Cloning to a Slightly Smaller Drive with Clonzilla

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
User avatar
JerryF
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4385
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:23 pm
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Cloning to a Slightly Smaller Drive with Clonzilla

Post by JerryF »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 am
...
Methinks I was not clear when I asked if Aptik was partition sized like Clonezilla. I did not mean to imply Aptik was cloning. I'm guessing it is more like imaging in function except it's (probably) proprietary. Clonezilla is extremely sensitive to partition and disk size whether you are cloning or imaging. I was just wondering if Aptik needed for partitions to be the exact size when "restoring" to a partition on a different disk or if allows a bit of leeway (as long as the data will still fit). I'm asking just to see how religiously I need to size the partitions.
No, Aptik doesn't need the partitions to be the same size. Aptik "replaces" the files from the backed-up system to the freshly-installed system.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 pm
Location: AZ, SSA (Squabbling States of America)

Re: Cloning to a Slightly Smaller Drive with Clonzilla

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

JerryF wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 am
...
Methinks I was not clear when I asked if Aptik was partition sized like Clonezilla. I did not mean to imply Aptik was cloning. I'm guessing it is more like imaging in function except it's (probably) proprietary. Clonezilla is extremely sensitive to partition and disk size whether you are cloning or imaging. I was just wondering if Aptik needed for partitions to be the exact size when "restoring" to a partition on a different disk or if allows a bit of leeway (as long as the data will still fit). I'm asking just to see how religiously I need to size the partitions.
No, Aptik doesn't need the partitions to be the same size. Aptik "replaces" the files from the backed-up system to the freshly-installed system.
Cool! Thank you!
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 pm
Location: AZ, SSA (Squabbling States of America)

Re: Cloning to a Slightly Smaller Drive with Clonzilla

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:14 am
...If you are 199.99% certain that size of the partitions in the source image will not extend beyond the end of the destination disk then you can turn off checking sizes in Clonezilla's advanced options...
I can make to that screen in Expert mode but I don't know for sure which one to select nor how to select it. Can you help me here?
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Cloning to a Slightly Smaller Drive with Clonzilla

Post by deepakdeshp »

:wink:
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:14 am
...If you are 199.99% certain that size of the partitions in the source image will not extend beyond the end of the destination disk then you can turn off checking sizes in Clonezilla's advanced options...
I can make to that screen in Expert mode but I don't know for sure which one to select nor how to select it. Can you help me here?
https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/ ... -param.php
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 pm
Location: AZ, SSA (Squabbling States of America)

Re: Cloning to a Slightly Smaller Drive with Clonzilla

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:40 pm
:wink:
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:14 am
...If you are 199.99% certain that size of the partitions in the source image will not extend beyond the end of the destination disk then you can turn off checking sizes in Clonezilla's advanced options...
I can make to that screen in Expert mode but I don't know for sure which one to select nor how to select it. Can you help me here?
https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/ ... -param.php
Thank you very much! It will be a day or two before I can work on this (life keeps happening).
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”