Yes I'm A 73 Year Young Non-Techie Newbie!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Yes I'm A 73 Year Young Non-Techie Newbie!

Post by MartyMint »

mrvalentinetemplar wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:44 am
I have my techie installing Linux Mint on to my Panasonic ToughBook that actually was used by US Navy SEALS as confirmed by Panasonic.

They used Windows 7 and I am hopefully having all of that REMOVED by my techie.

I was wondering how much code will I have to learn to use the Linux Mint on this laptop?

I downloaded the Linux Guide from this site and have started reading it.

Any help is GRATEFULLY appreciated!

Thanks
Hugh :|
What an incredible story.
Armstrong
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Armstrong »

I'm not a techie either, and I'll be seventy at my next birthday. I refused to take computer classes in college because I didn't want to haul cardboard trays of punch cards everywhere. That said, the command line isn't that daunting. You need to acquire some skills with it, but it is not difficult, and the folks here (thankfully far more knowledgeable than I) are always willing to help. In many cases, they will provide the necessary line for you to simply "copy and paste". For the most part, you can function quite comfortably with the GUIs, but you will need to use the BASH console at some point. Don't be intimidated. You can do it.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

The Panasonic CF-19 Toughbook I own runs various distros of Linux very well.
The ones I tried (with success) were: Linux Mint v19.3 XFCE, MX Linux v19.2, Peppermint Linux v10 all 64 bit.
Even the touch screen works.
You have nothing to worry about. I foresee no issues.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

mrvalentinetemplar wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:44 am
I have my techie installing Linux Mint on to my Panasonic ToughBook that actually was used by US Navy SEALS as confirmed by Panasonic.

They used Windows 7 and I am hopefully having all of that REMOVED by my techie.

I was wondering how much code will I have to learn to use the Linux Mint on this laptop?

I downloaded the Linux Guide from this site and have started reading it.

Any help is GRATEFULLY appreciated!

Thanks
Hugh :|
That is a great story. I just came across your post tonight and was wondering how your Linux Mint experience has been so far. Let us know how it's all going for you. Good luck on your journey.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Blessings mrvalentinetemplar !

I've got you beat by at least 4 years, but I have been a techie for a VERY long time ... my first unlimited access to a computer was on a Bendix G-15 ... a VACUUM TUBE computer with a 4 k rotating drum memory and a Teletype console. That was back in the early 60's. I have been mainly (and now nearly exclusively) running Linux Mint for nearly 10 years when I retired and discovered LM 8 Helena Gnome as a LiveMedia system.

I raise a few eyebrows on this forum from time to time, but I only run Linux Mint Mate, and I ONLY run it from LOCKED USB Kanguru drives. With the absolute electrical lock engaged, there is NO way any malware can be embedded in or left on my system and I always reboot before I do any financial transactions. My drive is partitioned into a fat 32 boot partition just big enough to fit the boot image (about the same size as the iso image), and a second EXT partition. The EXT partition is required for making Linux Mint scripts and programs executable. I put all of my updates, upgrades (especially Firefox), deb files, and initialization scripts (set time zone, spin down hard drive, load updated Firefox and video codecs (lm18), etc. in this "0_ME_FIRST" partition. I have an assortment of other USB drives for various purposes. These are TRIVIAL to backup frequently. I also keep old versions such as LM15 ... it is the last version that PROPERLY supports my old LaserJet 5000 TABLOID size printer.

I'm currently having problems with LM 20 because I can NOT find any way to get rid of the annoying Modal Dialog on Shutdown/Restart that hangs waiting for the operator to "remove the installation media and hit the ENTER key". I was able to avoid this in Mint 13, 15, 17.2, and 18.3 by using UnetBootin to create the image on my USB drive from the iso file, but that doesn't seem to work for LM20. The only consolation is that LM 20 seems to consistently shut down faster than LM18.3 Mate, which often goes into a 30+ second pouting session before it shuts down ... BUT ... I can walk away from it and it ALWAYS does shut down without any operator intervention.

One of the absolutely BEST features of Linux Mint is THIS Newbie forum. The people here are GREAT. Many of them are VERY knowledgeable and very gracious as well ... maybe a few strong opinions at times ... but VERY helpful.

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Webtest wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:56 am
This is totally off topic but I love your avatar! And totally agree with it. I completely abandoned HDDs a few years ago and exclusively use SSDs, having a drool worthy stable of them.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

To quote the old saying "Age is just a number".

I may be wrong about this but my suspicion is that there are a very great number of your age group, including me, who manage to use Linux Mint and probably many other distros, me included. I even installed it for my wife who now simply can not manage to use Windows 10 in spite that being needed for a volunteer job she does. I also have huge problems with Windows 10 and use it only because there is no other choice. Uuugghhh! It's horrible!

