sound disappeared

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oboedad55

sound disappeared

Post by oboedad55 »

I've had Mint 7 installed for several weeks. Today the sound disappears. Login sound work and then zip. No settings have changed, only one sound card. Sound works with other *buntu distros.
Here's the output of aplay -l:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SI7012 [SiS SI7012], device 0: Intel ICH [SiS SI7012]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

TIA,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: sound disappeared

Post by Husse »

This card seems to be a bit problematic
One solution I see is (but possibly to old a solution)
The SiS7012 sound card will work by removing Alsa modules and enabling the corresponding DSP driver (i810_audio). You need to configure XMMS to use the DSP (in XMMS options).
Now don't cry if you don't get it - this is the last resort and I'll help you with it you need to go there
From your post I get
card 0: SI7012 [SiS SI7012], device 0: Intel ICH [SiS SI7012]
ICH means that it is Intel HDA and it is very probable that the standard solution for all kinds of problems with HDA works
You change model to what ever you have or auto or some more exotic model like in this topic
You may have to try many different "models" to get it to work - brand or model ...
Note the link to a post in the Ubuntu forums for a list of "models"
oboedad55

Re: sound disappeared

Post by oboedad55 »

Okay, I'll try to keep my tears in check. I tried some suggestions from someone else and I wound up with no volume control, etc. Just a big mess. I reinstalled. That usually fixes things! :D I keep my /home directory backed up, so reinstalling is pretty painless. At least I don't need to hunt around for a special code or call someone to get another that will unlock the OS.

Thanks for the reply!

Jon

Return to “Beginner Questions”