie: gurus from this site). Linux is as secure as it's possible to make it - if you follow the guidelines and don't add software from unknown sources you will be fine. No anti-virus required! How about that? No defragmentation! No BSD's!! (Though to be completely honest, you might get a black screen occasionally but nothing to panic about!) Before long, you'll even be dispensing with the services of your techie............. :wink:

Take your time, read up on it and don't be afraid to try out a few things. Post on here if you get stuck. Welcome to the light :D

Rich
Rich J
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome to all the newbies. Whether you are into coding or not. Linux Mint is a great alternative to Windwoes.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
lamar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamar »

Welcome aboard, youngsters.
I will turn 79 in a couple of weeks and have been on Mint Cinnamon for three years without a system failure on four computers. Only problems I have had were created by me, NOT Mint. I started computing in the DOS days with a HP XT with one meg of ram, 10 meg hard drive which the shop said I would never fill up. He was right.
lamar
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

mrvalentinetemplar wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:44 am
I have my techie installing Linux Mint on to my Panasonic ToughBook that actually was used by US Navy SEALS as confirmed by Panasonic.

I was wondering how much code will I have to learn to use the Linux Mint on this laptop?

Thanks
Welcome to Mint and the forums!

My advice is to use the basic programs you normally use, like your web browser and email. Then start branching out to others that you may need like an office suite (the one that comes with Mint is great and is called Libre Office).
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Hi mrv...plar,
Welcome to the forum! 71 here and pretty much just took the plunge myself, actually twice, on two different HP laptops. And I may do a Mac! Enjoying getting away from Windows and learning something new, have no regrets so far, not anticipating any! You'll find lots of great help here so enjoy the new experience!
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Coding or scripting necessary in Linux?
Not really.
The paradigm is no different from Windows with the DOS CMD line which is handy but certainly not necessary.
The DOS CMD line can be considered as Windows answer to the Linux "Terminal" and most casual users of Windows O/S don't even know it exists let alone use it or consider it "necessary".
Some things are a lot easier to do in Linux using the "Terminal" text command line interface.
It's not rocket science. :mrgreen:
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

mrvalentinetemplar wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks
I have a mothballed legacy Panasonic ToughBook with w7 on it.
It has a tricky wifi card which will sometimes start on boot up and sometimes it won’t.
I wrote a .bat script that I placed on the desktop that will start the wifi if it’s in a pernickety “mood” and decides not to play during normal startup but it’s a pita.
I will follow your Linux installation with interest with view to installing Linux Mint on my ToughBook in the future.
It seems that most problems with Linux installs is wifi connectivity.
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jebbers »

Linux is a lot better in ways. I use it for copying and organizing data. I find it to be easier and more reliable than Windows. It is different and it takes a little bit of learning. Be patient. It's worth it.
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon Pentium© Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz × 2
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I'm 70+ and use Windows, Linux, MacOS in various computers for various purposes.
Understanding the reasons that some thing happen or don't happen in regards to inter-OS compatibility is like anything else ... follow the money.
The money is in proprietorship and that's why we have copyright laws .
If a free OS can support everything a commercial OS can support who the heck is going to buy the commercial OS?
That's why you'll never see a Microsoft Office suite, Photoshop, or Turbo Tax for Linux or anything but awkward "hit or miss" work-arounds to play commercial DVDs in Linux. :mrgreen:

Return to “Newbie Questions”