Add Shutdown & Restart buttons to Panel?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coyote2
Level 3
Level 3

Add Shutdown & Restart buttons to Panel?

Post by coyote2 »

How can I add Shutdown & Restart buttons to the Panel and/or Desktop in 1.9.2 Xfce, please?

I found a 2013 thread that suggested going to "add applets" (which I can't find) to use an applet that apparently worked once he installed consolekit.

As a noob, I'm a little scared.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: Add Shutdown & Restart buttons to Panel?

Post by wyrdoak »

on the panel left click, scroll to add new items, right click, scroll to action buttons, right click, on the add, then move it to where you want it on the panel, left chick you new addition, scroll to properties and check the ones you want, sorry using a left handed mouse so all my click are backwards
:roll:
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

you can also do it by right clicking on your Whisker menu button, go to properties right click , then click your command tab , select the button to want the show on top of your start menu push close, now the ones check should show when you click you whicker menu I remembered the ri8ght click this time :D
Racer-X-

Post by Racer-X- »

Applets is a Cinnamon thing.

For XFCE, right click in the panel (in the clock or in the linux mint logo for the menu are good places, there are some parts of the panel that might not show the correct context menu). Select Panel->Panel Preferences from the pop up menu. If you don't get "Panel" as the last choice on the menu that pops up, try a different spot on the panel.

On the Panel Preferences window, there are three tabs, Display (which is where it usually opens), Appearance and Items. Select the "Items" tab. Use the "+" button to add a new item to the panel. Select "Action Buttons" and push the "add" button, and then the "close" button.

That should add the item to the panel, and you should (probably) see your user name appear at the end of the panel. The default is to have a menu with your user name as the text for the menu. To change that, go back to the Panel Preferences window and click on the "Action Buttons" item at the bottom, then click the settings button (looks like a wrench on a piece of paper, or sometimes like a gear, and has the tooltip popup that says "edit the currently selected item". That will pop up the "Action buttons" configuration window. If You want buttons on the panel, change the "Appearance" setting from "Session Menu" to "Action Buttons." You can also select which buttons appear, and whether there are spaces (separators) between the buttons. When the panel looks like you want, click the "Close" buttons on both the "Action Buttons" configuration popup window and the "Panel Preferences" window.
coyote2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coyote2 »

Sweet! Thank you very much wyrdoak for helping me save a lot of mouse clicks and movement!

Edit: And now I've added buttons to the Whisker menu thanks to you, and also used Racer-X's advice to use separate buttons on the panel, I love it, thanks very much both of you from a grateful noob!

Return to “Beginner Questions”