Error messages when booting but seems ok?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Error messages when booting but seems ok?

Post by colski »

When I turn the PC on I get error messages appearing quickly as LinuxMint loads up. They last less than a second, the screen then goes blank, and a few seconds later I get the login screen.

When I enter my password I can get in.

However, I can't see what the errors are.

What can I do in case there is something that will eventually lead to bigger problems.

Thanks,
Col
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Error messages when booting but seems ok?

Post by zcot »

You can run the terminal command: dmesg -and this will show you any of the errors you see pop up from during boot. Scroll though that list of items to find any relevant Errors, or Warnings, or other info. You could actually run a more discrete command to look at errors only, but I figure this is a good way for you to see what's happening during boot. Also, btw, you can press the [esc] key when you see the Mint logo during boot and it will toggle the screen to see messages.
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colski »

Thank you for that. I will check it out this weekend.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

To shorten the output to exclude regular informational messages (there will be lots) use

Code: Select all

dmesg --level=alert,crit,err,warn
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
peo62
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peo62 »

Might it be something like "mei_me 0000:00:16.0: less data available than length=00000005" ?
That's what I get. No clue why, and no problems experienced...
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

peo62 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:14 am
Might it be something like "mei_me 0000:00:16.0: less data available than length=00000005" ?
That's what I get. No clue why, and no problems experienced...
That's a power management error and utterly irrelevant to this thread. You should start your own thread.

You might like to click the link at the top of the page. You can't miss it, it's in red and says...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Return to “Newbie Questions”