[SOLVED] installed Linux mint won't boot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rame
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] installed Linux mint won't boot

Post by rame »

Note- I read many other answers to the same query but I either did not understand (:|) or they were specific to computer models.

I installed linux mint, chose "something else" as an option while installing thinking I will erase the old windows 7 on my C drive saving data on my D and E drives. Linux won't boot from the hard drive. I don't understand the solutions that referred to UEFI and Legacy BIOS.
Please help.

Computer model
HP Compaq Presario
Last edited by Moem on Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can and should do this for your own topics. Thanks!

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: installed Linux mint won't boot

Post by decrepit »

Anybody that can help you will need a lot more info, it would be a good idea to read "how to get help".

rame
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rame »

Thanks for the reply.
What other information do i need to post here to seek help?

Kadaitcha Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

rame wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:17 pm
Thanks for the reply.
You can't miss it, it's at the top of this page, in red, and says...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

rame wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:17 pm
To start, post a picture of Gparted showing your hard drive. Don't forget to click on the "view" menu and enable "show device information".

You can also post the command output:
sudo parted -l

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

A Win7 pc, quite older hardware by today's standards, was typically BIOS not UEFI and so it uses the MBR disk partitioning scheme instead of GPT.

On the screen where you did the things of "something else", like selecting / and whatever if any other partition if you're doing something fancy, there's also the option for where the bootloader is to be installed at the bottom. Using an MBR disk you will typically choose something like sda (that would be disk 1, or "a" even though Windows refers to it as "C") and that installs to the MBR, as opposed to sda1 or sda2 or 3 which is a partition of that disk, which could come into play using an UEFI/GPT partitioning scheme or some other advanced multiboot scenario.

If you have 3 physical drives(example "C", "D", and "E"), then Linux will recognize them as sda, sdb, and sdc.

If you are sure to "install the bootloader to the MBR of sda", and you have the 1st drive marked as the bootable drive in BIOS then this should work without any issue.

rame
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rame »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I went through other similar threads and read their issues and suggested solutions.
zcot wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:55 pm

If you are sure to "install the bootloader to the MBR of sda", and you have the 1st drive marked as the bootable drive in BIOS then this should work without any issue.
Thanks zcot for your suggestion. I followed your advice and reinstalled linux mint creating BIOS bootable USB drive and installing as you suggested in your post. It worked. :D

Thanks again.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

Excellent!

Good job rame, you are welcome!

Return to “Newbie Questions”