I've been using Linux, including Mint, but many other distros as well, exclusively for over 15 years, my only Windows use in that time on my own machines being virtual installs of XP to update a SatNav device that would not work with any Linux distro.
solarbear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solarbear »

not to long ago, a family member in their 70s asked me for help to get their outdated MAC airbook straightened out, and as i was googling the OS and finding answers, it became apparent, this is racketeering and it is rigged towards the ignorant. I was going to load mint on it and be done with it after i saw how apple was stripping OS support in such a way as to extract funds to update the dumb-os or even worse, forcing users to buy new units. Then i thought, if something goes wrong with their mint DE, and i can't be there with that laptop to provide the solution, the user won't have a working OS and well, i opted out. There lies the problem, linux is not for the user that needs their hand held, they have to be resourceful enough to find answers on their own. Years ago, i thought, it is windows or mac or nothing, then i acquired a PC that had mint installed on it already and after that, it wasn't just a windows or mac world of home PC use, there was another option, and the gratitude grew every time i found answers to the fabled question " If i did it like this in windows, how do i do the same thing with my Linux OS? and well, 90% of the time, the answer was apparent, you can do those same things with linux that you thought you needed windows to do. The only real issue is those dreaded applications that will only load on the MS platform, and for those, i still dual boot , but it brings great glee to know that my acumen grew to the point that i only need windows for those few applications. I enjoy the thought that when i do boot MS,i can self-proclaim "i haven't seen this DE in a while"

And for the most part, the terminal is nothing to fear, what you see is that for the most part, it just gets pasted commands from web pages. The reason you see so much command line instructions from the sages is that it is cross-DE, it works the same with any ubuntu flavor.
ken49
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ken49 »

Just noticed this thread. I too am over seventy. Started using Mint 19.3 about six months ago. Have now updated to dual booting Mint 20 with Mint 19.3 until I get used to Mint 20. This was done with the help of another forum member. My main experience of Linux before this was with Puppy Linux the many flavours of which usually run well on older hardware. My wife, who used windows machines at work and has a windows 10 laptop, also likes using this machine which is another reason why I still have Mint 19.3 on it as it is familiar to her. Glad to see others around my age on the forum and using Mint.

Regards,

Ken.
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

Gawd strewth!!!!! This forum is full of old farts!!!!!
Which makes me one also at nearly 71...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

kato181 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 am
Gawd strewth!!!!! This forum is full of old farts!!!!!
Which makes me one also at nearly 71...
Hey, watch who you're calling an old fart! I prefer "flatulent geriatric"! :wink:
Jeannie

kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

hahahahah
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi all,

As I approach my final year as a seventy something year old, it is good to see the posts on this thread. The word 'community' could not be more aptly used to describe what this forum is all about.

The more I explore Linux operating systems in general and Linux Mint in particular, the more confused I am that so many use Windows as their first choice of operating system when a Linux system will do what they want with less fuss and probably more consistency.

I am keeping hold of Windows 7, albeit disconnected from the internet and in a dual boot arrangement with Linux Mint 20, but that is mainly because I have an elderly Canon scanner with 35mm slide and negative scanning capability for which there is no Linux driver available. I also have a stand alone desktop Linux Mint 20 desktop purchased original with Ubuntu 18.04 installed but I preferred Mint so installed that as soon as the warranty finished. In addition I have Xubuntu 18.04 installed on an external usb hdd (that will likely be changed to Mint in the future). Using live media has also been a bit of a preoccupation of mine especially using various Puppy Linux distributions. I have a copy of Knoppix installed on a 16gb usb stick - I'm not that keen on it but it copies the system to RAM on bootup which makes booting slow but running somewhat quicker once booted unlike traditional live media with persistence. Knoppix comes rather bloated so I spent a fair time cleaning out unwanted software - it is, however, a useful reserve and allows access to drives should the main system fail to boot.

My own computer experience began in Education in the late 70s early 80s. Younger British forum colleagues may remember Research Machines, BBC/Acorn and Acorn Archimedes systems from their school days. When I retired from full time teaching, my establishment was well into phasing out the Archimedes network and phasing Windows 95. I didn't own my own computer until 1999 when I purchased a Windows 98 desktop with a whole 2GB of RAM which I later increased to 4GB. I negotiated the millennium without incident.

So much for nostalgia.

Well mrvalentinetemplar, join the club, you are in good hands.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Kester wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:53 am
...I am keeping hold of Windows 7, albeit disconnected from the internet and in a dual boot arrangement with Linux Mint 20, but that is mainly because I have an elderly Canon scanner with 35mm slide and negative scanning capability for which there is no Linux driver available...
Have you looked into VueScan? It's a paid program that supports obsolete scanners and ones that don't have drivers for certain OSes, such as Linux, that are not supported by the scanner manufacturer. It's a bit pricey but the license is lifetime and you can have up to four devices connected at a time. It will also support scanners that are not TWAIN compliant. I use it for my flatbed scanner (Cannon 9000F) and duplexing ADF scanner (Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500). There is a learning curve but I've been happy with it. Tech support comes from the developer himself and is pretty good.

You can check for compatibility with your scanner here: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/canon.h ... er-drivers
Jeannie

Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

"Have you looked into VueScan?"

Hi your ladyship,

Thanks for your suggestion. I had heard of Vuescan but not previously investigated further so I thought I'd check it out after your post. My scanner is not listed although there were others in the same Canon series so I downloaded the free to try software (which includes a watermark in the results) just in case my device was compatible. Unfortunately the software couldn't find my scanner. However, your suggestion will be very helpful for others reading this thread as Vuescan does work with an impressive list of machines and the fact that you can try as long as you like before commitment (subject to the watermark in the results), is useful.

Cheers.
Jerry N
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jerry N »

You septuagenarians think you are old but old is when you are halfway through being an octogenarian! And I am less than a year from that point. My first experience with computers came in the early 60's when I was designing flight simulator hardware that was connected to a room full of EAI analog computers. By the early 70's I was learning Fortran IV on an IBM mainframe and writing hardware test programs in BASIC on a HP Mini computer.

I don't do Fortran (or Pascal, or LISP) any more but I do a little program writing with Gambas (neat stuff) and Python (aaargh).

Jerry
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

One thing you get used to quick in computing is that there's lots of "snake oil" (cure all that ails you for a fee) gimmick peddlers after your hard earned dollars. :idea:

Return to “Newbie Questions”