Do I really need to install all available updates?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
keteddie
Level 1
Level 1

Do I really need to install all available updates?

Post by keteddie »

Hi, I have been using Mint for several months after ditching Windows and very pleased with myself for doing so!
My question is, do I really need to install all the updates that show up in the task bar? For example today it had two PDF updates which I did not install because I haven't had any problems with the PDF reader that comes with Mint. My questioning of this relates to the main reason for ditching Windows, too many updates!

cheers,

Eddie.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title: Made it more descriptive

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Updates?

Post by gm10 »

Software can have security issues and other bugs, the updates are meant to fix those. Whether on Linux or on Windows. Unlike Windows, LInux Mint gives you the choice whether you want to install them, but it should be common sense to do so. You can let Update Manager do it for you automatically (see Update Manager > Preferences > Automation).
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Do I really need to install all available updates?

Post by pbear »

The simple fact of the matter, Eddie, is that you have neither the time nor the expertise to evaluate which updates you need and/or are worth having. (Nor do I.) Understand, those updates are one of the reasons you don't need an antivirus app. So, just go with the flow and trust the developers to have good reasons for what they do. Honest, they're busy enough that they're not doing make work.

By the way, if you don't like the idea of automatic updates (I don't), another option is to switch to weekly. See Edit > Preferences in Update Manager. This way, you're not constantly peppered with updates, but you retain control and your system indeed stays up-to-date.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

I also discourage automatic updates, because updates should always be done consciously. So that they won't ever interrupt or damage your work.

You can simply ignore the blue shield that indicates available updates, until you feel like installing them. Thus you won't even need to change the default preferences. After all, it's not "in your face".

A weekly interval like pbear advises seems reasonable.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

The weekly update could also be synchronized with Timeshift: 1. Start Timeshift 2. Install updates. Test it. In the worst case you have the system status of 7 days ago. With 2 or 3 Timeshift snaps this should be almost foolproof.

As a reminder: Timeshift does a system backup. The personal data need a different backup strategy.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Also remember, with M$ you always get the "hurry up and wait while we...." In linux it's "I'll wait until you...." All updates are usually over and done with in the background with out any real interruption to your workflow. I generally install them as convenient with little or no fuss. I would always dread "patch tuesday" in Windwoes, here updates are available as, and when, developed and never interrupt workflow.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

No doubt it is better to be discriminating with updates IF you have the prerequisite knowledge and experience to do so in a meaningful way.
Honestly answer the question: Do I have a clue what the update description is saying?
With windows the decisions are pre-made and you can’t pick & choose ... when the steamroller cometh your going to get rolled flatter than a pancake whether the updates are beneficial to your system or not.
A Linux newbie coming from a Windows environment might think the involuntary update paradigm is the same.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

Manual update is better. You can plug into mains power before starting the update. You can plug in external disks for snapshots. You can:
Timeshift snapshot.
Backintime snapshot.
Unplug external disks.
Update.
test.
Reboot.
Test.
Plug in external disks.
Timeshift snapshot.
Backintime snapshot.

When you see updates for applications you are not using, it might be time to delete the applications you are not using.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Some (the minority) users are capable of understanding the update descriptions and will bother to update selectively and prudently.
More often than not they'll download and install the lot, cross their fingers and hope for the best.
Just as many won't bother with the updates at all just like they did with windows before Redmond started force-feeding their O/S updates.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Minux1 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:48 am
Just as many won't bother with the updates at all just like they did with windows before Redmond started force-feeding their O/S updates.
Linux Mint doesn't target mor*ns. I'm glad that the defaults of Update Manager don't assume that I'm a mor*n. :mrgreen:

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Minux1 wrote:
Some (the minority) users are capable of understanding the update descriptions and will bother to update selectively and prudently.
Someone has prudently handled available software updates on Linux Mint here since version LM 12 in the good old Ubuntu way. :wink:
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

that's why they're called updates! security and bug fixes just like windows, only linux updates install in a matter of seconds, unlike windows where feature updates can take hours, and even most cumulative updates take 20 minutes.

i can do a fresh install of linux in the time it takes windows to update sometimes.

personally, first thing i do is check for updates and install them as soon as i turn the computer on. sometimes even checking for updates before i see the blue shield in the manager. i even manually check for updates a few times every day and get those before the manager indicates there are updates.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:21 pm
Minux1 wrote:
Linux Mint doesn't target mor*ns. I'm glad that the defaults of Update Manager don't assume that I'm a mor*n. :mrgreen:
We never ask for them but they never seem to be in short supply.
"It's free so I'll get my nerd buddy to install Linux, give me the nickel tour and we're off to the races ."
That's the grand summation of the thought process for more users than we care to admit.
If they ever open update manager it'll be by accident and just as many will open terminal as often as they opened the DOS CMD prompt interface in windows.
FREE & EASY is the order of the day. :mrgreen:
Case in point: I installed Linux Mint for an old school buddy on a legacy w7 computer when w7 EOL'd.
He wants to send his emails, surf, watch the odd YouTube on fly fishing and not be bothered WITH ALL THAT NERD STUFF.(his words) :mrgreen:

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Minux1 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:06 pm
Case in point: I installed Linux Mint for an old school buddy on a legacy w7 computer when w7 EOL'd.
He wants to send his emails, surf, watch the odd YouTube on fly fishing and not be bothered WITH ALL THAT NERD STUFF.(his words) :mrgreen:
Rub his nose in it:

Cinnamon:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID3.6
(item 3.6)

MATE:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID3.7
(item 3.7)

Xfce:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... tml#ID3.11
(item 3.11)

It's what I've done on the machines of some update avoiders. Worked miracles. 8)

Return to “Newbie Questions”