partition question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

partition question

Post by jstich »

I have vista dual booted with mint 19.3. I shrank the disk and got 20 gb of space,which I installed mint onto.I have 174 gb free on the ntfs partition.Can I use gparted to make a partition of 50 gb in that? Then I think I can format that 50 gb to ext4 to accept the mint installation. Also if I do this will I need the vista recovery disc to make the vista os properly boot? I don't have the recovery disc.I dual boot now easily. Any help is appreciated.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: partition question

Post by Pierre »

you should do that operation, from the LinuxMint Live Media,
& you can also shrink the windows partition, by that 50Gb & then also extend the existing LinuxMint system, into that vacant area.
- - this should *not* affect the LinuxMint boot method, either.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

Thanks for the help.Which operation should I do with the mint usb drive? I thought I'd need to use my installation of mint on the hard drive to access things.I'm also confused as to which os I should use for which operations. Can you give me a step by step guide to do this? This is still very confusing after many hours of study. Thanks again.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

Can't give you step by step, my memory is too faulty to rely on. But you can't partition a mounted drive, that's why you use the Mint install media, and that's all you need. Grub should still handle booting into Vista, with out the need of a windows recovery disc.

jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

Yes I remembered I can't partition a mounted drive a bit ago.At least I'm learning. But the ntfs partition says that it is not mounted .The mint installed part must be mounted but that is part of the hard drive. Or do I boot with my mint usb drive then access both mint and windows installations? So confusing.Thanks for the help.

jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

Booting from the usb mint drive I get the option to resize/move the ntfs partition when I hit the partition button in G parted. It shows the minimum and maximum size as the same number.(284734) The new size also shows that amount.Free space preceeding and following is listed as 0. I put numbers in those spaces but still the resize/move button isn't operational. I tried shrinking it through windows but the only field that can take input is the field for shrinking it,which I put 70000 mb for a 70gb space. and the shrink button isn't operational either. Can I only shrink the volume once? That's how I got the mint installation on the hard drive.

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Right-click the partition you want to shrink; select the resize option. At the top of the dialogue box, there will be a graphic representation of the partition. On the right side of the graphic, you can grab a slider with your mouse, then move the slider to the left to indicate how much to shrink the partition. In general, I find the slider method more reliable than fiddling with numbers in the boxes. Remember to click Apply to execute the operation.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

After many hours I couldn't get the partitioning to work like I wanted. I ended up just installing it on the 278 gb part. It erased the windows partition.As I wrote windows wouldn't allow me to enter any parameter except mb size after shrink. The shrink button wasn't operational.

Return to “Newbie Questions”