I Flashed Linux iso to an SD Card and now my pc won't recognize the card at all.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
justindwalker87
Level 1
Level 1

I Flashed Linux iso to an SD Card and now my pc won't recognize the card at all.

Post by justindwalker87 »

I Flashed Linux iso to an SD Card and now my pc won't recognize the card at all. Has this happened to anyone and what can I do about it? Thanks

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I Flashed Linux iso to an SD Card and now my pc won't recognize the card at all.

Post by decrepit »

have you tried booting from the card? What OS doesn't recognise the card?

justindwalker87
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I Flashed Linux iso to an SD Card and now my pc won't recognize the card at all.

When I go to open up the BIOS thing, it gives me and option to boot from usb but not sd. And it's on windows 10, thank you so much for trying to help!

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

Not knowing your hardware, I think it quite safe to say................

First, do you have the SD card plugged into a card reader slot on the PC ?, that probably won't work (on most machines) to boot from, hence your problem.
OR, do you have it in a USB card reader (adapter/"thing") ? That will (should) work.

Just did quick research; "apparently" if the onboard card reader is USB based this will work, if the card reader is PCIe device, (Most likely), you will not be able to boot from it.

EDIT; OK, Win10...
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

justindwalker87
Level 1
Level 1

ok cool, very much appreciated! It's plugged into the pc. any thoughts on how to get my computer to recognize the sd card once again? It makes a sound when I plug and unplug it but it won't come up for me to reformat it or anything. Thanks again

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

If you don't have SD boot option you can not use the card. Make a bootable USB stick instead.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

justindwalker87
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you

missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

why would you want to use a slow read/write thing like an sd card to boot/install from anyway? man, that would frustrate the heck out of me!

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

justindwalker87 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:25 pm
ok cool, ... any thoughts on how to get my computer to recognize the sd card once again?
It's got a boot flag on it now, or whatever...anyway have a look here.
https://superuser.com/questions/301129/ ... t-a-device

and follow the link to the second answer too, no downloads...
https://www.howtogeek.com/170794/ask-ht ... n-sd-card/

using windows DISKPART>
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Return to “Newbie Questions”