[SOLVED] Mint size & file structure

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
OldMan-theSea
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint size & file structure

Post by OldMan-theSea »

I know this info is somewhere on the Mint website or in the forums but I can't find it so:

(1) How large is Mint on the hard drive? How much resides in RAM while running?

(2) Is the Linux file structure compatible with Microsoft? Specifically, if I work on a Linux machine and save work on a thumbdrive can a windows machine read the file? (I've never used Linux although I used Unix 30 years ago.)

Thanks.
Last edited by OldMan-theSea on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint size & file structure

Post by Neil Edmond »

(1) The Linux Mint Blog shows the system requirements for the Cinnamon edition to be 15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).

(2) If your thumbdrive is formatted to a file system both systems can read, then there should not be any problem. FAT32 is such a file system, and pretty much the default for USB flash drives. NTFS is another file system that both OS can work with. Windows cannot read native linux file systems such as EXT, etc., but I doubt anyone would format a portable drive that way anyhow.

OldMan-theSea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OldMan-theSea »

Thank you

OldMan-theSea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OldMan-theSea »

Now I have a follow up with the same question.

I made a bootable 32GB stick with 19.3 xfce to match the size of the machine I want to install it. When in the file manager it shows only 1.9 GB free! That suggests it's bigger than Windows 10 which defeats the purpose.

Am I missing something or is there a way to shave off the apps I don't need or want? All I really need is LibreOffice writer, a browser and a pdf reader. LibreOffice impress would be helpful to include but not really needed.

Help!

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Doesn't matter whether you use a 32GB or something else as small as 4GB to make a bootable installation USB, the entire partition will be allocated. Has nothing to do with the space required for a full install.

OldMan-theSea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OldMan-theSea »

I was just figuring that out when you replied. But I can't resize the partition because the tool (in windows) says there is no partition table on the medium. And apparently I can't resize it in Mint because it's in use, even the file partition.

I wanted to test it out on the stick to see how it would do when installed on the machine. (slower, of course) That raises the question of whether it would repartition the hard drive if I install it. Would I have unused disk?

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

During the installation process, you can choose the size of the mint partition. I've always used the "other" option, I'm not sure what happens if you choose, "alongside windows".
There's also a thing called "timeshift" this can use heaps of memory if not set up carefully, it's probably best to use an external drive for it.

OldMan-theSea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OldMan-theSea »

When/If I install it on my hard drive, my motivation is getting rid of Windows so I would want to wipe it away and have a Linux only machine. Is that option obvious in the installation?

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

yes that option is very obvious

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

As has been stated, the installation medium will always show as "full" regardless of the size of the actual installation. You can boot from that in safety because, until you tell it to install, nothing gets changed. The smallest USB stick I use is 4Gb and that works well. If you want to, with a larger stick, you can set up "persistence" which then means it works more like a regular OS allowing you to make changes, save documents and preserve your session from boot to boot.

You can eventually elect to install Linux completely or dual boot with Windwoes until you feel comfortable in Linux. Yes, the "blow everything away and instal Linux ONLY is very obvious.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

OldMan-theSea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OldMan-theSea »

Thank you, everyone. I have two extra questions.

I re-downloaded the iso file to my stick. (Don't ask why, you'd then know I dumb I am!) The integrity check was fine but the authenticity check would not run. It kept saying it did not recognize the gpg command. I reloaded the file several times, rebooted, and even redid the whole thing again but it still doesn't know gpg. This is from the same mirrors I got it fine yesterday (Univ of Washington & Harvard). Is it probably safe to go on with it assuming it's the same iso's that passed yesterday? If so, I'm about ready to install, otherwise I'll just keep retrying until it shows clean.

Also, I chose xfce because it's light on resources. The Mint site says Mate is faster than Cinnamon. Is xfce also faster?

Thanks.

Return to “Newbie Questions”